Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver
18,525 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,004
Posts558,410
Members18,525
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,596
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,157
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lina, tim k, FireIsHot, FishinRod, andrew davis, Brian from Texas), 1,087 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#187531 10/13/09 02:39 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am a big fan of game cameras. Seems a few others on here have them as well. I love looking at game camera photos, whether mine or not... So I thought I would start a thread for anyone who uses game cameras to share their best/favorite photos. Perhaps others who have thought about getting one and haven't might decide to after viewing this post. One of my favorite brands and models is sold by Greg Grimes if you are looking for a place to get one.

A couple of my favorites:

My big buddy...

Ice Storm Turkeys

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Here is one from last year.

"Pigs on the Wing"

More to come

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Another nature pic. I like this post.

Taken from a Moultrie I40. I purchased two last year. One stopped working because of an ant infestation. The flash on the other stopped working. Sent both back to Moutrie and received warranty replacements within a week. Very happy with them.

Last edited by DavidV; 10/13/09 01:12 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I like the pigs... They're just getting a foot hold on our land in PA. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing. I hear they can make a real mess. The few pictures I have gotten of them has always been at night.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Great idea for a thread!  I have been thinking about a camera and the many posts recently with photos from everyone's cameras have been making it tougher on me!  As mentioned in my very first forum post, we bought 30 acres almost 2 months ago and our land and the surrounding area has a tremendous deer population.  I have cut some trails in our woods and done some work in one hickory grove where numerous trails all seem to come together.  I built a feeder and a stand for it and am feeding regular old deer corn, but also have a couple of Trophy Rocks nearby.  It appears the deer, racoons, squirrels, and even some ducks are absolutely going crazy over the new food source from all the poop and other signs and I'd love to get a camera to catch the action.  Here is a shot of the feeder.

[img][/img]

So, what brands and features do you guys think are important or overhyped marketing when I get serious about looking for a camera? Seems like a lot of them have featuers galore, but I wonder how many of those actually get used. Thanks for any input and keep the pictures coming - CJBS is right - the shots are awesome!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
CJ, hogs hit my land about 3 or 4 years ago. They were all over the place and made a real mess in my small water holes. Now they seem to have mostly left but will come back. One of my neighbors has about 60 acres of coastal bermuda that they have pretty well rooted up and destroyed. I just haven't had much problem. They have dug up some Johnson Grass to get to the roots but that's OK with me. I need to spray it next Spring anyway. What has amazed me is that they have grazed my wheat like cattle. My Grandson shot one and we cooked it up. It was OK but couldn't compare with good ham or pork.

In the areas where they are still plentiful, neither shooting nor trapping has fazed their numbers. Being nocturnal, there are just no control measures that can be used for them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Todd, those deer, coons, turkeys and probably even bears have got to be loving you and your corn feeder. I can't legally feed the deer right now on our land in PA as it is illegal to hunt over or near feed so it mostly a winter thing after the hunting seasons to see what deer we have left and a summer thing to see what we'll have to hunt the upcoming season...

Greg Grimes sells the Moultrie I40 Game Spy I40 I have had good luck with it and ones similar to it. It's a hair over $200. Buy a couple 1GB or 2GB SD cards for it and 6 D cell batteries and you are good to go. The batteries last quite some time. I have had them last over 2 months and 8000 photos. That can be a big factor is cost, as some other cameras are battery hogs. The picture quality is quite good as well, and it will also take video. It is IR so there is no flash which can spook game, particularly game not used to flashes...

Most guys I know, once they got a game camera they get pretty addicting and I find myself almost as excited getting a nice buck on camera as I do shooting one! HAHA

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the camera recommendations, Travis. I just found another thread on cameras under the Product Sources heading that Brettski just revived from last year. Haven't read all of it, but there are several comments about the Moultrie there as well, along with some other interesting comments on other brands. This may end up as a Christmas gift idea!

The feeder seems to be drawing them in well. A buddy of mine who helped me do some work at the farm bow hunted a few weeks ago during a one week early bow season WV implemented this year. While he was in his stand near this feeder, he watched 17 deer, 6 coons, and bunch of other small animals and birds come and go. An interesting thing was that the deer weren't yet ready to hang around when the feeder went off, but seemed to know when it was 7:15 a.m. as they all walked away right before it went off. He thought maybe a big buck or a coyote or something was coming because of the way the other deer all trotted off, but then the feeder went off right after they had all disappeared. He didn't realize it was set for that time and it gave him a little start as well! Another friend who helped me build this one and it's twin (which has yet to be placed) said that the deer will spook for awhile, but after some time they get totally used to the sound and the flying corn and that it will act like a Pavlovian dinner bell for them. I saw that firsthand at one of his last year - within 10 minutes of it going off, I shot a really nice doe who, along with about 5 others and a little spike buck, had walked in.

So, long and short, I bet you're right on that I'd get hooked on seeing what's coming to feed and, like you, I really do like the idea of getting great pics almost as much as shooting something (though I do like shooting stuff!).

Todd La Neve

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yeah, the guy who owns the property to the east of ours has an automatic feeder. You can hear it going off from a mile away... I suspect many a morning when I am not seeing anything I know right where they are! HAHA I use a gravity feeder so I don't have to mess around with batteries and can feed protein pellets.

There are a lot of good cameras out there. Much of it depends on what you want to spend and just how good a quality picture you need/desire... Some brands really tout trigger speed, basically the time it takes for the camera to activate and take the picture once the animal triggers it. Cuddeback, a fairly expensive brand is really big on touting their trigger speed. When setting up on a game trail, this can be important as by the time the camera triggers the animal may have already walked by leaving you with an empty pic. But if you are just setting it up on a game feeder, it has little importance as the animal is just gonna be there stuffing it's face...

I've been using game cameras since 2004, back when they were all film. I have owned several different brands so if you need advice on setting them up, where to put them etc, feel free to ask... I really think you will enjoy them!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Great idea CJ to add this thread. Todd we sell 7 brands of cameras so feel free to ask questions. greg@lakework.com
yes many features. For me persoanlly there are a few important features;
does it work consistently
easy to use
battery life
quality of picture
infared (better)
longevity
The Moultrie I40 is my best seller, $180 for PB clients btw and come with 1 gb card. I also sell good many cuddebacks and new bushnell camera (it is tiny and uses AA batteries that last). I have been trying out the Wildgame innnovation camera to see if I got a cheaper option that works well. Good luck and I suggest reading reviews of the cameras as well.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have been eying the Wildgame Innovations myself as a cheaper option... The reviews I have read are looking pretty good. I may break down and get one and give it a try.

Greg, I don't see it listed on your website... Do you have the model(s) you carry and its price?

And I know you must have a couple good pics to post Greg!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here's one from last year Moultrie I-40

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I have been so busy not gotten any good pics. I will have cameras up soon to start getting buck pics. I do not have our widlife stuff up on website. Working on that this winter. IN the mean time just email what product you want and i will get you prices. WGI trying ir4 next week still in package (picked up from PB conference). Got the S4 right now. Having issues reading card. s4 is $72 and ir4 is $92.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the camera ideas, guys. Greg, I saw your similar post over on that other thread and it looks like you raise some good considerations when buying gets closer to becoming reality. I'm going to check out your site and see what you have. It sounds like you are reviewing the line Travis mentioned, so I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that as well. Sounds like there are a lot of options.

Travis, thanks for the offer of sharing your experiences on actual use of the camera. Once I make a decision, I'll keep you guys posted and will definitely want to pick your brains on those details to make my usage a little more effective right out of the gate.

Now let's see some more pics!

Todd La Neve

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
I am a big fan of the moultrie i60 i have 1500 pics and the batteries are at 78% I owned bushnell and would never go back to them(100 pics on a set of batteries. the bushnell would shut down once it got cold also but maybe they have made improvements the bushnell is 3 years old now. I have heard good things about cuddeback. Here is the biggest buck coming to my plot. [img]http://[/img]

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Those Canadian deer sure do have huge bodies! That is one huge deer! How much do your buck typically field dress out at?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
A few more pics...

My big wild boar from last year

Redtailed hawks fighting over a gut pile

Fighting deer

Wood ducks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice pics! Did you ever get the porker??

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Nope, the few pigs that are around are nocturnal and smarter than any deer...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Those are really cool pics. Wow. I need a game camera more than I realized! My wife is gonna be thrilled with you guys planting these ideas in my head! At least this is probably one of the most inexpensive ideas that someone could come away from this forum with, though - it's not like I want to build another pond yet!

Todd La Neve

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Todd, this wildlife supply thing is new. I apologize but do not have products online. I can sell about 50,000 products and another 15,000 marine products I ahev nto even begun to sell yet (great deals on fish finders).

Here is my biz plan. I want to have folks do their own research then flip me an email on what they are interested in. I get some good discounts with this wholesale company. I get 10-15% above cost. It save clients 15-20% off retail from big box stores. It might be a poor business plan since most every business owner needs 30% markup to make a living but this is nto primary business for me. So far quite a bit of time spent and not much money made but if nothing else I have helped several buddies stock up their huntin supplies. Any warrnaty reapir/info will need to go thru the manufacture and I tell client that up front. Now I also rep several manufactures, Moultrie, Wildgame Innnovations, Texas Hunter, Equalizer Treestands, etc. I get even better deals on those and pass it on and if having trouble with those I'm here to helpout. Anyway now you know. Let us know if we can help and hope to have seperate url complete this winter with some wildlife products. I also this will lead to more wildlife services since we are wildlife biologist as well. I will try to not mention this anymore because fell like being agressive salesman and that is not me, just wanted to get word out. Other feel free to mention in post I might get that for someone but not going to pipe in so much with this info.

Great pics CJ hope to add a few on here soon for ya. Blair very nice mass.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Greg got this absolute monster 8 point on camera and told me to post them for him... It has to be the biggest 8 point I have ever seen!

I think I'd have a heart attack if I saw him in the deer woods...

Here a few videos my game camera recently took. I have been trying out the video mode a bit more often lately and have been enjoying it. My camera will take 30 second day time videos and 5 second night time videos.

A 9 Point

An 8 point who just had to taken a dump for the camera

A very high and tight 8 point

Another 9 point

Gimpy is a buck I've been watching for a couple years now. He must have been hit by a car. He is prime example of how an injury to one side of a deer's body affects the growth of it antlers on the other side of the body...

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
CJ, looks like you'll be spending alot of time in the woods waiting for that trophy.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
thanks CJ. No luck on him so far. Had him at 35 yds and no bow shot and then again glimpse of him in the thicket at 60 yds. Then I got the pic and now pressure from buddies to get him. Waiting to go back in after him on next cold front. Dave said some consider 8 pts a cull but not him he likes them. Well me too if this is a cull I will take them all day long.

Good luck on your PA hunting adventures. And nice vid clips. I too got some moultire vid clips the other day. Might move the I40 over to the big guy and see if I can get video.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
CJ, that red-tail hawk pic is awesome.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
How much feed?
by tim k - 05/11/24 04:55 PM
curly leaf infestation
by jim100 - 05/11/24 01:49 PM
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/11/24 11:19 AM
Did I accidentally kill my fish?
by Theo Gallus - 05/11/24 10:15 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FireIsHot - 05/11/24 08:38 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Pat Williamson - 05/11/24 08:01 AM
Aquamax Largemouth for Yellow Perch
by esshup - 05/10/24 11:13 PM
Very sandy soil
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/10/24 08:08 PM
Low pH, low Alkalinity in Fresh ponds/Lakes
by Stressless - 05/10/24 01:08 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:53 PM
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 12:07 PM
2.5 Acre Pond Gone! work/restroation thread
by Stressless - 05/10/24 09:17 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification