Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy
18,517 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,993
Posts558,294
Members18,518
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,577
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
12 members (Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, Fishingadventure, nvcdl, DrewSh, DPSMESA, catscratch, Sunil, cgoetz1, tim k, Rick O, esshup), 993 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I
I'm looking to buy a new feeder for my 1 acre pond and the two I'm eying are the Aquapro ADF-75 and the Moultrie MFHF30. I was looking for input on which one would you guys go with. The feeder will be placed pondside no dock as of yet. I was looking at Native Outdoors website and those two were in my price range 350-450$. If there are other feeders out there I should look at please inform me. Thanks for any input.

FYI, bass & bream pond

Any type of fishing is good fishing!!

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Lots of opinions on feeders here, check recent threads.

What size feed are you going to be using? This can be very important in choosing a feeder, as some do not handle larger pellet size well, and the likelihood of a jam can go way up.

I
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I
I will be using Aqumax 500/600 feed.

Any type of fishing is good fishing!!

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
IMHO you will either find a way to invest a little more and buy a Sweeney or Texas Hunter, or eventually wish you did.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Bing is correct sorry to say.

Native has never returned an email request for return number going on couple months now.

Aqumax hasn't replaced two timers sent in to them about same amount of time. Plus, A recent purchase requires 14 days to register from date of purchase. Well it took more than 14 days
to get deliver. Second, thier website wouldn't accept registration for whatever reason. An, Even if website worked you still have to send in by mail proof of purchase.

For Moultrie MFHF30 have No experience.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Both of those are kind of middle of the road feeders. Ive heard bad things about both of them. For the price I think moultrie may be a better choice. there been alot of complaints on here about problems with the aquapros. I have 2 Texas Hunter feeders and believe they are the most dependable and best built feeders on the market. Ive had them for 2 years without even having to change the battery, just add feed know that its getting the job done. It worth the extra money to never have to work on it.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
IJWF, I sell all of those mentioned. Search some threads here and you wil find lots of info. I wish you would give us a chance at your sale as well. Our rpices are jsut as good and heck we are even in the same state. My main point is I'm not sure why PB folks continue to buy from non PB advertisers/contributors.

Aqupro- had many issues but they seem to have fixed them with the new timer. It throws food farther than the Moultire and overall good prodcut with good folks working for them. Sometimes have issues with inventory.

Moultire- feedcaster is prety cool in desingn. It has had leak issues for my clients. Ours here not been a problem with leaks. Also the remote goes bad quite often. It throws a more broad pattern and not as far out.

Sweeney- we sell very few these days. Good feeder but to me no longer the best to spite being more expensive.

TX Hunter- the best feeder money can buy. best inventory and customer service as well.

I agree with Bing as well.

So not sure I helped make your decision but that is our feedback and hope it helps you decide.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It should be quite easy and fast to call a pond boss advertiser and/or contributor. They also will verify the facts you obtain on this forum. Without the advertisers it would be more difficult to have this good forum as well as our Pond Boss magazine. More of us --me and you need to rethink our purchases. The ones I have worked with have been very congenial and this means a lot. Our remarks our meant to help us rethink and reevaluate so we become more accustomed to going in this indicated direction. I have not meant to come down on anyone only to make a suggestion.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Texas Hunter. Expensive, and worth every penny. Not one single problem with mine! I think this is one of those things that you get what you pay for.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Gents;
Greetings - I'm looking at adding a feeder to my pond as well, so figured I'll jump in on IJWF's thread.
I've been a member for about 4 years now, but usually just read and not post much. Anyway, I understand the thought process and benefits of supporting our advertisers, but why wouldn't I use a 200 lb. deer feeder that I can purchase fully equipped for about $175 vs. a $450 - $500 dollar feeder through the fish-feeder side of the house? I'm looking at small pellets for blue-gill, and the corn feeders seem to fit the bill.
300 bucks is darn near a weeks wages - if I can go this route, why wouldn't I? Has anybody tried a corn feeder and with what results?

Thanks;
Joe

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Joe:

Most of the corn feeders aren't directional, so unless you have access to a boat and some sort of a tripod to mount them above the water, the won't get all the feed to the water. I tried one cheap directional feeder, but with the raccoons here, they made quick work of the rubber impeller. I went with a Stren ADF75, and it's worked well for me.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
My neighbor mentioned buying a fairly long piece of HVAC duct, fitting it over the spinner of a deer feeder and directing the other end over the water 8 or 10 feet. That seems like a cheap way to make sure all the feed gets into the water. It may not look pretty but it ought to work. Otherwise you could drive a 4x4 piling into the lake bed and fashion a method to attach a deer feeder to it then refill from a boat.

3 Ponds: 8.5 acres, 1.5 acres, 0.5 acres
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Actually, I haven't seen a good directional corn feeder and I've tried several of them. A deer feeder with a shield around one side will work but you get a lot of $$ feed on the ground. I think I would just build a small floating dock if I were going to use a deer feeder. Put a wire varmint excluder around the motor and timer.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
We have been around feeders for the last 10 years and I have never seen plenty of fabrications. Never have I seen a homemade feeder last more than a couple of years, most not work long at all.

You can force it to throw out in directional plane but the barrels are not made to handle the mositure of being over a feeder and fish food is diff than corn, so just keep that in mind. Heck you can support a advertiser we sell deer feeders as well, \:\)

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
"Otherwise you could drive a 4x4 piling into the lake bed and fashion a method to attach a deer feeder to it then refill from a boat."

Doesn't sound very convenient to me.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
BEAR PROOF

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
AP: How's filling it from the boat working? I've filled them from a boat by myself, and while it's possible, it's work!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A

Piece of cake......I let the gray haired guy do it.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm buying Texas Hunters myself, I just thought I'd pass along some ideas some inventive folks I know have tried. I'm all for supporting PB advertisers but isn't this site more than an advertising conduit? Don't throw me under the bus for being independent and trying to share some non-advertising-related ideas, please.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
And Greg I will buy my feeders from you if you honor the same "sale" prices TH posts on their site.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
bodock, thanks and we can do better than "sale" prices. Just let us know your a PBer. Next spring I take it b/f purchase unless you plan on feeding trout.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Greetigs again;
Bass pro carries a digital controlled, 200lb directional feeder for $130. Solar charger and battery are about another $40. It's sounds like a good way to go to me. I'll keep everybody posted if I go this route.
The feeder is advertised in their fall hunting catalog.

Joe

J
Lunker
Lunker
J

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
not trying to be a jerk but again we sell those and less money but hey if folks want to support bass pro go right ahead. Mr. Morris did let us have the conference there. This unit has been reworekd it had major issues before. We jsut got one for client so hope it works for him. Ron at BA told me the changes are good ones. You have to use a high setting to add quite a bit of food. We do nto promote because they are not the best built but if clients ask we sell that line and get them for clietns for $95. Joe this product was the one featured under a thread "new cheap feeder" and well discussed.

Last edited by Greg Grimes; 10/28/09 04:08 PM.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Joe, it may have been reworked. If so, ignore my comments but I was given one by a Texas fish stocker and it is a piece of junk.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
Trees on dam
by cgoetz1 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
How much feed?
by tim k - 05/06/24 06:30 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
What did you do at your pond today?