Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Lunker
Lunker
"Forty two pounds of Edible Fungus,
In the wilderness a-growin,
Saved the settlers from starvation
Helped the founding of our nation!
Forty two pounds of Edible Fungus,
In the wilderness a-growin"

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have what I believe are Hen o the woods here. Several very large. But I'm not positive on the ID & have no idea how to harvest & prepare. Same with the morels. I even have a book but just can't pull the trigger. It would be nice to have someone on hand for guidance.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
We have few to no morels here. Are some types of puffballs edible? Some fo them sure look and smell good!

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Twenty years ago we had the same problem with oyster mushrooms, Ric. With so much good food available to us, why risk anything.
But we did, battered up and fried some, and were rewarded with their unmistakably delicious oyster flavor. They would have probably been great in a gumbo, but we never again used them. If they had had a shrimp flavor, I'd probably be searching them out now. On the other hand, shrimp are so readily available here and while not living in one of your fish apartments, well ...

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
TJ:

Yep, I'd be out looking now. If you find some that are old, remember that place for next year. They can get pretty big, I've found 20#'ers. I've found them under old, but still living Maples. I have only found Morels on my place once in the last 6 years, and it was only a few Yellow's. I used to go out in the Fall with another guy that really knew his 'shrooms, we'd pick a bunch of buttons in the Fall as well.

One tip. Never, I mean NEVER pick them and put them in a plastic bag. The one time that I got sick was when we put them in a plastic garbage bag. IIRC we had 4 bags FULL, and tossed them all after the first meal.

E

What happened? They spoiled? I always collect in a mesh bag to encourage spores to fall and repopulate in new areas as I thrash through the brambles...please tell me more about the spoiled hen of the woods.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
OP Online Content
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bobad
We have few to no morels here. Are some types of puffballs edible? Some fo them sure look and smell good!

I've heard these are also decilious, but no nothing about collecting/identifying them safely.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

E

What happened? They spoiled? I always collect in a mesh bag to encourage spores to fall and repopulate in new areas as I thrash through the brambles...please tell me more about the spoiled hen of the woods.

TJ:

It was all those button mushrooms that we found that went bad. I really don't know what happened, it was probably 4 hours from the time we first picked them 'till they were fried up. I read a few years later that the mushrooms should never be in a solid plastic bag. I've never had a problem since then, but then again I've never used a plastic bag! It was a cool, overcast Fall day, so I don't think they "cooked" in the black garbage bags, but who knows?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Ric Swaim
I have what I believe are Hen o the woods here. Several very large. But I'm not positive on the ID & have no idea how to harvest & prepare. Same with the morels. I even have a book but just can't pull the trigger. It would be nice to have someone on hand for guidance.

Ric:

When do you notice them? If it's right when the weather turns cooler, then it's a good chance that they are Hen of the Woods. Even better chance if they are very large. Look in that guide that I linked to, they give a pretty good description.

As for puffballs, I've talked to people that eat them, and they say that you have to pick them when they are immature and still have white flesh when cut. If there are streaks of brown when cut apart, they are too old. The cut them and fry them in oil or butter like 'most any other mushroom. I'll try one if I can find one that is young, but I haven't found one yet.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
There were a bunch of immature puffballs up in PA last week when I was out scouting for deer hunting. I've tried them before, they are decent but nothing compared to morels...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First