Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,958
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (gautprod, catscratch, Omaha, Theo Gallus, Lake8, Sunil, J. R., FishinRod), 1,382 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lunker
Lunker
Hey Cecil:
You have to understand, we were young an dumb and on an adventure of a lifetime... Imagine losing all that money in hard earned waitress tips!!! It was the old time Vegas too.
I had no idea it was that hot in Texas either.
I do have cabin fever though, it has been snowing all day and they are predicting snow every day through Wednesday. We have photos of where somebody went out on one of the bigger lakes with an ATV and cleared walking paths, and people with kids walking on them, with storm drains (the lakes are flowing underneath the ice) where you can see open water not that far away. Cecil, your place looks cool.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
Lunker
Lunker

Sue in Florida:
You are so lucky!

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: 2catmom
Hey Cecil:
You have to understand, we were young an dumb and on an adventure of a lifetime... Imagine losing all that money in hard earned waitress tips!!! It was the old time Vegas too.

Sorry Lynda I can't relate. I was wise the day I was born and smart as they come. Never made a mistake in my life. Nope I'm prefect.

Just in case you thought so my criticism of gambling was not directed towards you.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Not that cold here: 3 Deg F for the second morning in a row. Supposed to get to -7 or so tonight.

I got to plow snow for the first time this year last night. I had about an inch of it on me when I finished.

Crazy winter! I finally had to plow snow tonight for the first time this season. Not much, only about 3 inches, but enough to make it very difficult for my iddy-biddy commuter car to make it up the very steep part of our driveway. This usually starts to happen around Thanksgiving.

But cold! Geeze, it was -7 here at the house on Saturday morning, and -16 where I went for a meeting. By New Years, I'd already gone through as much firewood as I usually go through all winter.

Last Thursday night I went to close down the chicken coop, and the rooster was cuddled up with one of the hens in an egg laying box!

I think my fish are skating upside down in the pond.

But -- if this keeps up, I may actually get to go ice fishing this weekend!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

I think my fish are skating upside down in the pond.

\:D \:D \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: tejasrojas
2catmom
That could of been my fault. Back in the day some of us got the idea that we could stem the invasion by changing the road signs on the other side of the Red.
Having grown up in Texas, just a stones throw from the blackland praries, we got use to looking at the horizion. Never had to study the road maps in too much detail, just needed to know the general direction of your destination and you'd get there eventually. A landmark from wich get your bearings was never too far away.
I took a job in Conneticut one summer and stayed in upstate New York. It was beautiful country, but all those trees and clouds blocking out the sun, with two lane roads that never seemed to have a straight section over a quarter mile long... I was lost and felt a little sense of claustrophobia the whole time. My internal compas was wacked.
That was the first summer I spent out of Texas and the first time I ever had to consider wearing a jacket on July and August mornings. But every two weeks we'd fly back to DFW. I'll admit that there were a couple of times, when upon opening those teminal doors and being greeted by that expanse of sun soaked concrete and seeing the tar boiling on the blacktop, I questioned whether if we had landed at home or in hell.

Originally Posted By: jeffreythree
You don't want to move here 2catmom. Maybe we should post a brutal thread this summer about heat? Everybody gets sick in the winter to because the weather never makes up its mind. I think every week this winter has had at least one cold day and one high 60s day. They call them "snowbirds" for a reason.

Texas rules IF you inherited the right genes from the right ancestors that colonized the state and lived through brutal winters and HOT summer with NO AC, running water or indoor plumbing.
My Grandpa started with a small bottom land farm and made a crop - bought some land - made a crop - bought some land - built a cotton gin and bought some land.
Tough folks - I love Texas - HOT and COLD.....

Son of The Republic of Texas and proud of it ...!

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Well, we never talked about it much so I'm guessing, like alot of Texans, my acestors got here a few horse lengths ahead of a posse or a jealous husband.

Son of a son of son of a b....!

Life’s mostly scars and souvenirs
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well, we never talked about it much so I'm guessing, like alot of Texans, my acestors got here a few horse lengths ahead of a posse or a jealous husband.

\:D \:D \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Son of a son of son of a b....!
My mother wouldn't ever talk about that side of the family ....

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My roses are starting to put out new growth.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I started planting the garden Sunday.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This is brutal. Early last week it was -7. Then it was +58 last Friday. We've got a few inches of snow on the ground. It is +23 degrees now, and raining like crazy. It is supposed to rain until well into tomorrow, but never get above freezing.

I'm glad I mostly heat with wood, cook with gas, and have a generator to run the well pump.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How about an ice check from Ill, IN, and OH.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I am listening to the tap-tap of sleet on the window as I cruise the forums tonight. It was 85 on Friday and drove on ice for 120 miles today coming home \:\( . It took a while.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah--let's hear from IL, IN, and OH. Even in deep south Texas it's supposed to freeze tonight. It rained a good part of the day too, so it will be icy in the morning.

Unfortunately, folks down here don't know how to drive on ice, even though we get ice a few times per winter. Should get interesting.

The tilapia were still alive this week, but they may not make it if this cold front stays long enough.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
How about an ice check from Ill, IN, and OH.

We've had freezing rain since about 8:00 PM yesterday; it looks like we've got at least another couple of hours worth more to go.

I used the better part of valor and am staying home and off the roads today. I hope the power stays on.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"I used the better part of valor and am staying home and off the roads today."

That's just weak.

This is the time to bring out the '79 Rally Sport.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 01/28/09 08:50 AM. Reason: Plastic bumper, bro - '79

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
The very definition of "Death Wish" is driving a '79 Camaro on ice.

Never, never, NEVER again.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I started out in Muleshoe, NNNWWW Texas. I learned to drive on ice. Not a lot of above ground structure between there and the Rocky Mountains.

I'm reminded about the joke regarding 2 soldiers walking guard duty during a blizzard at Goose Bay Labrador. One remarked to the other "Man, don't you know it's cold in Amarillo tonight.".

I have forgotten how and see absolutely no benefit in relearning.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I drive a 20+ mile commute to work, using one of the main artery expys into Chicago. 1/2 the trip is expy; 1/2 is suburbia/city. We are going thru a new winter-driving learning curve since we have all been put on a low salt diet. There is very little salt being used this year due to low inventories of NACL and the tax dollars to purchase it. Heck, my softener salt has gone up about 20%. Anyway, ice becomes a huge threat again. The body and fender shops have to got to be busy. I imagine it will trickle right back down to the consumer in auto insurance rates.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D

tire chains...

GSF are people too!

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
It looks like we have about seven inches of cover. First sleet and frozen rain then snow. This all started at about 6:00PM Monday. We'll get up to around 23 today, at 9:00 AM it is 16 and the sun is shining. Interstate 70 which runs from St. Louis to Indianapolis is reported snow covered all the way from metro east St. Louis to the Indiana border and on. Sure is pretty out here with snow clinging to all of the trees and cardinals, finches, and others eating the sunflower seeds, thistle, and suet Mrs. B has been putting out for them. Mongo was on his way out to our place Monday evening to watch the Purina show with us when he got called out. Maybe Mrs. Mongo can give us an update but he has likely been running a snow plow ever since.

We will be here all week.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I confess, I onced belonged to a notorious group of rednecks who would patrol I35 in our four wheel drives loaded down with three cases of Budweiser and stout logging chains. Our mission was to deny the tow truck companies thier due.

We never charged for our services. In fact, like the mythical St. Bernard with the cask on the collar, we were likely to send the the once stranded driver down the road with a cold Bud from our stash. That that cask was supposed to contain brandy never occured to us.

I'm fairly certain that is a federal crime now, but I believe the statute of limitations has run out.

Life’s mostly scars and souvenirs
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca

tire chains...

Tire chains? On a Camaro? Ewwwwww!

I'd sell my Mama to the Gypsies first. Cheap.

Notice to Gypsies and Romani-philes: This was just idle talk and was not intended as a threat. I would not actually sell my Mama and, if I did, would not burden folks as fine as Gypsies with the task of putting up with her.

-S. M. Stirling
M
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
M
Yes, indeed Mongo has been a busy snowplow boy. He's been on the nite crew this week -- Sun nite approx 7hr & Mon & Tues nites 12hrs each nite. All said & done his route had about 9" snow with a light glaze. Tues. nite towards Wed morning blowing & drifting. He was very disappointed to miss the RFD show on Mon but he does love his job especially plowing snow. Bing kindly offered to let him watch the show.
Mongo very happy! He wasn't impressed by my overview of the show. (Here I thought all the "lurking" on the forum & typing pond stuff would have qualified me. LOL)
Thank you Bing for bailing me out.

Mrs. Mongo

"Pushing to Please"

Pond Boss Conference Attendee 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 & 2015
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Theo Gallus - 04/25/24 05:18 PM
What did you do at your pond today?