Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 730 guests, and 230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I thought I'd start this to consolidate any hunting or trapping experiences for this year. Let's hear 'em!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Rumor has it that Nate and Justin put this up:

http://home.windstream.net/tomf42344/

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
While I can't take credit for that one, I do have similar plans! As soon as Mae turns 6, I am for sure building an elevated deer condo.

I will get the pics started for this thread and surely James and others will follow suit even though we have seen a couple pics already, I like the idea of putting em all under one roof for the future.

Opening Day of Waterfowl 2009:

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No signs of deer life this evening. There was a bat still flying around near dusk tho. I think I'll pound those Woodies tomorrow evening before they leave for greener pastures. N8LY: How'd you do today on the waterfowl?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I wish we could hunt on Sundays!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
CJ, where can't you hunt on Sundays, VA. or PA.?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Both states...

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I guess we're a bunch of heathens up here. \:D

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You should hear the battles that go on between those who want Sunday hunting and those who don't on the hunting forums for PA and VA. It can get ugly... I am sorta glad you can't hunt Sundays here. Gives me one day to get things done. Gotta get to bed here, the alarm clock is ringing at 0430 hours...

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mine is set an hour later than yours, but that's only because I'm a mile and a half into Central Time. This week should be iteresting! Just in the past few days the number of deer killed on the highway have more than doubled. I put my nephew in a different stand tonight and he said he had a 3 point moseying around his stand for 45 minutes, at times <10 Yds. We can only shoot one buck per year, and this one was a 6 point that had one half of the rack broke off. So, he wisely passed for a bigger one. 17 yr old, and hasn't shot a buck with a bow yet. He's learning!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Gotta give him credit... I have told myself if I aint mounting it I aint shooting it this year. I've passed up a couple bucks I probably would have shot in years past. PA you can only shoot 1 buck. VA you can shoot 3. I am gonna be patient and wait for a nicer one.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My buck criteria is its got to be either a) bigger than what's on the wall now or b)a nice non-typical or c) 2nd to the last day or the last day in the season and I haven't done well that season. I did shoot a big "doe" a couple of years ago that was a buck with a broken leg that dropped it's antlers.

Here's how much the leg bone was overlapped and it started to fuse together.

He's a pretty good kid. He's got to drag a ladder to the back of the woods tho before the snow flies. I found one of his arrows about 15' off the ground in a tree - he tried to shoot a squirrel from the deer tree stand and missed.....

Last edited by esshup; 03/01/10 07:57 PM. Reason: fixed links

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I took my Grandson, his friend and friends dad yesterday for Youth Hunting Weekend here. Trevor and I only saw a couple of does and he is looking for a whopper buck. The other Kid and his Dad saw 3 scrub bucks that are now illegal to shoot here. The rack has to be 13.5 inches wide or outside the ears. The other Kid shot a pretty nice doe yesterday afternoon. Heck, I still have venison from last year.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
Lunker
Lunker
A

I'm inspecting/cleaning the moose, wilest my hunter is looking, he is taking good care of my game,for no.
205 kilos is a pretty good zise around here

PAUL
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Now that's the way to handle moose! My biggest concern about Elk hunting is getting the animal out of the woods. There are areas here that don't allow any vehicles, so you have to debone the animal and pack it out on your back. Not an easy task when you live down near sea level and are out of shape and you shoot the animal up in the mountains!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good news/bad news. My nephew shot his first deer with a bow @ 5:00 p.m. today. I watched the deer jump, then run for 20 yds, then walk for a short way. I lost him in the woods shortly after that. My nephew was in a tree stand 150 or so yds away from me, so I didn't really know if he hit it or not until right after 6:00 p.m. when I saw the flashlight. He thinks he hit a bit far back (no nasties in the blood trail tho, which is good), and we tracked it for slmost 200 Yds by flashlight until the blood pretty well petered out. I'll be out there at first light to see if I can finish the tracking job. Hope the coyotes leave it alone tonight. It was a 35 yd shot, I think it was a 4 point, or a 6 point buck. The arrow had blood 24" past the broadhead, and I thought I could see blood on the opposite side of the deer right after the shot, so I think it's down, I just have to find it.

I'll have an update tomorrow, hopefully with pictures.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Good luck! Probably best to let it go tonight if you are unsure of the shot. Hopefully it's a good liver shot and you'll recover him. I've been having dismal luck the last couple days. Tomorrow I go to the dentist to finish up a root canal... Then headed to PA afterward for Friday and Saturday hunting. Hopefully a little more peaceful hunting in the mountains. I am fed up with listening to leaf blowers and construction noises in the suburbs.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Now that's the way to handle moose! My biggest concern about Elk hunting is getting the animal out of the woods. There are areas here that don't allow any vehicles, so you have to debone the animal and pack it out on your back. Not an easy task when you live down near sea level and are out of shape and you shoot the animal up in the mountains!

The same kind of rules you find in a lot of places around here.
But luckely horses are havng a renesance, wich means there are horses available to pull out the game for us, in a lot of such places.
but every so often we have to carrie it or pull it out.

PAUL
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well, bad news. No deer. I tracked the deer for just under a quarter mile according to google earth and lost he blood trail. I was able to find a couple of friends that had the day off and we grid searched the surrounding area that the deer was headed (approx. 10 acres) and couldn't find anything except a hind leg from a deer that the coyotes had for dinner about a week ago, and the jawbone from a fawn that was probably a few months old. There is a cornfield in the direction that the deer was headed, and I'll be heading back out in a bit to see if there is any sign that the deer made it to the corn. 3 3/4 hr of searching so far, not including the 1.5 hr spent last night. Unfortunately, the day is getting warm and I don't know if the deer will be good to eat in a few hours.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Any luck Scott? I have lost my share of deer and I know how disappointing it is. I am pulling for him.

Mikey

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No deer. I could find where a bunch of deer were entering the corn in a bunch of places, but no sign of blood. AARRRGGGGG!!!!!!

Backtracking the blood trail, removing all the pieces of survey tape once I reached my property I found the other part of the arrow. I don't know what caused the carbon arrow to break 2" in front of the fletching (there was blood 3" up on the fletching). He is shooting either 50# or 55# draw weight, the broadhead is a 100 grain G5 Montec.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Sorry to hear that.

His setup is more than needed to take deer all day long. I have started using the Rage 2 blade broadheads this year. I shot a buck Saturday night. He went further than I expected, but the trail was the best I have ever seen. From the time I shot him until the time recovered him only 15 minutes passed. The entry and exit wounds were huge! I love these broadheads.

Anybody else use them too? Do you have more experience with them than I have?

Mikey

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
This is opening morning of Texas deer season and here I am sitting on my butt looking at PB. My 11 year old Grandson has a football game at 10:30. First opening morning I remember missing. I'll be there this afternoon.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Our firearms season opens a week from today. Good luck this afternoon!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I use the Montec G5 100 gr and have killed several deer with them. This year I switched to the newer G5 CS as the blades seemed much sharper. Yet to use it on a deer as I am having some bad luck getting a shooter buck in front of me.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails