Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,946
Posts557,793
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,510
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, ArkieJig, Boondoggle, canyoncreek, Augie, catscratch, FishinRod, FireIsHot, Theeck), 974 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Okay all you biologist thinkers. I just saw something I've never seen before. We continued our electrofishing expedition here at Richmond Mill Lake. As we were working the fish, I saw a condition I haven't ever seen...in 30 years of this business. Looking at one large bluegill, I thought it was blind in one eye. As I looked closer, here's what I saw. I'll let the photos speak next.

Close up....

I took an exacto knife, cut barely through the cornea of the fish and pulled out the worm with tweezers.

Here's the total worm (I accidently broke it)....pretty interesting.

I looked for this thing on the web and didn't find anything, but I'm short on time to really dig into it. Anybody know anything about this parasite?

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Lunker
Lunker
Whatever it is, it looks nasty! \:o

Just a guess, it is probably some sort of nematode or round worm normally found in the intestines or elsewhere in fish. A more common eye parasite in fish is a type of fluke that causes cloudy eyes but they cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Lunker
Lunker
Somewhere, someone is reading this at lunch time.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Not at lunch time Theo, but shortly after.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
That angel hair pasta you had isn't sitting too well now?

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think Brett295 will be fine as long as it doesn't start moving in the bowl. ;\)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It looks like an eye fluke to me. My old biology professor in college studied parasites extensively, if you want I can send to pictures to him and see if he can give an exact ID. Bill may know of the top of his head though...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
CJ I thought at first it was an eye fluke (Diplostomum spp.) also . A little checking and I don't think so. Every thing I find on eye flukes indicates you can't see them with your eyes but they do cause the same opaque eye covering. Still checking. I know I have seen this written about before.

Last edited by ewest; 05/18/09 04:17 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Nasty.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Eric, as I recall there are 3 genera of eye flukes.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bob am I missing something? Is this not an ocular nematode? Great pics as always.

We see a few in about every fifth pond we shock. Popeye disease is coommon term. Matt usualy impresses the client with his quick otolith extraction while I do the eye exam and pullout a little worm that before their eyes becoems 6 inches.

The occurance is higher in ponds that are older with mucky bottoms and more common in bluegll that I would classify as under nourished. I have seen in some case 20-30% of bluegill have them. Many times up to 3 neamtodes per eye major bulging there. NEVER have we seen them in any sepecies outside the bluegill. If something else please enlighten me.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Greg, how do you feel, on the inside, when you pull out a worm from the fish's eye in front of clients?

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I seems that thing WOULD cause blindness, or at least, very poor vision; which leads me to the 2nd part of the equation, which first, chicken or egg?
Nematodes or under nourishment due to poor sight?

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
actually sunil I feel cool like a surgeon might feel after brain surgery. I let the fish swim off with better vision with only a small cornea incision. I paid big bucks for my lasik, he got it for free.

Yes Burger.....the population dynamics indicate lots of competetion of food or very little food. So I think poor health suprseed "fight" then they get the neamtode that then yes leads to even poorer conditions, but what do I know.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
actually sunil I feel cool like a surgeon might feel after brain surgery. I let the fish swim off with better vision with only a small cornea incision. I paid big bucks for my lasik, he got it for free.

Yes Burger.....the population dynamics indicate lots of competetion of food or very little food. So I think poor health suprseed "fight" then they get the neamtode that then yes leads to even poorer conditions, but what do I know.

GREG KNOWS NEMATODES...........AND FISH

Lunker
Lunker
Here is an interesting note on flukes and fish.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=936

Quote:
A fish parasite that spends part of its life inside fish-eating birds has been shown to manipulate the behaviour of host fish to make them more likely to be consumed by birds.

The trematode eye fluke Diplostomum spathaceum has been shown to induce the formation of cataracts in the eyes of infected fish, which makes the fish more susceptible to avian predators and reduces their ability to escape.

According to a study by Seppala, Karvonen and Tellervo of the University of Jyv�skyl� in Finland, the catchability of fish was higher when they had a parasite-induced cataract, and the eye flukes only manipulated their hosts when they had fully developed inside the fish eye.

By waiting until they were fully-formed, and ready to enter the next stage of their life cycle within the gut of a piscvirous bird, the parasites were able to manipulate the host when they were at their most infective.

The paper suggests that selection may also play a part in the occurence: "Intensity of infection, however, did not affect vulnerability of fish to capture by dip-net.

"These findings suggest that the ability of the parasite to manipulate fish behaviour by impairing its vision may have resulted from selection preferring parasite genotypes with higher transmission efficiency."

For more information see the journal paper: Seppala O, Karvonen A and E Tellervo Valtonen (2005) - Manipulation of fish next term host by eye flukes in relation to cataract formation and parasite infectivity. Animal Behaviour. Volume 70, Issue 4, October 2005, Pages 889-894.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Nature sure has some nasty things, this one may even top the bot fly!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"actually sunil I feel cool like a surgeon might feel after brain surgery. I let the fish swim off with better vision with only a small cornea incision. I paid big bucks for my lasik, he got it for free."

That's why I love you Mabro!

Let me put my sentiments into a PM with around (50) other forum members........(kidding, just kidding!)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's extra terrestrial -- I mean extra aquatic.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I've seen "pop-eye" fairly frequently, but have never see a worm inside the eye of a fish. This fish's eye was properly in its socket. The bluegill weighed almost a pound and has a fat gut. It gets all the feed it wants, every day, twice a day. I extracted the worm, the fish said, "Thanks" and we let it go back into the balmy depths of tea-colored Richmond Mill Lake.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
A lot of times trematodes (a.k.a. flukes) will cause cataracts in the eyes of the fish. You can see the flukes part of the time.

However, this is no fluke. Greg is correct in that it is almost certainly a nematode, but definitely not a fluke. Tough to say what species other than to say that it is generically a nematode.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Along this topic, queston for Ewest or anyone else. Eric, do you know if the AFS book on bluegill contains a chapter on diseases or discusses issues like this pertaining to BG?

Thank you.

Russ

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Russ, JHAP is deeply hurt due to the fact that you didn't seek his help in your quest for knowledge.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Philometra intraocular maybe. Seems to be a common ocular nematode of bluegills. This study "Vision impairment in the bluegill, Lepomis macrochirus, caused by an intraocular nematode, Philometra sp." was written by James Dalton Byrd in 1982. I can't find any pictures or get to this article...du

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sunil, my apologies to you and JHAP. Let me make it up to you by letting JAHP buy you lunch and a T shirt at the convention.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 09:43 AM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 09:26 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM