Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
If you could legally stock blue or mozambique tilapia which would you want and why?

As far as the forage aspect, if I understand they both reproduce heavy, but the blue has a lower temp range. So the question is would you want them to die to get the sluggish swimming and easy pickins for big bass (Mozambique). OR would you want blues where they still may be sluggish or even die off some years,and possibly not have to restock them?

There is a delicate ballance there, and I dont know much about blue tilapia but the lower temp is interesting. I could see this fact could be counter productive also.

On the eating of pond weeds, I dont know how much different the diet of blue is from mozambique.

Get out and fish.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
jakeb, this would certainly depend on your goals.

Keep in mind that probably 99% of the tilapia available for stocking are hybridized in some fashion. This is why you will read so many studies that have WIDE ranges of cold tolerance for supposedly the same species.

If you have a long growing season, you may want to go with a Mozambique or even older Nile tilapia so they have less chance of overpopulating. these climates are pretty much south of the Mason/Dixon line. Anyplace north of there, would probably benefit from the pure Blue tilapia so they can remain in the water a little longer before the lower temps kill them.

In Ohio, Kansas, Indiana, and other middle US states, Blues can get you an extra 2-4 months keeping waters cleaner and providing forage over a Nile or Mozambique. Depending on the numbers stocked, this can equate into several hundred extra pounds of forage provided.

Personally, having seen how prolific my Blues are in aquariums, I would not risk the blue in a warm climate. It would be like Crappie on steroids if the temps didn't drop enough to control the population. The lack of cold tolerance IS what makes the tilapia so well suited in a pond as forage. Algae control is just a HUGE side benefit!

Last edited by Rainman; 06/02/09 12:21 AM. Reason: FWIW my 13 one pound+ females have produced over 5000 fry in the last 8 months

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Rainman,
Blue is the most invasive tilapia in the south, its ability to adapt to the cold is a good guess as to why, just as you suspect.

The hybridization will soon make it difficult to tell which is which.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Rad
Rainman,
Blue is the most invasive tilapia in the south, its ability to adapt to the cold is a good guess as to why, just as you suspect.

The hybridization will soon make it difficult to tell which is which.

The hybridization already makes it almost impossible to find pure strains anymore.

Except for the roughly 10 degree cold tolerance differance, Blues and Mozambiques are very similar in respect to diet and spawning. Blues may eat a bit more algae and Mozambique mature 3-4 weeks younger.

Nile tilapia generally don't become sexually mature till around a tear of age so they are not very well suited in a pond for forage, but could be a candidate for mainly plant control in some ponds.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What I wonder with the blue is if it dies at 45, at what point does it get sluggish enough for the bass to really hammer them? If it is much below 50, the bass themselves maybe sluggish and not wanting to feed. Where as the Mozambique may get sluggish at a slightly warmer temp allowing bass to feed on them better?

Just a thought, I really have no idea...

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
My understanding is that the young tilapia are good forage irrespective of water temperature. The impact of the cold temps is to kill the fish every year so they can't take over a pond, since they are so prolific.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
CJ, the blues as I have watched them feed less at around 58-60. Pretty much the same on the Moz. That is as real-world as my "sluggish" experiance gets.

Halfastro, you're close. Around 95% of the fry when exposing themselves get hammered by YOY till about 2" in length. After that, not many fish can catch them till they get sluggish. that is why you will see lots of fry and several large Tilapia and hardly ever anything in between till temps cool.

Last edited by Rainman; 06/02/09 10:10 PM.

J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
What about spawing time/temp. Size of spawn, length of time between broods, and are they both mouth brooders? I assume all of these will be about the same because of hybridization as you mention.

Great stuff BTW, thanks for info

Get out and fish.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I'm not very well versed on the Moz. I only deal with pure strain Blues. They are quite rare.

The Moz. mature up to a month earlier than Blues. Blues spawn about every 5-6 weeks and eggs are carried by the female only. I have read that sometimes male Moz. will carry eggs and I don't have any idea on their spawning frequency.

I believe the optimum 82-85 degree temp is the same for both species as to growth rate and spawning. Blues are faster growing than others due to a slightly higher feed conversion ration.

From every study I've found, only the pure blue has the cold tolerance. Crosses/hybrids retain the warmer lethal temp traits.

Last edited by Rainman; 06/02/09 10:33 PM.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
So they both die before temps get to 45*? Say in a Kansas pond at a depth of 12' would the water be warm enough to sustain life for a tilapia to survive? I have not paid enough attention to see where water temps would be in deeper waters, Oh but a thought just popped into my head(scary sometimes I know)The water at that depth would not support fish without oxygen, could you aerate to keep oxygen at that level, well know I guess you couldn't because then it would cool the water through out the pond lowering the temps to a lethal temp. Seems like I was answering my own questions. does this seem accurate?

A little snow, Please!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: trialsguy
So they both die before temps get to 45*? Say in a Kansas pond at a depth of 12' would the water be warm enough to sustain life for a tilapia to survive? I have not paid enough attention to see where water temps would be in deeper waters, Oh but a thought just popped into my head(scary sometimes I know)The water at that depth would not support fish without oxygen, could you aerate to keep oxygen at that level, well know I guess you couldn't because then it would cool the water through out the pond lowering the temps to a lethal temp. Seems like I was answering my own questions. does this seem accurate?

Yes.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
What I wonder with the blue is if it dies at 45, at what point does it get sluggish enough for the bass to really hammer them? If it is much below 50, the bass themselves maybe sluggish and not wanting to feed. Where as the Mozambique may get sluggish at a slightly warmer temp allowing bass to feed on them better?

Just a thought, I really have no idea...

Interesting thought process.

I would first ask myself "does cold tolerance equate to one extra spawn each year?". If so, then that would probably trump the sluggishness issue in regards to how good a fish is as forage.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Yes that is a good point Bruce, I never thought about it from that way.

Get out and fish.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
On that note, the question becomes does the lower lethal temperature limit really lead to an extra spawn? Do blues spawn at lower water temps than Mozambique? If not, they may live longer, but not spawn anymore than does the Mozambique...

J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Also does the avg moz fry get bigger than the avg blue tilapia fry because of the mouth brooding before getting eaten, thus more bang for the buck?

Get out and fish.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I seriously doubt there is any differance in the fry sizes. Blues are proven to grow the fastest of all tilapia, includig the genetically altered and hybrids, unless fed hormones.

Where the Mozambique can mature up to a month before a blue, the added two to four months of life in the pond from the lower cold tolerance more than offsets the forage AMOUNT produced. spawning frequency and egg production are nearly identical for both. In warmer climates like Texas, the Blue may well survive several warm winters and overpopulate. This very real danger is greatly reduced with using the Moz.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Blues prove their higher tolerance to cold temps. They are the most common tilapia to take hold in warm water effluents from power plants and water treatment facilities.

E
Fingerling
Fingerling
E
Anyone know where I can get Tilapia in Indiana ??

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Purdue University would be a good start, they have pilot programs.

The push in Indiana is aquaculture, so I would look for them there as well.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Kentucky is pushing tilapia hard as a new product also. KSU rents out a mobil processing trailer for $100 per day to completely clean and package a few thousand fish per day with only 5 people. It is to provide a way for small "cage" growers to make a nice profit.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rad
The push in Indiana is aquaculture, so I would look for them there as well.

I think the push is slowing down to a gentle nudge. The news the other night said that here in Northern Indiana the push to convert unused RV plants to aquaculture is dying due to lack of funding and foreseeable (whether real or imagined) expansion problems.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Purdue doesn't sell them (I checked). They are very few and far between if you can find them in Indiana.

Rainman, are you out for the season?

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Getting a fresh supply for an 80 pound order and a few others in a week or two. Waiting to see if I go all out with the truck and a new building, LLC's and the permits and the CDL and the other permits and , and, and this is toodamn much work anymore!

Lunker
Lunker
I have a 1/4 acre pond with duckweed. Would tilapia benefit my duckweed problem in southern michigan? Where could I buy them?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
2trackin, I believe you could benefit from tilapia. Your growing season will be shorter so smaller sized fish would be of limited value. You would need about 10-15 pounds of larger adults to get the best bang for your buck. Any idea how long your water temp. stays above 70 degrees?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images