Excavating for a walkout basement generated surplus soil which was used to dam a seasonal creek downstream from an old (decades) established pond (about an acre). Some excavating was done to deepen it and shape slope of sides. There is some seep into the pond from ground water bearing layers exposed during pond excavation. Overflow from pond upstream + seepage as well as pasture runoff has filled the new pond to overflowing a couple months ago. I would appreciate advice regarding stocking this pond. I am considering some advice received regarding mono-culture, i.e. stocking only catfish as target population and fathead minnows as forage for them.

Since the pond isn't "sterile" as it gets overflow from an existing pond should I start adding minnows now? Are there "indicators" to watch for as signs that it is time to add the minnows?

The upstream end of the pond is a gentle slope that provides extensive shallows of gradually changing depth (over grass that will die) with several small willows that will likely die (were along seasonal creek). I placed several large rocks 2-10 cu ft near seasonal creek chanel before the pond filled. This will offer some cover for fry. I was thinking that this shallow sloping end would be good place for minnows.

Should I add some brush/downed trees to shallow end? I have a virtually inexhaustable supply of Juniper (cedar) of all sizes, also post oak etc.

Are there any aquatic plants that I should consider for improving the food chain. Any decorative aquatic plants that won't harm the ponds ecosystem.

So far frogs and insects have found the pond on their own. Are there any specific measures that should be considered to prevent this pond being a mosquito production facility?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If more info is needed, just ask.

Patrick \:\)

A mediocre day in the country beats a great day in the city!