Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,320
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, FishinRod, Zep, Brian from Texas, Sunil, tim k, dcwandj, JoshMI), 991 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
burgermeister, there are different sub species in north america, plus winter and summer plumage, they can look quite different.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I gotcha. I have only seen them in the Colorado rockies.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Well bird 1 is definitely a Barred Owl, Strix varia. They love wet low wooded areas, so if this was taken near your pond it fits just right.

Bird 2 is I am pretty sure a Gray Jay, Perisoreus canadensis. They are about as tame a bird as you can find. They are rarely found much further south than upstate New York so I have little personal experience with them other than a few trips I have made to NY and Maine.

Both are very cool birds though.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
We were snowmobiling in the moose river plains and stopped at an intersection known as the big T, the groomers and snowmobilers bring food for the deer and there are lots of them. The chickadees will eat out of your hand but the jays stay atleast 3 ft away.

My niece feeding chickadee's and deer.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I love chickadees. I believe it was in A Sand County Almanac where Leopold would catch and band chickadees and had several different birds come back for like 8 years in a row... Now that is neat!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Never heard of the Sand County Almanac, I'll have to check with the Library.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It is a great book, definitely a worthy read for any outdoor lover.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

AP, if I know you like I think I do, you will love this read. The newest editions [sometime in the 1990's] are replete with photos taken on Leopolds farm. Stunning photography to go along with one of conservationists' holy books.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There's been times when I'm deer hunting (standing) in Northern Wi. that I've had Chickadees land on the gun barrel.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #159324 04/18/09 12:59 AM
D
DennisS
Unregistered
DennisS
Unregistered
D
outahere

Last edited by DennisS; 04/18/09 02:33 PM.
#159330 04/18/09 01:19 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Pretty Canada geese... If they weren't so common, I think people would enjoy their beauty that much more!

Lunker
Lunker
When one sees way too much of something, one can get sick of it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
When I was 12 years old I got a single shot Winchester 20 guage for Christmas.
Got to be a pretty good barn swallow wing shot - served me well later in life on quail and pheasant - still my favorite upland game bird.

I'd go to jail in this day of age for shooting songbirds. \:\(

My wife is the bird watcher in our family.
She sits at the breakfast table and ID's all the birds that come to her many feeders outside the window.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
George, if you could consistently hit barn swallows in flight, you're a better shot than I! They make doves look clumsy...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I know a very good wingshot that grew up practicing on purple Martins and Swallows.....

You're right George, you'd be in LOTS of trouble doing that today!

There are times that I think Doves are just as hard to hit!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #160481 04/25/09 07:31 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well, well....
First (and only) bald eagle today at LNP. It had to be. I didn't have the binocs but it it floated in on the wind and warm thermals off the treetops, maybe 200 feet away by line of sight. Fortunately, I have exceptional long distance vision in these old eyes, or I wouldn't even make this post. The head and neck were solid white and I could see the yellow of the beak. The body was solid, very dark brown, and the fanned out tail was stark white. The color changes from the head to body to tail were very clearly defined; no blending. The wingspan and form was defo eagle. I can't imagine it being anything else. Any thoughts to the contrary?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

AP, if I know you like I think I do, you will love this read. The newest editions [sometime in the 1990's] are replete with photos taken on Leopolds farm. Stunning photography to go along with one of conservationists' holy books.

my dad told DIED he wasnt mature enough to read that book, so he gave it to DWIED.

b'ski, a mature bald eagle is kind of like gold......you know it when you see it. i'm happy to report they have moved in to almost all of our foothill lakes here.

might you get osprey's too??

both those shots were taken by a guy i know at lake amador about 30 minutes from my place.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We defo have the opreys. I saw a pair sky-dancing a couple of weeks ago. This bird today was not an osprey. It could have been something else...if there is a bird with the same distictive color description I provided.
-
edit; we had an osprey land in a treetop about 500 feet away. It stayed there for about 3 or 4 minutes while I got to zero in with the 10x binocs. The eagle is magnificent, but the osprey is absolutely scary awesome. Those yellow eyes are the stuff nightmares are made of. And the talons...Dude! the talons!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Not a good time to be a bright colored orange koi hanging around the surface of a pond with an osprey around...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The best time that I had with a raptor was running my Springer for a falconer that had a Mexican Peregrine Falcon. She'd flush the pheasant, then sit until I released her. The Peregrine would make that pheasant look like someone opened a feather pillow up in the sky! I said the same thing about that birds' talons. He said that the bird had the longest talons vs. body size of any of the N. American raptors.

Well, I just tried finding that bird, and can't. (on the internet) Any suggestions? I'll try and describe it, but it was about 15 years ago.....

Size, larger than the N. American Peregrine, but smaller than a Redtail - akin to the size of a rough legged hawk, lots of brown, HUGE talons!

I'm sure that he said that it was a Mexican peregrine, and teh guy that got us together (and was there as well) was THE southern district DNR small game/upland game biologist for Ca. He retired in '98 I believe.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #160653 04/26/09 08:50 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
As I recall, there are several different subspecies of Peregrine falcon all over the world. The ones found in the east are all reintroduced and are a hodge podge mixture of the other subspecies because of the numerous semi feral birds that escaped into the wild. The subspecies of falcon found in Mexico is actually slightly smaller than was the now extinct more eastern falcon subspecies.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In the 4 years that we have had the wood duck nesting boxes installed, I cannot honestly say that I have actually seen a wood duck at the pond. We got hooded mergansers and mallards to visit, but nothing as colorful as a woodie. Since we are absentee, and the nesting boxes are so far away and inaccessible by land, I have no idea what's been going on...or not.
This past weekend, I finally got to see the skittish little buggers. They did one heck of alot of flying recon missions over the pond, away for awhile, then back over the pond, then finally landing. Their reputation for liking quiet, undisturbed privacy was apparent.
I stood inside our tiny 10 x 12 cabin this morning, peering out the door window, sipping a cup of coffee and looking at our gar/apt project with the day's construction plans going thru my weary brain. 2 woodies came paddling over toward the boat dock, then climbed up the shore to investigate our project.
-

-
Then they took off and flew right over to the seclusion of the flooded timber and decided to check out the digs.
-

Lunker
Lunker
Yes! Congrats Bski. I sure hope they take up residence in one of your fine boxes...then you can grace us with photos a plenty.

I scared off three wood ducks on my ponds a week ago. I bought all the materials I'll need to build boxes. I am hoping to get them in sometime this week...still probably won't get any takers this year as it's late in the season, but maybe next year.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Very cool. Last weekend I went floating on a creek and saw 10-12 Wood Ducks. They would fly downstream when they saw us. We jumped them about 5 or 6 times over a few miles.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski:

Good news! I'll bet you will have little wood ducks this year. I'm glad that you posted that pic. I will be putting up one of those Mallard Tubes and was wondering how close I could put it to the Wood Duck box.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 05/07/24 12:10 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday