Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#168238 06/13/09 09:10 PM
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I am in the middle of a 5-10 acre Trophy Bass Pond and want my FHM,GS,Craws and Threadfin to have ample food and cover/spawning ground to produce some MASSIVE BASS! i am planning on the following so far:
Water Reeds
Water lilies
Sago Pondweed, unsure said to be a good spawning plant
And some submerged plants that produce oxygen like the Hornwort i think its called

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If by reeds you are referring to cattails, as long as you understand they can be invasive and will take over if not managed, they are fine and can produce some good fish cover.

Water lilies are pretty and good fish cover, but again be sure you get a hybrid variety as non hybrids tend to have too fast a growth and reproduction rates and before long your pond will be nothing but water little in areas 5 feet and shallower...

If your mind is set on introducing pond plants(often they find their own way into your pond) I would go with species that are not going to be overly invasive. Corkscrew eel grass would be top of the list and if you cannot procure that, then regular eel grass is an option. Sago pondweed is a good option IMO. It is a fully submerged aquatic plant and is native and not overly invasive. Widgeon grass is also native and not overly invasive. IMO hornwort would not be a good candidate for a pond.

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
thank you i need some plants that would oxygenate the pond and have good protection for:
GSH
FHM
Crawfish
Threadfin Shad
I also want plants that are good for these fish when it comes to protecting eggs.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Illinois and American pondweed are fun to fish over. They create a mat on the surface that bass like to hang out under. You can fish for them with a topwater frog.

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
thank you thats one plant i want. I love fishing stuff like that but was worrying with lilies about the spreading. I mainly want the "mats" that offer good shade, now a good oxygenator and fry/breeding plant would be great!
So now my journy has me looking for a good oxygenator and something to offer Goldern Shiners and Threadfin breeding materail, hmmmmmm

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/home.php?cat=284

would any of these be good oxygenating pond plants?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
All plants produce oxygen and then use it at night. I don't think added plants for the sole purpose of them adding oxygen to the water would have much effect.

Even in ponds with no vegetations there is still enough oxygen.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Chris is correct. Don't buy or choose the submerged vegetation primarily as oxygenators. Oxygenators are primarily sold for small scale water gardeners. Your phytoplankton and attached algae are the main oxygenators in pond-lake settings and are usually ubiquitous, diverse, and always present when algacides are not regularly used. Choose submerged plants for non-invasive nature, loose open underwater structure and for the ability of the fish to move or hunt through the plants.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/14/09 01:49 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
so what plants would be good for creating structure and hiding spots and topwater mats for my fishies

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Fishkeeper1
thank you i need some plants that would oxygenate the pond and have good protection for:
GSH
FHM
Crawfish
Threadfin Shad
I also want plants that are good for these fish when it comes to protecting eggs.

Fishkeeper1, the challenges you're facing are these:

Where are you going to source these plants from? Most species are not easy to impossible to source from retailers, so you'll have to find a wild source.

Not all species are adapted to all water chemistries and other abiotic factors.

Plants are not the end all be all to protecting your forage fish. In my opinion and experience, extensive shallow areas are more important. Most pond owners build the vast majority of their ponds with extremely steep shorelines, slopes in the area of 3:1 or even steeper than that. This really limits shallow water refuges for forage fish and in my opinion is often why most ponds cannot sustain self reproducing populations of forage fish. Many pond owners want to limit plant growth by using steeply sloped shorelines which is fine if that is your goal.

It isn't going to matter what you do, FHM will be extirpated from your pond within a year or so even if ideal habitat is involved. You can certainly add structure for them and spawning locations to assist in keeping them present for as long as possible, but in the end they will all be eaten...

GSH spawn on vegetation, anything from pondweed species to flooded grassy areas in the spring. They will also spawn on filamentous algae. Having shallow "nursery" areas for the young of GSH is key to their long term success in a pond with LMB or other high end predators.

TFS have somewhat similar methods in spawning with GSH. Their need for shallow nursery areas is not substantial, they simply out reproduce their hungry predators, literally producing MILLIONS of young.

Originally Posted By: Fishkeeper1
so what plants would be good for creating structure and hiding spots and topwater mats for my fishies

Some good plants for ponds are those that are not overly invasive and provide scattered pockets allow the movement of fish through them for foraging yet also provide protective cover to forage fish. Species such as:

American Pondweed
Eelgrass
Illinois Pondweed
Variable-Leaf Pondweed
Sago Pondweed

Some of these species such as the American pondweed and the Illinois pondweed have floating leaves and will provide that "floating mat" that many bass fisherman like to fish over. Underneath these mats is a semi open area where predatory fish can forage and forage fish can take refuge...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??