Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic), 843 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#178270 08/10/09 09:21 PM
I
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I
Can you tell me what is this type of grass/weed this is and will grass carp control it or do I need chemicals. I like the idea of having some in my pond(tons of minnows hide in there) but it is all the way around it and about 2-3 feet out from the edge. Thankx

Any type of fishing is good fishing!!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am guessing most likely Sago Pondweed or maybe Bushy Pondweed. Grass carp should eat either fairly well...

Anyone else with their ideas?

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Looks like good ol' FA (Filamentous Algae) to me. Grass carp will eat it. A better solution though is to treat the pond with something to kill it, i.e. Reward mixed with Cutrine Plus, treating a portion at a time so it doesn't take up too much DO while dying; and then begin a fertilization program which will not only prevent the FA from recurring but will also give you a better food chain and faster growth for all of your fish.

If the FA is only growing around the edges of the pond, you could fertilize now and skip treating the FA. It briefly might grow more, but once the fertilizer produces a plankton bloom, the bloom will cut out the sunlight from penetrating through the water and the FA will begin to die off.

Another reason this method is better than grass carp is that if you ever plan on installing an automatic feeder or feeders on the pond, the grass carp will monopolize the food and eat you out of house and home; when they get big they'll bully bluegill away from the food so the latter get very little of it.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like FA to me.

Picture of Sago Pondweed:

W
Lunker
Lunker
W

I
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I
I might also want to add that is was growing out of the pond bottom. If this helps

Any type of fishing is good fishing!!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If it is "Sago" it will have light brown "nutlets" at the waters surface soon and be bottom rooted. Looks like sago from the pic.

Lunker
Lunker
Any nasty problems associated with Sago?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In the 6 years that I've had this place I never had any submerged weeds growing in the pond. We renovated the pond last year, and this year Sago and American Pondweed reared their heads in late Spring, and I have no idea where they came from.

FWIW, it looks like Sago to me. I've never seen FA branch out.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sago Pondweed is thick. Which makes it difficult for bass and other predators to effectively forage in. This means your BG and others have a safe refuge to take cover in. Depending on your goals, this can be a good or a bad thing. However, sago pondweed is readily eaten by grass carp. It is a native aquatic plant and not overly invasive. There are far worse aquatic plant species out there.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Could also be widgeon grass which is not as bushy as sago. I have a few ponds also this year that have had both American Pondweed and Sago both come on strong that have not had issue with either in the past.Sago if held incheck with granular early in the season (Hydrothol 191 for example) are a great addition to most ponds.Directed injected diquat applications are also very effective. It can attract water fowl however.CJ is right on target.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I think I have sago this year too. Any tips on how to take a good enough picture to tell for sure?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Is it rooted in the ground?

If it it, pull it out and put some of it on a light colored background in good light and take a couple photos at a distance and then a couple close up.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
It's rooted.

It was getting dark but heres a few photos

How much is a "good" amount? It has been spreading slowly. I have grass carp but no tilapia this year. I first noticed a small patch last year that was maybe 1 square foot. Cutrine Plus doesn't seem to have any effect on it.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ryan:
I think that it's Cecil's friend, good 'ol Sago.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am saying a species of pondweed, my best guess is either baby pondweed or bushy pondweed. Sago pondweed has a little finer leaflets but there is variation among the same species. I am surprised your grass carp aren't feeding on it more. From the picture you show in the water, it doesn't look like it is very abundant. Mostly just along the edge. I like aquatic vegetation like that. It gives young GSH and other forage fish a bit of a refuge. Great photos though, Bill Cody is way more knowledgeable on pond plants than I am. If he sees this post perhaps he can give you a firm ID.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I don't really mind it as long as it doesn't go crazy. It's the only vegetation in the pond but the grass carp must like the pellets better. It isn't unsightly and hasn't caused any problems fishing. My pond is a couple of feet low now so it is normally growing underwater and just out of sight. I looked through a bunch of plant ID websites but couldn't tell for sure, so many look alike.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I am saying a species of pondweed...

I completely agree with CJ. It's some type of pond weed.

(does this count as one of my good posts? I'm trying to reach 20 by the end of the year).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, I think you're pushing 18 or 19 now...

Just keep an eye on it. It if starts going wild, treat it. I am a fan of a bit more submerged aquatic vegetation than the average pondmeister though. % covering your pond varies by goals... Right now, I think you are OK. When it hits 30% or more coverage then look into treating it. JMHO

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The first one is some kind of Potomogeton species for sure. Most likely Sago. Algae? No way Walt!

What kind of pondweed it is, is irrelavent to grass carp. Correct me if I'm wrong but grass carp pretty much like all the pondweed species don't they?

So I would feel safe with grass carp as a biological control.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I am saying a species of pondweed...

I completely agree with CJ. It's some type of pond weed.

(does this count as one of my good posts? I'm trying to reach 20 by the end of the year).

Jeff, that wasn't exactly going out on a limb there. Jeesh - I'll credit you with .5 good post.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
The first one is some kind of Potomogeton species for sure. Most likely Sago. Algae? No way Walt!

What kind of pondweed it is, is irrelavent to grass carp. Correct me if I'm wrong but grass carp pretty much like all the pondweed species don't they?

So I would feel safe with grass carp as a biological control.

I have read and reread on the forum that GC will NOT control FA - they won't touch it. Not speaking from experience here - just reiterating. IIRC only TP and to a certain extent GSH and FMH will forage on FA. Is this correct, Cecil - anyone?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If GC are absolutely starving with nothing else to eat, they will consume FA. No experience with tilapia, but they seem to eat just about anything! LCS will feed on it some, and so will a few Cyprinid species, but not enough to control. Some other species of fish eat it, but I think it is mostly incidental.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Jeff, that wasn't exactly going out on a limb there. Jeesh - I'll credit you with .5 good post.

Moving toward my goal of 20 good posts by 2010, one half of a post at a time. \:D Of course it doesn't help when DD docks me 2.3 posts. I think the count is now at 15.5 give or take.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images