Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
It all started because our kids wanted a swimming pool...so last summer after hearing the same thing over and over I finally told the kids to go "dig the hole and you can have a pool"....the kids spent a week out in 105 degree heat with shovels. Well we always wanted a pond on the property...so the adventure started.

Keep in mind that we figured all we needed to do was dig a hole and fill it with water. We didn't even bother to check online for information..after all hubby "knew what to do"

We got a dirt guy out to "dig the hole" and build the dam. After a few weeks we liked the what we saw. Ended up being about 3/4 acre in size and 22' deep in the center. We have very rocky soil, so we brought in what we thought would be enough clay..boy were we wrong.

Figured we would use the well (right next to the pond) to fill it..low and behold that well only puts out about 3 gallons a min. I know, I know we should have tested the well BEFORE this started. Well on lower part of property puts out over 40 gals per min but has no power..so off we go to buy a generator to run the well pump we had installed over 500 feet away. Next I lay the pipe to carry the water to pond. Well guy said I didn't need to "glue" the pipe since it would not have much pressure...boy was he wrong. One by one each pipe blew apart, so one by one I glued each piece back.
So far so good..right...

Pond gets a little over 1/2 filled...and then never rises. We stop filling and as it goes down I see a massive boulders that ended up being the size of a cars (at the bottom) with a splits down the center. My guess is the rocks fractured from the drilling "tooth" used to "chip" out parts of the rock.

So with winter approaching we decide to wait until spring to deal with it. Kids went fishing and brought home some bluegill and bass and put them in the pond never giving them a second thought. Spring comes but late rains fill pond so we wait until only about 3' of water then rent a pump. While pumping the water I see spawing beds and notice blue gill fry, and a few fat and happy bass.. so now I have to put the fish somewhere. As I'm doing this we have a crew grading an area for a barn on the property. The area where the barn is going always seemed to be green, I now know why..a natural spring. So I tell the guys barn is going in a different spot, and to dig out the spring area..once again the process starts..now I have a natural spring fed pond about 20 x 30 and around 4 feet deep..perfect to put the blue gill and bass while we work on the "big pond".

Here's where we can use some expert advise.

We have had all the bolders taken out and removed any rock bigger than about 3" x 3"...no small task. All told it's been a fun adventure, but be careful what you tell you kids \:\/ it may come back to bite you.

put down 4" of #9 screened clay over the entire area (bottom/sides), then laid epdm liner on any areas we thought we might have trouble. Put down another 4" of clay over this( 8" total). Do you think this will be enough clay?

Added a windmill for aeration and will be adding structure for the fish before filling. We also put in a spawning area for the fish.

Have two spillways, but would like to install a pump "just in case", we need to drain down the pond, any ideas on types and sizes of pumps? House is located about 125 feet from pond (uphill), so we will be using electric to power any pump. Would also like to be able to use pond for wildfires if needed.

Any other areas you think we need to address,BEFORE we start filling again? hubby doesn't think so

ps...the moved fish are doing just great

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to the PB Forum. You are learning like many of us. You came to the right place for help. Others will add more. I suggest with your location and fire situation -

dry hydrant - Some insurance companies will give you a break on your fire insurance premium if you have a dry hydrant that is tested annually.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=56632&fpart=4

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
3/4 acre and 22 ft deep is a lot of water to pump. Look on here for siphon systems. For possible fire fighting, a 2 inch pump with a lot of outlet hose OUGHT to be enough to save the house. However, it depends on the fire.

With a liner and clay, you ought to be OK.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
you have a challenge the liners only work if it covers the entire pond a partial liner will only leak or slip away the clay should be knitted into existing soil or it will not bond to the slopes usally an 8 inch knit if many rocks more clay in the mix if no mixing water entering from behind will lossen clay and it will settle to the bottom you might get away with that method if the pond was shallow and eased sides you want any leakage to take the clay with it to mix and seal
Always install clay to the top rim of the pond and and areas where runoff comes in strong take the clay mix up on shore

Good Luck Scott

Scott Trava
Catskill Pond
http://catskillpond.com
scott@catskillpond.com
Returning Catskill Waters To A Simpler Time
EST. 1923
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Hi saddiegirl,welcome to PondBoss.You'll find a wealth of information and sweel advice here.I built my pond about the same way.Build first,research later,maybe we are related.There are a couple of other members of the forum close to you.......Im sure you'll meet them online shortly. \:\)

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
You know us guys are kinda visual creatures. Send pictures (of the pond) if you get time!

Working hard so others don't have to.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Welcome Saddiegirl! Your adventure is just beginning. Be careful of these guys. Sometimes they give so much info that you think your head is going to explode! They all have a great sense of humor too so expect some well intentioned ribbing.

I'm just learning too so I can't offer you any advice but I can wish you lots of luck. Be careful though. If you read this forum for long you will get obsessed with the health of your pond and end up spending a lot of time and moola fixing it up.

I bought a catastrophe, at least you are starting from scratch and not trying to patch up an abomination. It surely has been a journey and a fun one at that!

BEST WISHES and welcome to the family!

PS. These guys really are addicted to photos. I even sent them one of polka dot rubber boots. Pictures any kind of pictures and they will be happy. You can even post photos of blank coloring books. Their wives are trained to get the crayon off the computer monitors. LOL!

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
Thanks guys..

we did incorporate clay into the existing soil, then placed a layer (4") of clay on top of that. We put the liner down on the bottom just in case we still had some shale and another 4" layer of clay. You should have seen the dozer packing in the clay all the way to the top, about 2 feet above the spill gates. I thought he was gonna flip over backwards at times.

Thought I'd check around and ask questions(aka learn), before we fill her up this time. It sounded so simple when we started:

+++++dig hole and fill with water...boy were we off base.

So much for building an addition and a kitchen remodel...spending all our $$ on the pond...but I think it's worth it.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If you post pics for us to color,please post pics of cold beer so we dont get thirsty while coloring.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
If I could just figure out how to add a pic...

A question on aeration- we have a Koenders "Free Air Windmill", which based on info I have will support a 2 acre pond, but given the fact that our pond seems to be deeper than most, will this be enough?

Anna, I already know what you mean. Have you guys started any 12 step programs, for this obsessive disorder? Hubby is already looking for a way to "chill" the water so he can add trout(LOL)

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Saddiegirl and welcome to Pond Boss. It's great to have another Californian on board! Where about's in Northern California (you don't have to be exact). DIED and I are in El Dorado County.

Originally Posted By: Anna
PS. These guys really are addicted to photos. I even sent them one of polka dot rubber boots. Pictures any kind of pictures and they will be happy. You can even post photos of blank coloring books. Their wives are trained to get the crayon off the computer monitors. LOL!

Men are visual creatures. We like shiny stuff (that's why we like chrome on cars) and things shaped like girls (there was a method to Coca-Cola's madness when they created their original bottle shape). Now if Coke came in chrome bottles, dang, we can only dream.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
jhap...what a small world..I'm in El Dorado County as well in Cool just off hwy 49

S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
jhap,
just took a look at your pics...wow, wish our's was that big, by I can't let hubby see, or we will be making a bigger pond

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
El Dorado county is IHMO one of the most beautiful counties in California. Glad to have you on Pond Boss.

Oh and just for your information:

Man Manual, Chapter 7, section B, paragraph 1:

a. Your pond can never be too large.
b. There is no such thing as too much horsepower.
c. Anything your neighbor has should be smaller or less shiny than anything you have.

You should let your husband dig a larger pond Saddiegirl. Resistance is futile.

There is also a chapter on everything a man should know about managing a woman but so far the pages are blank. (We usually use these pages for coloring).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sadiegirl,

Welcome aboard. As far as pictures it's not that difficult. If a computer challenged person like me can do it anyone can.

1.) Start a free account with Photobucket.com

2.) Once you're on your own personal photobucket page to add pics to your Photobucket account click on "Browse."

3.) That should take you to your browser page on your computer where you store you pictures.

4.) Click on the pictures you want to upload on your Photobucket page and then click "Upload."

5.) Your pictures should upload from your browser on your computer to your photobucket page.

6.) Copy and paste the IMG code (the last one on the bottom of the list of codes below the picture) into the box where you type your response or start a new thread. There is an image button here but I would suggest not using it.

7.) Then click either Preview Post on this website to see if it's working right or go right to "Submit" to add your picture(s).

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Hey, Cecil/Anyone:

Is there a limit on storage space or # of photos stored at Photobucket?

[Geocities shutting down storage sites in late October, and I'm looking ahead.]

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Theo, there is a limit but so far I think I have around 500 photos and think I am at 1% of my storage limit... I really like Photobucket. Easy to use, easy to download a lot of photos quick as well. I use the old version downloader, as opposed to the newer version as they give you that option. The older one is easier IMO.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images