Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Good stuff Dave... There sure is still a lot to learn in the field of fisheries science! You and your students are definitely adding more to the field every year though.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Maybe the muskie that you have are lascuine muskie? Here's an excerpt from the 2nd link: "It is LeBeaus theory that the riverine musky is the genetically superior musky. LeBeaus findings indicate that riverine muskies do not conflict with northern pike for spawning habitat and therefore are not susceptible to northern pike predation."

I think you mean "lucastrine."

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
Interesting thread. There are a couple big lakes in NW Iowa that have NP, Muskie, and Tiger Muskie together, and seem to do quite well. I don't know about the TM, which I have been told is a cross between and NP and Muskie. I don't know if they re-produce, or are a hatchery fish. Angling wise and pound for pound I like the TM, they really fight, and are cool looking.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Tiger musky are for the most part a man made hybrid between the musky and NP. There has been rare documentation of possible natural hybrids, but that is unlikely as they spawn at different times of the year. Tiger musky themselves are completely sterile and unable to spawn. I agree with you, TM definitely fight better than either parent are are VERY cool looking. Especially when from clear waters when their tiger stripes really shine through.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: the stick
Interesting thread. There are a couple big lakes in NW Iowa that have NP, Muskie, and Tiger Muskie together, and seem to do quite well. I don't know about the TM, which I have been told is a cross between and NP and Muskie. I don't know if they re-produce, or are a hatchery fish. Angling wise and pound for pound I like the TM, they really fight, and are cool looking.

You left out the silver northern. They are in Big Spirit and maybe west okoboji. They have one mounted at the fish hatchery. Neat looking fish - its an all silver colored northern pike. They DNR get 1 or 2 a year in their gill nets collecting brood fish. Anglers catch them occasionally too. I am not sure what causes the color.

Supposedly they don't get as big as a regular northern, the one mounted in the hatchery is ~8 pounds and the biggest one they know of. Its hard to say they don't get bigger with them being so rare, but a pike that maxes out at 8 lbs could be an interesting tool for pond management.

Last I knew the state stopped stocking tiger muskies about 10 years ago. That may have changed as I have been out of the loop with the hatchery people for 3 or 4 years.

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Very interesting, is it sort of like a color morph like a blue pike(color morph with slightly bigger eyes and possible subspecies of the walleye)? Chain pickerel are also an option, they max out at about the same size(8 lbs) and can handle a large range of water qualities.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
NP sustain their population in several man made strip mines in Central Illinois, they dont overpopulate by any means, but do reproduce in some, even as small as 5 acres I have seen.

I dont know of any Muskie naturally reproducing anywhere in the state of Illinois? I am pretty sure they are all stocked fish.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...