Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,935
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, 4CornersPuddle, SetterGuy, Dave Davidson1, gautprod, Bigtrh24, rjackson, Theo Gallus, Shorthose), 732 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#159405 04/18/09 10:13 AM
D
dcm Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
We have a 3/4 acre pond and would like to put in a floating dock that the kids can swim from. But, how do I know if the water quality is okay to swim in?

dcm #159414 04/18/09 10:35 AM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the forum dcm!

This ain't very technical but pretty much, if the fish are alive you'll be just fine in the same water. Tell the kids not to be alarmed when the bluegill nip them. It can scare the dickens out of them if they don't realize what it is and that it can't hurt them.

Rainman #159425 04/18/09 11:03 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Also make sure that there are no objects underneath the surface of the water that they could dive into from the floating dock (stumps, logs, 1976 Chrysler Cordoba).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
WE swim in my pond,but RULE#1, is Never DIVE in,always JUMP in feet first,if you can't see the bottom! Tree branches,debris,etc.can be suspended under the surface and will move with the wind currents. Keep a life ring/rope along with a long pole on the dock also. While swimming,we all use life preservers or ski belts. My young relatives love being in the water.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Gonna be honest JHAP, I think a car sunk in a pond as structure would be sweet. Like a rusted out too far gone car from the 50's - desoto, belair, fairlane. Would be an interesting conversation piece.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you really wanna be technical, you could get a test done similar to they do to well water during a home inspection and see just what all is in your pond. You aren't drinking it, but some is gonna get in your mouth...

D
dcm Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
Thank you all for the help. As a first-time owner I appreciate all of the help I can get!

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
If you really wanna be technical, you could get a test done similar to they do to well water during a home inspection and see just what all is in your pond. You aren't drinking it, but some is gonna get in your mouth...

I don't think I'd spend the time and money to have a drinking water quality test done on a pond, because your sample will give the poor lab technician a panic attack. Healthy pond water will contain micro organisms, algae, beneficial bacteria, and sediment that would cause red flags in a drinking water test.

Just tell the kids not to swallow any water that gets in their mouths. I survived swimming in Lake Erie in the 60's and 70's and don't remember ever getting sick after swimming.

We wear life jackets when we swim and canoe, keep a life ring with a rope attached on the dock, and cell phone on dry land.

Find a good swim instructor for your kids that will go over water safety and rescue. Some how this always sinks in better when it doesn't come from Mom & Dad. Plus a refresher is good for adults too. Our kid's instructor pushed them into the pool fully dressed (they didn't know it was going to happen, but I'd been forewarned), so they could learn how to handle the situation if they accidentally fell in fully dressed.

Most of all - Enjoy your pond. It's a great place for the family to hang out together.

One person's pond is another person's borrow pit.
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Make sure you don't have any of these visitors too! Little friend

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

Anna #159587 04/19/09 06:32 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I forgot to ask, do you have a reason to think the water might not be safe to swim in? Does you or your neighbors' septic system drain into it? How about chemicals from lawn care? Is there anything questionable in your water shed?

Our local university's biology department is doing an on going study of all the ponds in our area. They come out and take water samples and do a plant and animal survey. I'd say if you're in doubt about your water quality, contact your local university and offer your pond for their biology department to study.

If they aren't interested, try your local Soil & Water Conservation District ( or equivalent). Our local Soil & Water guys just got some stimulus funds to do a district wide water quality study.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: MikeyBoy
Gonna be honest JHAP, I think a car sunk in a pond as structure would be sweet. Like a rusted out too far gone car from the 50's - desoto, belair, fairlane.

Desoto's, Bel Air's, Fairlane's, sure all nice cars but let's get real here. None of these auto's have the soft Corinthian leather that we all so long for.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Fish Wife
I forgot to ask, do you have a reason to think the water might not be safe to swim in? Does you or your neighbors' septic system drain into it? How about chemicals from lawn care? Is there anything questionable in your water shed?

Jeez Fish Wife, get all logical on us why don't ya. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
What can I say, jeffhasapond. I've been married to an engineer for almost 26 years. Sometimes logic just creeps up on me. \:D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
26 yrs? Ya'll musta got married in your early teens? I thought I heard hubby say he had recently turned 39 at the last PB conf.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Fish Wife
I've been married to an engineer for almost 26 years. Sometimes logic just creeps up on me.

Undoubtedly a defense mechanism.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Last summer we had a family reunion down at the ranch. My wifes family has realatives from DC, Chicago, and NY City. The oldr kids have been down to the ranch but the younger kids and the spouses I don't think ever been out of the city. This was in late June and the temps were 100+ . The kids wanted to go swimming so we told them to go back to the big lake and we would show up after we fed. An hour later my mife, 4 yr old daughter and myself show up. Non of the kids would get into the water. The parents were scared of them getting sick. Well I was hot so me and my 4 year old just bailed right in. about that time some of the neighbors came over with their kids. They looked at mom and asked if they could swim to. Mom said yes so the stripped down to their underware and jumped right in. Nothing like country kids. Needless to say all the kids jumped in. The cousin from NYC just looked and asked " when was the last tiime we put chlorine in the water" I almost drowned laughing. Nothing better tham swimming in a tank.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I love swimming in our pond and floating around on it. Sometimes on hot summer days, JWHAP and I toss in the inflatable chairs, grab an adult beverage and just float around. It's at times like these that you realize how good life is.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
After a hard day of farm work on some hot, sticky Summer days, a dip in the pond is just the thing for taking the edge off of my BO before I get a shower afterwards.

I have to admit, I get some nasty looks from the fish.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM