Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,764
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Snipe, simon, Steve Clubb, Boondoggle, esshup), 756 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#187561 10/13/09 07:17 AM
A
Anna Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
I was reading a farming article this past weekend that explained how one farm can have several different micro-climates due to elevation, tree lines etc. Was wondering if any of you took this into consideration when planning what to do with your land.

I have a field on the high side of my property that is edged on the North, east and west sides by trees. The field seems more protected from the cold winds and I decided to put in a fruit and nut orchard there. Does it really matter?

When I divided up an aerial photo of my land I found that I actually have four different micro-climates. Would love to hear your thoughts on whether or not you think this is important or just more junk science.

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

Anna #187562 10/13/09 07:23 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It can have some difference. Particularly north vs south facing slopes... The forest communities can be very different depending on which way the slope faces. Elevation can play a factor, but that is usually pretty large changes... I am not sure how much elevation change you have in southern Alabama though, but I would suspect not enough to have a major difference. An interesting example is in northern Virginia where I live, you can grow fig trees on the southern exposure of a house, but the fig tree will usually winter die on the northern exposure. We are right on that border line and it makes all the difference.

CJBS2003 #187585 10/13/09 09:06 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes it can make a difference. I suggest you think about them not as climates but as micro-systems as there is much more than just climate involved. Soil contents (type and chem makeup) are critical along with drainage and the inhabitants (plant and animal) along with all the climate factors like wind , rain , sun etc.

ewest #187622 10/13/09 12:40 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When I lived in Ca., I would have frost some nights while a friend that lived down the street (at about 25' higher elevation) wouldn't get a hint of frost. I do believe in micro-climates.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #187666 10/13/09 05:36 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My apple tree guy says to plant fruit trees here on a northern facing slope. I believe it's because when planted on southern exposure they will bloom too early due to warmth from the sun & the buds will freeze.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
West Virginia has many climates, and it goes all the way down to small properties like our 25 acres. We sometimes see as much as a 5-7 degree difference from the front to the back of our property. As EWEST says, soil can vary greatly too. We have a piece of property a few miles from our home. It has white sand that goes down nearly 200 feet. We owned the property directly across the road, and it was extremely rocky clay down nearly 200 feet. The microclimates are especially noticeable in the winter.

In just a few miles we have several very distinct rain-snow lines. When we get that 6 inches of snow, there may be nothing but rain two miles away as I cross into Virginia. In the summer, we generally get considerably more rain than they get 10 miles to the east of us.

They are calling for snow 50 miles west of me this weekend. 50 miles east of us, they are calling for rain and temperatures in the high 40s.

Microclimates are real.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
A
Anna Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to make sure I plant the right things in the right places. Trees are expensive! I know I'll lose a few but I'd like to keep that to a minimum.

We actually have about a 60' difference in elevation from our top pasture to the basin where our pond sits. I've noticed definite temperature and soil differences. The area under the trees and around the pond has sandy soil with lots of organic matter. The soil in our top pasture is mostly arid and sandy and is right at this moment supporting (arghh) a large crop of prickly pear cactus.

I can stand on the north side of the damn when the wind is out of the south and blows across the pond and it is at least 10-15 degrees cooler.

Thanks for assuring me that I'm not over-thinking this project. I sometimes can get a little OCD on these things.:)

AHAHM

Anna #187680 10/13/09 07:51 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Anna:

I learned thru doing that when planting trees, the best way to keep them growing fast is to mulch around the tree out to the drip line from the crown, and keep any other plants out of that zone - less competition for nutrients and water.

Bunnies like to chew on the young trees as well, so some sort of trunk protector for the first few years is worth it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #187681 10/13/09 07:53 PM
A
Anna Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Thanks Scott. I didn't think about the bunnies...

AHAHM

Anna #187709 10/13/09 09:08 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Everyone of us with a pond has a built in micro-clime. The consistent temps of the water mass govern and regulate extreme temperature changes of the surrounding landscape, perhaps up to a couple of hundred feet from the shoreline.
The city of Chicago is a perfect example. The big pond always keeps the city temps in check while the outlying suburbs will react closely to the extreme temperature changes that might occur when a front sweeps thru.

Brettski #187715 10/13/09 09:34 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Everyone of us with a pond has a built in micro-clime. The consistent temps of the water mass govern and regulate extreme temperature changes of the surrounding landscape, perhaps up to a couple of hundred feet from the shoreline.
The city of Chicago is a perfect example. The big pond always keeps the city temps in check while the outlying suburbs will react closely to the extreme temperature changes that might occur when a front sweeps thru.

Excellent info on a topic I find fascinating. Thanks BSKI

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Brettski #187757 10/13/09 11:34 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Brettski knows this, but some here don't. It all depends on which way the fickle winds blow. Lake Michigan is to the East of Chicago. If the temps are really cold, and the wind is out of the West, then the whole city is cold. If the wind is out of the NorthEast, then you'd better grab your snow shovel. Lake Michigan will contribute greatly to the snow falling, sometimes the snow is BECAUSE of Lake Michigan. It's called lake effect snow and can dump 2' or more of snow on the city, while outlying areas are sunny and snow free.

Here in Indiana, I'm on the fringe of the lake effect snow belt. 5 miles away might be snow free, and it could be like a blizzard here. We've had lake effect rain this year as well. It's been a weird year!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #187783 10/14/09 06:24 AM
A
Anna Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Scott your post made me think of a question about wind direction. When the weather report says "North winds" does that mean they are blowing from the north or towards the north? This is something that has always confused me.

AHAHM

Brettski #187795 10/14/09 08:23 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

A huge plus one.

In So Cal my home is in close proximity to the ocean. This reduces the potential high temps in Summer and increases the potential low temps in winter. Drive a mere 2-3 miles inland from my house and you will see significantly higher (15 degrees hotter is not uncommon) summer time temps and significantly lower (20 degrees colder in winter). The ocean is a huge temperature stabilizer.

At our pond property the air temp surrounding the pond can be 10 degrees cooler than up in what we call our "upper meadow", which is only about 1,500 feet from the pond and about 150 feet higher in elevation. We notice a real difference in moisture levels on different areas of our property as well. The east facing slopes stay wetter than do the west facing slopes. All things this city boy has noticed while mowing the property.

Something I think is amusing that I figured out the other day while looking at the property bill of So Cal compared to No Cal. We could fit 201 of our So Cal lots on our No Cal property. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Anna #187810 10/14/09 09:38 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Anna
Scott your post made me think of a question about wind direction. When the weather report says "North winds" does that mean they are blowing from the north or towards the north? This is something that has always confused me.

Anna, when the weatherman says that, he's saying where the winds are coming from, i.e. a North wind is coming from the North, blowing South.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #188493 10/20/09 04:03 AM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
What you should do is try this link
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/document/PDC2.pdf
If you get in to it its a new world, I visited my sister living in Wales UK. and we did a day trip with the kids, to "center of modern thecnolegy" near by her place.
My oldest son, made me buy him a book, "The Basic of Permaculture Design" by Ross Mars.
It has become my favorit book/recepie on all design on my land ever since.
Got wery confused at first because things didnt ad up, but when I understood that I had to turn things around, north is south, and south is north, every thing fell in place.
(R. Mars living down under (Australia)and my self in Norway))
I have mesured big temp. difrences do to litle elevation difrence, and wind chil factor can easely be reduced, with this planing.
I have hardly any plants/threes dying any more.

PAUL

PAUL
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Another good link on the matter:
http://www.permanent-publications.co.uk/

PAUL

PAUL
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome to PB Andedammen. You are our first member from Norway. Tell us about yourself and ponds in your part of the world.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
andedammen: Those are interesting reads. I'll have to spend some time tonight reading them in more detail instead of just quickly browsing thru them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #188784 10/21/09 06:50 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
 Originally Posted By: esshup
andedammen: Those are interesting reads. I'll have to spend some time tonight reading them in more detail instead of just quickly browsing thru them.

Did you get in to the aproach, or was it to overwelming?

PAUL

PAUL
A
Anna Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
I got a wee bit confused but that is a normal occurrence.

I'll defintely have to study it in depth to get the gist of it but so far it is an interesting read.

Thank you for posting it here.

AHAHM

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Paul:

Not overwhelming at all. I just have to read it with the mindset that I'm reading a textbook or a "how to" book rather than casual reading.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by Fishingadventure - 04/17/24 10:48 PM
How many LMB to remove?
by esshup - 04/17/24 10:35 PM