Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B

Quote from JHAP: they might be crazy eyed guy sitting in a run down hotel room in the middle of New York surrounded by concrete, tapping away on a dingy laptop, looking at photos of ponds and lusting after them.

JHAP: I thought you said you were going to be in Pennsylvania, not New York.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bing
JHAP: I thought you said you were going to be in Pennsylvania, not New York.

OH SNAP!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Please specify New York, as New York City.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Good point Adirondack. I'm sure residents of New York state get tired of hearing about people complaining about or making fun of New York city. Post Edited.

Oh and by the way I have no idea what OH SNAP means I just heard it on the My Name is Earl tv show and liked the way it sounded. I'm sort of impressionable that way.

OK I'm done mucking around with this thread. Back to muck harvesting...

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Good point Adirondack. I'm sure residents of New York state get tired of hearing about people complaining about or making fun of New York city. Post Edited.

Just as all of California is not Southern California, and all of Ohio is not Cleveland.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I like to think of Ohio as more of Aakron.
..kidding, just kidding!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I've always kinda wondered why people don't provide that type of info. When a person wants to ask questions, their location really does matter. To a certain extent, their profession also might dictate the type of response; especially if they are in a pond related business.

Hey,I filled out my profle didnt I?I said I was from Texas didnt I?I said I was a mechanic,didnt I?Was I supposed to admit Im a coplete idiot(If you cant figure that out you belong in the cell next to mine)?Was I supposed to fess up I got fired from my own business from someone out of state I'd never met before?(Sunil,notice how I didnt let come out that you did that?) :oShesh,how much info do you guts want,anyway? \:D \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
O.K.,Texas IS kinda big...I live somewhere around the middle

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Just a little useless trivia; You could live in 9 other states, and be closer to New York City than the majority of the area of New York State. (ok I'll shut-up now).

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
TOM G, I know you feel better now, after we've met, when I call down to your office and fire you.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Just a little useless trivia; You could live in 9 other states, and be closer to New York City than the majority of the area of New York State. (ok I'll shut-up now).

Do you mean geographically or wrt lifestyle, or both?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I guess I'll have to stick with geographically, If I talk about politics I'll get censored. (ha ha ) ( talk about digging up muck)

Last edited by adirondack pond; 10/30/08 01:43 PM.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I figured that went without saying

I subscribe

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
On the topic of muck removal I paddle around my pond and jab the kayak paddle into the bottom to release the gas bubbles in the muck. I'm not sure how much this helps, but it sure releases alot of gas. (pond gas, not mine! )

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I also occasionally do the same thing with a paddle. I don't know if it helps any, but it is interesting, and amazing to see that much "air" trapped in the leaves and debris.

I had a nice long discussion about bacteria and enzyme treatment with Bill Cody as this year's Pond Boss Conference. One thing, if I understood Bill correctly, that he advised is when I put bacteria in areas with high "muck" it might be helpful to stir up the muck beforehand, such as running a trolling motor or small outboard through it to stir it up. Sure makes sense to me that some of it is in suspension when I dump the treatment in the water.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
I like to think of Ohio as more of Aakron.
..kidding, just kidding!

What are you talking about Sunil?????

Ohio= Cincinatti, WKRP in

Favorite episode was Thanksgiving when Les thought the turkey could fly......... \:D \:D \:D \:D

Lunker
Lunker
"Oh, the humanity!"

-S. M. Stirling
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Sorry for the delay. I thought I would receive an automatic notification from the site that someone read my post and wanted more information. I decided to check and saw a few others that had wanted some pictures. I am not sure how to add pictures but here are some comments (I will add pictures later):

The pump is a 50 gpm diaphragm positive displacement pump. The bag is 15' x 25'. The suction is a garbage pail over a suction strainer. I tired 3 different versions. One was no restriction...just the strainer. However when the front part of the strainer was embedded in muck, the back portion was in already cleaned water so the suction took the path of least resistance...the clean water and short circuited. The garbage pail was my first attempt to minimize the short circuiting. The next version had too large a garbage can and the top would let in clearer water than the thick muck at the bottom. The version shown works just right and lets just a little water in along with the muck to keep things flow able. The solids content of the muck is about 20 - 30% so it is very thick, but pumpable. A centrifugal pump could not work in this environment since it can only handle 1-3% solids. The middle bag photos is about where the bag is currently at regarding thickness due to sludge. The knife gate valve is a 3" size so that I can disconnect hoses and leave the muck in the dewatering bag. The bag filters out all solids down to the 50 micron size and is normally used for construction pumping projects to handle site drainage. The bags are not reusable. The large bag cost $200 but it is worth every penny. Enjoy.........Doug

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Thanks for checking back in. This is still of intrest to me. This works on the same idea as a dredge but a lot smaller.
How is the work comming?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Doug, heres how to post the pics. Most of us use photobucket, which is free, and resize to 600X480.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92443#Post92443

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Doug,are you familiar with Sediment Removal Solutuions in Ohio, we are going to have them do a few small ponds for us this summer. They may have some info on their site that can help you http://www.mucksuckers.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That is a very interesting link and service, Ted. Considering how often I see members asking about how to handle excessive muck, we should archive something like that for reference.
-
Do you have any experience with that process?

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
As soon as I can get a plane ticket I well look at this mucksucker stuff.

J
jal Offline
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
Hi Doug and all. My first posting and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the info my brain has received, is receiving, is processing about ponds, etc.

I have a question, Doug, and I hope it hasn't been covered, as I said, brain reeling.

With your unit, self built I assume, how much area can you cover in an hour/half day/full day?

Has anyone used aeration to remove muck? How effective has it been for you?

How long did it take for the water to leach out of the muck/the woven bag?

I don't suppose that holes drilled in a cribbed containment vessel would work to drain the water, or would it?

I'm sure many more questions will arise. I actually called mucksuckers and they seem pretty pricey.

Thanks,

jal

Last edited by jal; 02/26/09 02:57 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails