Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153630 03/15/09 10:59 AM
J
Jax Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
I have a six year old healthy 5 acre pond in Texas...Coppernose, bass and cats all doing well...Is my pond too small to add crappies?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I wouldn't recommend it. Ive been trying to catch any crappie that are in my pond out. They compete with your bass for food and because they spawn earlier than everything else they can get overpopulated really quick.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
There are some interesting threads on Crappie. Here one Crappie Pond.

Crappie don't tend to do well in smaller bodies of water.

Use google search and do a site specific search (go to google and type crappie site:pondboss.com and you will find a bunch of threads about crappie.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
jsand and Jeff give sound advice.

It's not that crappie are bad for smaller bodies of water, it's just that they are unpredictable spawners and don't play well with other predators.

They can very quickly overpopulate and decimate smaller-sized forage. Without extremely careful management, they can become stunted and cause other predators to become stunted.

That being said, I think crappie would be great in pond-sized bodies of water in certain situations--again, with careful management. Our "crappie pond," when we're finished stocking, will have black crappie, HSB, FHs, TFS, and GSH. As long as we monitor crappie recruitment and adjust accordingly, I think crappie will work well even in a pond.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
In our 5 acre pond crappie are just one variety of fish that are a part of the overall balance. They are not a problem, per se.

Admittedly, we do have large predators that keep them and the yellow perch as well as bluegill in check.

Predation among each of the different species is dependent on relative size. They all eat each others new hatches until size becomes the limiting factor. When that limit is reached the largest predators, Large mouth Bass and Northern Pike take over. That is why we never remove a large predator from the pond. We have the fun of catching them and then release them back into the pond to do their part helping manage the whole pond ecosystem.

It is a balancing act.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Dwight, what sizes do your crappie get to in your pond? Do you see consitent spawning from year to year or is it hit or miss?

Lunker
Lunker
CPN, I would like to respond to this, but Dwight is the governor of his pond, so I yeild to him as the expert. I am sure he would agree with me that there is a new batch o' crappie every year.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I dont know much about crappie, are they easy to sex or is the female generally larger like LMB? My point is, could crappie in a small pond be a put and take female only fish?

Get out and fish.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dwight's first sentence ...."In our 5 acre pond crappie are just one variety of fish that are a part of the overall balance. They are not a problem, per se," rings true for my pond also.

You have to have a good predator base and do extreme culling.

Right now and in the next few weeks, in my pond, you can go to submerged cover and catch crappie one after the other. I take them all out unless I happen to catch a bigger one. The biggest Black Crappie out of my pond was 12" and maybe 14" which are a nice size to catch.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sunil, how big is your pond? I don't recall having ever read it on here... 12" BC are nice! Some darn good eating! I think in larger ponds say 3 acres and 12 ft deep in size, crappie spawning isn't so hit or miss and that makes managing them a little easier.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
6-7 acres.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
Dwight, what sizes do your crappie get to in your pond? Do you see consitent spawning from year to year or is it hit or miss?

The crappie in our pond are all year classes with the large class going 12-14 inches.

All of the fish species spawn every year with the exception of the Northern Pike which we think are all females. If the NP do spawn, We have never seen any evidence of it.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One thing Dwight has that I don't is the NP.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
NP are not easy to get to spawn in smaller ponds and lakes. They need flooded vegetation to successfully spawn on. In nature this comes from a lake flooding due to the winter melt and heavy late winter/early spring rains, this doesn't commonly happen in ponds and man made lakes...

One man made lake I fish in PA was drained for dam repair. After a couple years, when the repair was finished they allowed it to fill back to full pool. It filled up all winter covering all the vegetation that had grown while the lake was lowered. The year class the NP produced that year was rather impressive! Otherwise that lake has little to no natural reproduction...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The Co-op extension material on ponds (State level fisheries scientists) provides that crappie should not be stocked in waters less than 40 acres. Look at the thread JHAP linked. It has a good discussion and a couple exceptions to that advice similar to what davatsa is doing.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I've seen publications from different states say anywhere from 20 acres plus to 250 acres plus. I think I even recall one saying nothing less than 2,000.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I've seen publications from different states say anywhere from 20 acres plus to 250 acres plus. I think I even recall one saying nothing less than 2,000.

I think medium sized ponds would be more of a problem. Small ponds are very easy to control by fishing and trapping.

My BC should have their first spawn this year, so I'll let you know! \:\)

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'll be interested to hear...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday