Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#160435 04/25/09 12:33 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
so after a few glasses of wine, DWIED asks:

"so chickens are birds right?

how come they lay eggs everyday, and all other birds only lay once a year?"

the all knowing, all seeing, maha DIED responds....the answer can be revealed through pondboss.......

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's actually a pretty easy one. Just like Condello Bluegill, people have been breeding and crossbreeding chickens for thousands of years. There are basically three types of chickens -- those for meat, those for eggs, and those known as "dual purpose."

I have egg chickens that are extremely prolific, but my hens would never think of sitting on an egg to hatch it. However, not all the instincts have been bred out of our rooster.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
And I thought this post was gonna get me fresh eggs for breakfast,and then maybe fresh fried chicked for lunch. \:\(

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
And I thought this post was gonna get me fresh eggs for breakfast,and then maybe fresh fried chicked for lunch. \:\(

Tom,

You are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. My wife and I just finished up some fresh breakfast eggs from our chickens. I'm now off to start getting 400 chicken halves on two grills we fired up about an hour ago. We'll start serving at 11:00 AM.

Ken

P.S. Actually, all are welcome to come taste our chicken. We are setup on US Route 50, about 15 miles west of Winchester, right on the WV/VA state line. This is a benefit for a family with some serious medical costs not covered by insurance.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You're a good man, Ken. I hope the event is a success for that family!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I love to hear charitable stories. Soon all our medical will be FREE, but we still wont be able to afford it.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
ok ken. i actually told DWIED its because they been domesticated. she axed well how does that work? thats as far as my little brain went and time to turn to pondboss.

so 10000 yrs ago some loin cloth dude took a some chickens. those that laid eggs once a month were kept and those that laid once a yr were eaten. then his great great grandkids bred the "once a monthers" until they got "once a weekers" and so on and so on until you had daily laying chickens?

somehow this seemed more interesting last night. \:\)

GSF are people too!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
somehow this seemed more interesting last night.
Its not too early for the wine,then it will be interesting again.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Many species of birds will keep laying eggs if the prior ones are removed from the nest or the chicks die.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i guess i knew that eric, come to think of it, some our turkey hens have laid multiple times in the spring (after foxes or whatever messed thier nests)..

theo gallus gallus.. \:\)

GSF are people too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
24 billion chickens...........

I hate chickens. When I was real little, they used to send me out to gather eggs. There were always a couple of hens that I had to move to get to the eggs. They always pecked me and I had been told to never get my face near because they would peck my eyes out. I hate chickens.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Most ground nesting birds will renest if their original clutch is destroyed... Many times in the fall you will see a flock of turkeys with very different sized YOY birds. The big ones are from original nestings and the little ones came from second attempts... So many hungry coons, skunks, hogs, snakes and anything else that wants to eat an egg!

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I second Dave Davidson. I hate poultry! My Mom raised chickens, pheasants, geese, ducks, and the worst - turkeys. Mom was into free range birds before it was the "proper thing to do." The turkeys would come running and attack us when we went to the barn to feed. They could take chunks out your legs through your blue jeans. We use to grab them by the neck and hammer throw them in self defense, and they'd come running right back for more.

One person's pond is another person's borrow pit.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Nothing like an angry tom bird!

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Yes, sometimes they just kept coming back over and over until you wanted to strangle them.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
With turkeys, all you have to do is spray a water hose up into the air. The turkeys will think it's raining, look up, hold their beak open til they drown. honest.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
given the choice, gimme the hammer throw

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
If laying hens are receiving proper management, the most common reason for reduction of lay is a reduction of light. The reproductive state of all birds is strongly regulated by the amount of light that they receive each day. If hens are to maintain a constant state of egg production, they must be subjected to at least 16 hours of light every day. This light can be provided from sunlight, artificial light sources, or a combination.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: heybud
If laying hens are receiving proper management, the most common reason for reduction of lay is a reduction of light. The reproductive state of all birds is strongly regulated by the amount of light that they receive each day. If hens are to maintain a constant state of egg production, they must be subjected to at least 16 hours of light every day. This light can be provided from sunlight, artificial light sources, or a combination.

Interestingly, the Rhode Island Red / White Rock sixlink hens that we now have, did not slow down one bit this past winter. We have no supplemental light (or heat), and there are no windows in the coop. In over sixty years of being around barnyard chickens, these are the most prolific hens I've ever seen.

We got them as 1 day old peeps about this time last year. They started laying in mid-August. Ever since then, we've averaged over 8 eggs per day from the nine hens -- and one rooster.

Additionally, this small flock is pesky friendly. I can't work on anything outside while they are running loose. They've got to inspect (or eat) everything.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
you guys were so great on this question, rather than start a new thread, i'll follow it up w/ another DWIED musing generated through the miracle of fermented grape juice.......

so last night, says DWIED "we've lived here 15 years. we have all kinds of babies around here, geese, ducks, deer, all kinds of birds.....how come i never seen any turkey vulture babies? where do they nest? are they like other birds with nests in trees?

DIED responded "honey, really, dont you know they self clone? they replicate at full adult size. there are no such things as turkey vulture babies"

so who wants to dispute the wisdom of DIED?

please continue...

GSF are people too!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I had a buzzard with chicks on my property for the last two springs, I couldnt locate any kind of nest...One thing for sure...FUGLY! Not too far from me they have wild chickens, I would be curious to see how they live and breed.

Last edited by Sgt911; 05/06/09 07:47 PM.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Sgt, thats interesting you've seen the vulture youngins. we never have. we have dozens maybe hundreds of adults. if something dies in the pasture or even in the dense woods, they are on it in no time. they must live close by. i've seen just about everything else. hoot owl babies are a hoot.... and pretty fugly too \:\)

GSF are people too!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I saw two the last two years...I didn't want to get too close because mom was hanging around....Nothing goes to waste with buzzards around....I shot a 400+ boar hog last year and the carcass was gone in three days

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Only a mother could love this....

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images