Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,789
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Theeck, Rick O, catscratch, canyoncreek, Augie, Bigtrh24, Shorthose, Theo Gallus, esshup, JasonInOhio), 875 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
Sundown ski area is located in Dubuque, Iowa.
Correction: Hill of Iowa!
Sorry......

I have been to Sundown. It was a lot better than I expected. Certainly worth the trip from Peoria vs heading to Indianhead in the UP.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Matt Alger
3)Pasture land that is cut through by a naturally eroded ditch. When looking at contour lines this looks like a great site to significantly reduce the required excavation. It seems that it is almost made for building a lake to my dimensions. This ditch only carries water during rains but quickly dries up once the runoff from about 400 acres of land that empties through this location. Obviously the main problem would be silting since most of the watershed to this area is cropland. If I interpreted the Illinois NRCS calculations correctly, the silt would fill in at a rate of about 0.5”/year. Since the silt would be more of an issue near the inlet, this likely would require periodic digging (every 5 - 10 years?) to maintain the depth of the pond. Rental of a long reach excavator might have to be in the ongoing budget.

There are ways to reduce silt. In the case above one should consider building the long narrow lake beside the ditch. Install a control gate and silt filter at the intake. This allows the excessive spring runoff to route around the pond. I believe your excavation estimates are a little steep. If one was to simply dig a pit that was 10'x 250'x 2300' your talking about 213k yards of dirt. The going rate around my part of the world is 1.25 to 1.50 per yard (Otto can confirm it has been 2 years sense I hired a dirt contractor). @ 1.50/yd = 320k$ max. Also you should never have to dig the pit to 10 ft because you can use the dirt that is removed to berm around the pond and store water above ground greatly reducing the amount of soil that has to be excavated. Storing water above ground is the most efficient means of building a pond of any type.

I have a friend that lives on a private ski lake community. Apparently there is a certain way they cut and slope the sides to reduce wave action. Here is a link that a person in the community wrote about their experiences http://www.utoronto.ca/ski/water/faq/stmanmade.html

You can google “private ski lake justin texas” and see an aerial of the place. It has a ski lake and jump lake side by side. 12 homes in the community.

There are many sites and companies that specialize in this type of lake design you should consult some of them.

Good luck with your project
Rocky

Last edited by rockytopper; 02/12/09 02:35 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Great input everyone. I will try to make this question short:

One of my potential sites has a lot of Ipava Silt Loam which seems to be is good but the site would require a long but low berm/dam on one side. The Soil Survey Site states that Ipava is "Very Limited" for Embankments, Dikes, & Levees due to "Depth to Saturated Zone" with a (1.00) factor.

Can someone please explain why "Depth to Saturated Zone" makes a specific soil bad for burms and dams?

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Is this a great site or what?

Matt Alger you may not get all the info you need here but you will get a lot be sure and continue to share with us what you find out.

I for one did not know a 637 would move more dirt than 2 pull pans.

The key to this project is the right property, and it looks like you are doing your homework on that.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: otto
Is this a great site or what?

Matt Alger you may not get all the info you need here but you will get a lot be sure and continue to share with us what you find out.

I for one did not know a 637 would move more dirt than 2 pull pans.

The key to this project is the right property, and it looks like you are doing your homework on that.

Yes, scrapers are very efficient but also very expensive which is why many people go with ag tractors and pull pans. For small ponds, it is likely that the pull pans would be a lower %/yard. However, for 800+ feet haul distance it is tough to beat a scraper.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Would you want to use rip rap or otherwise protect the shore line from wake damage?

He sure would! There is a pond near North Webster, Indiana where they sell water sport supplies via mail order. (Bart's Ski Shop.) They apparently did some high speed boating in the pond without rip rap and you can tell. Not sure if they rectified it yet, but last time I looked they tore the living hell out of the banks. Looks terrible!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I am reading and learning a lot but seem to have even more questions now:

Where do you go to find out why the different ratings in the NRCS Soil Survey Website limit ponds. For example: Why does "Depth to Saturated Zone" makes a specific soil bad for burms and dams?

Also, What factors do you really need to look at on this website when selecting a site: I am paying close attention to:

% Clay (>20%)
Saturated Hydraulic Conductivity (<10??)
Pond Reservior Areas (Unfortunately most state "somewhat limited" due to "Seepage" = 0.72?)
Embankments, Dikes, & Levees (Unfortunately most soils are "somewhat limited" due to "Piping" = 0.7 - 0.98 or "Very Limited" due to "Depth to Saturization Zone" = 1.0)

I know everyone says there is no substitute for test holes but It would be nice to have a fairly good idea if a property that I am targeting is a good choice or not.

One site I am considering is part of an old (hasn't been used in 30 years) sand and gravel quarry. I would normally assume sand and gravel is bad but there is some standing water in the lowest area. Any thoughts?

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
If you do not have the % clay (20%) it is hard to get started.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Is 20% sufficient? I know most people here say 30% but all that I seem to find around here is 20 - 22%

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
The book says you need 30%.
With all the other requirments fulfilled you can use 20%.

It is hard to get everything perfect when you working with mother nature.

Matt did you ever build the ski lake?

R
R
Welcome to Pond Boss!

We will be thrilled on how your project will turn out. Just keep us posted.

S
S
really curious if you ever dug a ski lake @Matt Alger
im digging one in alberta now, heavy wet clay.

Last edited by six buoys; 06/15/20 12:36 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by FireIsHot - 04/19/24 07:49 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward