Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,923
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (canyoncreek, ghdmd, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, catscratch, Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, Theo Gallus, phinfan), 840 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I have a question about trees near my ponds edge and on my levy. Should I remove them form the shore? Should I have a certain amount of footage between the water and my trees? If I have larger trees on my levy should I just leave them alone at this point? Or sould I get rid of them? I have trees all around my pond pretty close to the edge. And on my levy. It looks pretty cool but is it a good thing or bad? Below is a pic of my pond and the trees you see on the left side is where my levy is. I don't think it's leaking now but should I be concerned with all the trees on it?

Thanks RC51

[img][/img]

Last edited by RC51; 09/04/09 08:58 AM.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
We have trees on our dam as well. I was really worried about it until DIED came over and took a look see. The trees on our dam are fairly old and established and DIED told me to leave them alone that removing them could cause more of a problem than leaving them.

I think it depends upon the type of trees and the size of the dam, but it'll be interesting to see what the experts say. I know the consensus is not to plant trees on the dam but if they've been there a while who knows.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Rules of Thumb for trees on the dam:

Over 4" in diameter and healthy - leave the tree, trim intelligently to help reduce the sail area and hence risk of blowing over.

Under 4" in diameter - remove.

Over 4" in diameter and unhealthy - prayer and/or heavy machinery and rework are called for.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great stuff Theo!

Seriously, that was a compliment with no hidden agenda.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey JHAP,

Well that's what I am kind of afraid of. If I remove them will the roots die and create leaks??? Or if I leave them will the roots grow and create leaks??? To many things to worry about!!! I had heard but don't know for sure if the tree is over 20 feet tall leave it alone? Has anyone ever heard that is there any truth to that?

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I would go by Theo's rule of thumb.

Our trees are HUGE (some of the cedars on the dam are are, in my estimation over 50 feet tall). I like trees around a pond but that is a personal preference. We actually have a blend of both at our pond (about half is tree lined and about half is not).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks Theo I apprecate the input. I believe I have some that are just under the 4 inch diameter and smaller so I will slowy get rid of them. And trim the rest.

Hey Jeff I also have some 50 foot tall cedars. They grow so slow I can't imagine how old those guys are at this point. They are to cool to cut down that's for sure.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have been slowly removing a bunch of sassafras trees from our pond. Talk about a pain! As for Cedars. I had 5 50 footers on the North side of my house that we had to remove. They were great but ice storms two years in a row did a number on them. On the plus side I had a guy come out with a portable mill and now have a lot of nice Red Cedar boards to play with (Paid the sawmill operator by letting him keep half the boards).

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
RC51
I follow Theo's rule

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
We have a different type of Cedar out west than you do, we have Incense Cedars. They can grow to well over 100 feet. Here one on our property, kinda dwarfs my 4Runner.

I cut down as few large trees as possible. So far I've only had to cut down 1 cedar that was about 35 feet tall, kinda broke my heart. I had a huge oak on our property topple over last year. The base was all rotted out. I was very bummed to see that huge oak laying on it's side.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
We have a different type of Cedar out west than you do, we have Incense Cedars.

Don't they just smoke, like, forever after a forest fire?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
\:D \:D \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Rules of Thumb for trees on the dam:

Over 4" in diameter and healthy - leave the tree, trim intelligently to help reduce the sail area and hence risk of blowing over.

Under 4" in diameter - remove.

Over 4" in diameter and unhealthy - prayer and/or heavy machinery and rework are called for.

Belongs in the pond management little black book...very useful herr G.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
And all this time, we thought he was just a pretty face.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Time to see your Ophthalmologist again, DD.

-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Oh no, not another go round with Dudley.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
We recently went through the same thing. We had trees on our damn and we had a leak. Our leak was a combination of tree's roots and muskrat's. I hated to give up the trees but our pond guy said one way to help prevent muskrats and groundhogs is to keep the damn maintained by mowing. Removing the trees will also help find any potential problems and return of these animals. We decided that since he was repairing the damn, it was in our best interest to clean off the entire damn. He uprooted them with his dozer and rebuilt the damn. See pictures below. The trees that you see in the after picture are just behind the damn.

before

After

Last edited by backld; 09/17/09 01:59 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM