Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,016
Posts558,542
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, bmicek, Fishingadventure), 468 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I've been mixing some AM400 in with the 500 and LM so maybe a few will take to pellets.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
I wouldn't exactly say that YP has a low Wr yet.

Good thing is you have a reproducting YP population now!

Agreed. It may just be a male that is build like that even with plenty of feed. My males in the cages that are fed well are similar in wr. Or as Sunil eludes to it may be a female that has not built up any egg mass yet or has dropped her eggs already. My guess it that's a male though.

As far as a small stand of cattails being where eggs were strung that is a possibility. They will look for anything that is up off the bottom. Even submergent aquatic vegetation in deep water you can not see is used.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/17/09 10:11 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I'll have to do some walleye fishing in my pond because I seem to catch a lot of YP while WE fishing lakes. I usually catch SMB while Im YP fishing and I don't need any more surprises.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ryan, the fish isn't that big but she is a trophy. Be proud Daddy.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks Dave.

Boy Dwight you called this one!

Cecil, that fish looked skinny to me but I don't much of anything about perch other than how good they are rolled in cornmeal and deep fried. Had some from Lake Kagawong Sunday night actually and they're hard to beat. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to your and Bill Cody's outstanding examples. The one in the picture had a sunken in stomach. I thought is was strange for it to look hungry at the end of September. I've haven't been too interested in the perch but have been following your and Bill Cody's posts. They'll certainly be reviewed.

Here's what about 24 hours in the minnow trap yielded. My minnow trap only has a 1" opening so the larger bluegill pictured probably had to squeeze in. Also, the mesh bag I use for bait was stripped clean so it's hard to tell how long they were without feed. There also were two additional dead YP not pictured. No doubt what they are when you see them alive next to a similar size LMB.

So now what? Does the trap yield provide any insight into balance? I enjoy ice-fishing so I'm going to try and make it work. LMB followed by BG are priority. My HSB are doing well but I think I can count on them growing fine on pellets. I've never caught YP in my minnow trap in previous years. Should I simply follow the same plan I do with everything else and just keep the overachievers in the hopes the big healthy ones get bigger?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I have to vote pro-perch based on nothing more than my experience at my pond. In my limited knowledge, I refer to them as "innocent bystanders." They seem to "just be around" in the mix. I have them of all sizes, and even up to over 12/13" but not as fat as Cecil's.

A few weeks back, I caught some 5" perch, and just due to laziness and curiosity, I let them swim around on the hook. Larger LMB started showing up to inhale the perch. They were still hooked in the lip from being caught and I hadn't rigged them for live-lining.

I'm going to spend a lot more time live-lining smaller fish.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I don't think there's a better way to catch bass or big cats in a pond than barely hooking a small bluegill in the meat just behind the dorsal fin with a small circle hook and letting it free swim around the pond and occasionally giving it a little pull to make it look injured. Bass seem to almost ignore healthy fish sometime but go crazy at the site of an easy meal.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Oh the brutality!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That's a nice little mix of BG, YP and LMB. Very cool!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Oh the brutality!

No brutality compares to Mother Nature when she's hungry!

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
What happens to perch populations when they inbreed?

Keep in mind I really don't want them in my pond and these offspring only came from a couple of fish.

What will be the outcome if I don't expand the gene pool?

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Ryan Freeze

Hopefully, the effects won't be similar to what happens with sunfish.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Ryan Freeze

Keep in mind I really don't want them in my pond and these offspring only came from a couple of fish.

What will be the outcome if I don't expand the gene pool?

I wouldn't worry about it to much if you're not trying to produce a line of super yellow perch. The offspring that have something wrong with them won't make it or will be eaten.

I've started a fathead population in my one pond with just a few dozen individuals. I've got a few hundred thousand of them now and they seem healthy and the males get quite large. Of course once I put the smallies in this month they will be cropped down.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
CityDad, DiamondDave, the stick
Recent Posts
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Kenn - 05/18/24 09:08 PM
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 05:17 PM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....
by Energymble - 05/17/24 04:46 AM
BG sex?