Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (FishinRod, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 740 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Interesting about lack of reabsorbtion female pike. I'm surprised that species would be different in this respect. Does he have a source for the info? Not that I don't believe it but it would be nice to have a source.

As far as low survival of fry and subsequent generations that does not surprise me. Sounds par for the course for a top of the line predator.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I was thinking mostly about the size of the yellow perch. ;\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
I was thinking mostly about the size of the yellow perch. ;\)

Oh!

Yep that's a waste of trophy perch!

I've seen 20 some inch pike in the gullet of bigger pike I've skinned out.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil I was checking on that as well. No luck yet.

Lunker
Lunker
Biggest YP I saw in my one fishing trip to Canada was inside a Northern.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Do all female pike in captivity held in tanks and aquariums lay their eggs? I very much doubt it, and they reportedly don't regularly die.

A yellow perch has a very similar body width and depth as a bass of the same length. Pike consume lots of bass when combined with bass, that can be good or bad depending.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/16/09 08:56 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
A yellow perch has a very similar body width and depth as a bass of the same length. Pike consume lots of bass when combined with bass, that can be good or bad depending.

Think of all the 12" LMB that pike could eat in a bass-heavy pond \:\)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've mounted some pike and musky that could fit 5 pound bass in their gullets but 3 lb. bass would be easy. I took in a 50 inch musky a few weeks ago from a local lake. Fortunately for the bass in these lakes large Gizzard Shad are the soup de jour.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/16/09 09:50 PM.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I hear gizzard shad are soupy.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Is that a YP or LMB? Pike spawn very early in the Spring, and could spawn under in backwaters or bays that first warm in the Spring, even if there was ice on the main body of the lake. It says that the pike was speared in the Winter, so could these eggs be developing in preparation for the Spring spawn?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Is that a YP or LMB? Pike spawn very early in the Spring, and could spawn under in backwaters or bays that first warm in the Spring, even if there was ice on the main body of the lake. It says that the pike was speared in the Winter, so could these eggs be developing in preparation for the Spring spawn?

I'm pretty sure it's a yellow perch as the head looks too small for a bass to me. It's hard to tell by the decomposition though isn't it?

Yep definitely prespawn northern if it was speared. We don't know how early in the ice season it was speared of course.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Walt Foreman
I hear gizzard shad are soupy.

Oh yeah! One summer when I worked as a biologist aid we gillnetted large ones when doing some reservoir surveys. I can tell you from personal experience it doesn't take long for them to get ripe in gillnets!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The fish in the stomach of that NP looks like a LMB to me. I just asked on BigBlugill.com, so we'll see if the guy who posted the photo can confirm or deny one way or the other.

There are few man made lakes that have consistent natural reproduction by NP. In natural lakes, they rely on the the flooding of grassy vegetated areas due to spring rains/ice melt. In man made lakes, this flooding rarely occurs. A lake I fish a good bit in PA is a prime example of this:

A 1995-1996 draw down of the lake for bridge repair work in the park left more than half of the lake dry during the growing season. When the lake was allowed to refill in 1997 the northern pike that remained in the lake took advantage of the newly inundated vegetation that had grown on the exposed lakebed during the draw down. This resulted in very successful northern pike spawn in 1997.

The March survey documented a dense quality northern pike population with a total of 246 northern pike being collected during the 4 day survey. Northern pike ranged in length from 19 to 35 inches with 61% being of legal length (24 inches) or larger. Although northern pike will most likely always be present in Shawnee Lake this unique opportunity to fish a dense population of quality length northern pike is not expected to last. The vegetation that was flooded when the lake was refilled in 1997 has long since decayed eliminating much of the northern pikes ideal spawning habitat thus reducing the northern pike’s ability to successfully reproduce in the large numbers that occurred in 1997.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
What I want to know is why did the guy chop up the pike like that? To open the digestive tract all he had to do was make a slice in the belly. Looks like the pike was going to waste. They are good eating.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hmm, as usual, the most interesting tidbits arise on this forum! \:\)

Northern pike around my neck of the woods will at times not spawn. One of the most common reasons occurs during drought periods. Northern pike adults can live in water with relatively high saline (high dissolved solids) content, but the eggs must be laid in quite fresh (low dissolved solids) water. Thus, during the drought years when lakes have higher dissolved solids (water has evaporated and left behind the salts), we also tend to have little snow, and thus no freshwater runoff. In those years and in those lakes, the pike don't spawn and will resorb their eggs.

I have never before heard that northern pike can't resorb eggs or are more likely to die because of resorption. However, as Dave Davidson says, we never say never. I did a literature search, and couldn't find evidence, which of course doesn't really answer the question. Just from my observations, I think the northerns carry the eggs longer than most fish while resorbing. A month after pike spawning, we can see a female with what appears to be full ovaries. When you open her, you see that the eggs are in a state of decay, and obviously no longer are viable.

We did do a couple of years of study on seasonal patterns in pike ovaries and testes. If you are interested, go to this link, and then look at figure 5.

http://wfs.sdstate.edu/wfsdept/Publications/Willis/203-F%20neumann_nop%20seasonal.pdf

In addition, my literature search also turned up a very interesting European review paper on fish reproduction. They did indicate that pike do resorb eggs. If anyone wants a copy of this file, you'll have to email me, and I'll forward the PDF to you.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Interesting stuff Dave... I guess pike cannot handle tidal waters? The brackish conditions don't suite them... Or do you think they migrate upstream to lower salinities to attempt to spawn?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
CJ -- it might all be part of their "package?" After all, they spawn very early, and in a wet year around here, they are running up every small piece of temporary stream, spawning in flooded grasses. So, the adults can handle the moderately saline waters just fine. It's just that they must find some fresh water for reproduction. Sort of cool.

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave,

Since you're on the subject of esocidae spawning...

We have several lake chains in my area that the DNR plants muskies into and they do quite well on mostly large gizzard shad. In fact for numbers per acre these lakes have a lot of musky and they reach large sizes (over 40 pounds.) Anyway reproduction is supposed to be nil hence the planting. These are natural lakes which vary from muck bottom to marl with varying degrees of vegetation. What is missing that prevents successful reproduction with the muskies? Northern are native here and don't seem to have a problem reproducing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

Doesn't the DNR catch and strip the muskies of eggs/milt for their breeding program in those lakes?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

Doesn't the DNR catch and strip the muskies of eggs/milt for their breeding program in those lakes?

Yes you are correct but natural hatching in the lakes is nil supposedly. I'm pretty sure after stripping the eggs are hatched in jars and then the fry are planted into fertilized ponds.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Musky seem to be very difficult to get to naturally pull off a successful spawn. The Maryland DNR about had a heart attack a few years back when they found out pure musky were naturally reproducing in the Potomac River. From what I understand it is a very small length of river, maybe only 30 miles where they have success.

Cecil, here are a couple links of interest on this subject:
http://www.muskyclubsalliance.org/Musky%20Habitat%20Study.htm
http://www.chippewaflowage.com/musky_study.html

If musky and NP are found in the same lake, often the NP will dominate. They spawn earlier than musky and their young prey heavily on the musky young. Maybe Dr. Willis can add more info...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Maybe the muskie that you have are lascuine muskie? Here's an excerpt from the 2nd link: "It is LeBeaus theory that the riverine musky is the genetically superior musky. LeBeaus findings indicate that riverine muskies do not conflict with northern pike for spawning habitat and therefore are not susceptible to northern pike predation."

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
From http://www.bigbluegill.com/photo/1011982-1?page=1#comment-2036984_Comment_53005

Jim Watts the original poster which sparked this thread wrote:

"I was a Largemouth, not a Perch. There are GIANT perch in the lake the Pike came from though. I have found small Pike inside other pike, but never a legal size Largemouth!. IT obviously knows how to fish better than we do. We only seem to catch undersized bass on that lake."

A 15" LMB being eaten by a NP... Wow!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil and CJ: I don't have much personal experience with muskies, and I'm not sure we have a good knowledge base in the profession on spawning and reproduction. I don't know why so many of the stocked populations don't spawn -- they prefer spawning on submerged vegetation, and that usually is present.

As for the NOP usually out-compete Muskies theory, we probably should call it "often" rather than "always." As CJ said, the northern pike spawn early, in the 30s, just after ice-out, while the muskies don't spawn until later. Optimum spawning temps are in the mid-50s. So, the thought is that the little northern pike are already spawned and just waiting to eat the small muskies. NOP seem programmed for built-in cannibalism anyway, and I'm sure a small musky looks pretty darn familiar to them. I do know that the MN and WI biologists who manage lakes with natural musky populations get very upset if northern pike get into their lake. It is not always the kiss of death, depending on habitat perhaps, but it often can result in a loss of the musky natural recruitment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday