Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 781 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Remember that great Paul Harvey radio show?

You would learn about a subject and then hear a twist at the end.

Well my during July visit with DIED and DWIED I learned a twist in their story and it gave me an idea. Many of us have posted about our lives, spouses, vocations, avocations, vacations, avacations, triumps, tragedies, food recipies and cooking disasters. But these are not all we each are.

Each one of us has done something unique in our lives and that story has not been told. Sure this could get humorous but what I'm really looking for is a factoid about your life that the rest of the forum doesn't know. Perhaps you collected rabbits, or raced motorcycles, or collected motorcycling racing rabbits, you know just an unusual factoid.

I'll start by outing DIED. I've come to know DIED fairly well, he's a great friend of mine. You all know that he's a geologist, an avid fisherman (and quite good I might add) a GSF officiando (has them over 1 pound) and an all around great guy. But there's something about my buddy Dave that you don't know. And here's the story....

DIED, DWIED, JWHAP and I were relaxing in DIED's living room drinking some beer and talking about the Pond Boss conference, which I had mentioned that I was not going to be able to attend this year. And suddenly Sunil's name came up (did you ever notice that no matter where you are in the world and no matter who you're talking to that Sunil's name always comes up? What's up with that?). We got to talking about Sunil's guitar collection.

So DIED suddenly says to me, "have you seen my guitar?"

Naturally I respond "What guitar?"

He says "hang on a minute" and walks away.

So I sit there drinking my beer and DIED comes back into the room with a sticker covered guitar case. He lays it on the floor opens it up and hands me a Fender 25th Anniversary Model Stratocaster. The guitar is absolutely beautiful.

So I say to Dave, "I had no idea you owned a Stratocaster. Do you play?"

Died shyly says "A little."

He sits on the couch, I hand him back the guitar and he begins an unreal guitar riff, he deftly switches between various pieces of music. JWHAP and I are completely blown away.

DWIED then says that Dave use to play in a band. I had absolutely no idea. Sure we've joked about Dave and the El Dorados but I never knew that DIED actually played a guitar (and quite well I might add).

So while out at dinner I'm telling DIED and I can't believe how good he is on the guitar, he smiles and say's "Well that's how I landed DWIED, the girls go wild for guitarists."

We both laugh and DWIED says, "Well although I do really like your guitar playing that's not the main reason I dated you. The main reason that I decided to date you was because your cute little butt."

......and now you know the rest of the story.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
DIED of course is free to tell any other factiod about himself, I was just amazed about his guitar skills. (The last part of the story was just icing on the cake).

So tell us pond meisters, what is the rest of your story?

I'll post my own in a day or two.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thats just plain cheeky.....

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I see what you did there. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i will admit that guitar is sweet, but folks, i'm just really not that good....anymore....

i'm sensing a head chopping hi karate surfing muscle car cpa story from you jhap.....i know it will be good...

GSF are people too!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Good stuff JHAP...

DIED, I want a YouTube video of your guitar playing!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
i'll bet there are more band members out there??? anyone else play in a band? or at least attempt to?

Lunker
Lunker
And who all has/had a cute little butt?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I played drums in a little band in high school. They kicked me out when they found out I didn't really know how to play drums. As far as the cute butt goes, I'm sure I had one. You probably couldn't tell it by looking at mine now though.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Come on folks don't be shy. It' doesn't have to be about music, it can be about anything. Perhaps you back packed in the Swiss Alps in college and learned to play the Derswoogler. I played the trumpet in grade school (much to the dismay of my parents, the neighbors and all of the canines in the area) but that's not my story. It will have nothing to do about music.

Theo, we know you're a gun collecting, rocket scientist farmer, but tell us a story about yourself, I know you have some great ones.

Heybud, I' know you've worked in the oil industry and know Texas very well, tell us more, or something completely different.

CJ, why law enforcement and an extensive knowledge about forage fish? When you were a child did you witness a forage fish kidnapping that led you to a life of solving crimes against breem?

Natester, with all of your water related adventures (you're the only person that I know that scuba dives in ponds and video tapes) but what don't we know.

Brettski, my brother in humor, tell us a story mang.

Sunil, come on man, I KNOW you have some great stories.

I'd love to hear a story from George, I know sir that you must have many.

Ewest, you linkaholic, tell us a story about yourself, or perhaps one about your father.

Tell us an interesting factiod or story folks. (Or you'll force me to post one about you, trust me you'd rather post your own story). Don't make me call you all out individually, post a little something. It won't hurt a bit.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Did you all notice this story? Great stuff!

Originally Posted By: edinbowen
Sunil, I'm a bit of an wandering vagabond and spent a majority of my adult life outside of the US - stationed in Germany, grad school in Scotland, and living in the Middle East since 2002 when I was assigned to Saudi Arabia and Qatar as an army explosive ordnance disposal officer. I worked in about 20 countries from 2002-2004, including Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Djibouti. Got out of the service in 2004, lived in Philly for 9 months, and missed the ME and the opportunities. I moved to Kuwait in 2005 and worked there for 2.5 years. I took a left out of the door one day instead of a right and was hired to run a company in Jordan in 2007. I'm GM of a refined petroleum products import/export company and should be in the ME at least through 2011. I love it over here - Amman is a beautiful city and Jordan has lots to offer. I'm engaged to a wonderful woman who was born in the US but raised in the Arab Gulf and Jordan. We're getting married at the Dead Sea in October and then heading to Mauritius for a couple weeks of honeymooning (hoping to sneak in a couple days of blue marlin fishing!). One thing that working over here has afforded me is the opportunity to travel and fish - I've been to India fishing for mahseer on the Ganges River, Egypt fishing for Nile perch on Lake Nasser, Sri Lanka fishing for barramundi (skunked on that trip but caught some tasty mackerel), Belize for bonefish on the flats, and Brazil for just about everything including 100+lb catfish and 6lb piranha. I've been blessed to have lived a pretty full life - ran with the bulls in Pamplona, jumped out of airplanes in the army, defused live explosives, was interrogated in Bulgaria by some very bored police officers, searched for whiskey on the black market in Sudan (I was thirsty), and some other things best left unwritten though man they were fun, lol. But for me, hooking and fighting a fish are by far the biggest thrill. So I'm just reading and learning from all the smart pondmeisters on this site so hopefully one day I can turn my ponds into some very nice fisheries for friends and family to enjoy.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Cecil
When I was in the ANG our area of operation was the Middle East. Fortunately we just missed Desert Storm by 20 minutes (the war ended early) and I was out by 92 before the Iraqi Invasion. I would have gladly served in the war zone but glad I didn't.

See more good stuff, tells us more Cecil.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
JHAP I wish I was more exciting...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My wife made me set Patsy Cline's outhouse on fire. Does that count?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i left my mom's tupperware at elizabeth taylor's house, and she's never forgiven me. does that count?

GSF are people too!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I grew up in the Great Depression and as a result I am VERY FRUGAL - NEVER bought anything on long term credit except a house and a car one time.

The rest of the story:
My favorite uncle gave me a pair of cowboy boots for Christmas one year and I lived in them - probably slept in them - and wore out the heels.

There was a dis-abled WWI veteran that lived across the road and did shoe repair. I gave him a quarter for repair.

When my mother found out she cried and I was in deep doo-doo.
Don't remember where I got the quarter.

Jeff, does this count?

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yes, it counts.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I have a lot of holes in my guitar playing/knowledge/theory, so I take lessons. Right now, I'm forty and my guitar teacher is a 24-year old punk. The kid is a jazzer. Really, really good, but I'm a rock player. So this kid is trying to make me stop using a pick and just use my fingers.

I wanted to kill this kid.

But I stuck with it and now my study piece is Girl from Ipanema playing the chords, bass, and melody concurrently. It's a little sloppy right now but getting better every day.

My overall playing has improved greatly and I am really enjoying playing without a pick even though I go to the pick when playing rock.

Oddly enough, I've ending uplife-coaching this punk-jazzer kid now.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I attended the University of Nebraska on a bowling scholarship my freshman year.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What was your average to get this scholarship?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Generally between 190 and 200

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I honestly didn't know you could get a scholarship for one's bowling talents...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I honestly didn't know you could get a scholarship for one's bowling talents...

Evidently you can.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Bruce, seeing as you were probably at college in the early '80s, how did the "yes, I'm here on a bowling scholarship" go over with the ladies?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Bruce, seeing as you were probably at college in the early '80s, how did the "yes, I'm here on a bowling scholarship" go over with the ladies?

It went exactly like you'd imagine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails