Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 838 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Greg I just now saw your pictures and I whole heartedly agree with Jeff. Those bass are crazy big! What are those bass eating dogs and cats?

james holt #146007 01/22/09 09:30 PM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
James when you do anything long enough you are bound to get lucky once in awhile. Shocking lakes since 1999 so got a few good uns along the way. Seriously it is not hard to grow big bass. You just have to do the right things in the right environment and follow a solid plan.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
james holt #146008 01/22/09 09:30 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
This is such a difficult topic because I like to catch lots of bass maybe even if they are stunted over catching only one big one. Is that just crazy?this is the typical size fish out of my pond it is three and a half pounds. Is that skinny for its length?

james holt #146011 01/22/09 09:55 PM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
kinda hard to tell if 17 or 18 inches. if 17" 100% Wr is 2.7 lbs if it is 18" 3.2 lbs so 3.5 is excellent. If you have lots of 10-12 inch bass you would expect those over the hump to be healthy. Your on your way my friend to growing some big 'uns. Did he go back, if not send us the otolith and we will age him for you. I know you were taking notes when matt showed folks how to do that. Hopefully though he went back. His mouth looks small that is a good sign!

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Greg Grimes #146015 01/22/09 09:58 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
He did go back but what are you feeding your fish? The relative weights on those fish must be off the charts.

james holt #146047 01/23/09 08:06 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: james holt
This is such a difficult topic because I like to catch lots of bass maybe even if they are stunted over catching only one big one. Is that just crazy?

You bring up an interesting point James. Many Pond Meisters (myself included at least initially) set a goal of have a "Trophy Bass" pond. Yet I think many people (myself included) don't fully grasp the potential consequences of that decision. On several occasions it has been pointed out by many of the learned scholars of this forum that in order to have a true Trophy Bass pond you will by necessity have a relatively small number of large bass per acre of water. Ultimately you will be catching the same bass over and over and more likely than not that bass will become more hook shy and be more difficult to catch. So the pond meister has made a trade off of catching a large number of LMB per outing to the potential of catching a trophy bass occasionally. Quite a dilemma eh? A while back in one of the Pond Boss magazines there was an article about a gentleman that was primarily concerned with catch rates and not the size of the catch and this person stocked a large number of various species in his pond and intentionally let them be a little hungry. In this way he insured that guests to his pond would have the ability to catch any one of a multitude of different kinds of fish and catch quite a few of them. Over the past year or so I have decided that I am no longer interested in managing for trophy bass. I am more interested in catching a variety of fish. I already have LMB, GSF, BG, and RES in the pond and this year I'm gonna add Sacramento Perch. I have decided to follow the "Willie Nille" Philosophy of pond stocking. I don't know whether or not this will achieve what I want, time I'm sure will tell.

Oh and by the way your idea isn't necessarily crazy, on the other hand asking this group whether or not something pond related is crazy, well that's just crazy.

I'm sure the experts can address this topic (trophy bass pond versus catch rates or put another way - managing a pond for catch rates rather that large size fish) better than I or even refute my entire premise as I could have it completely wrong. What say you learned scholars and pond meisters extraordinaire?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Thank you Jeff you made me feel better because I go back and forth and when it may take ten years to reach a goal of a trophy bass pond going back and forth every year between size and numbers makes reaching that goal of a trophy difficult. I know some people on the forum have the luxery of two ponds and can have seperate goals for each. However many of us that have only one pond try to have the two ponds together. This can cause a biomass crash because we have many large fish instead of just a few per acre and so each year someone has a fish kill. I really like George's idea of a fish ladder having different sizes of fish that can be caught. I wonder if it should be more like a pyramid with the smallest numbers of fish being the largest fish reducing the chances of a fish kill. It seems to do this would take a plan of managment and removal of certain sizes. Jeff what do you plan on removing each year to keep your pond from having a biomass crash?

james holt #146062 01/23/09 09:17 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Jeff what do you plan on removing each year to keep your pond from having a biomass crash?

I think the best answer that I have for this question is a little of everything but a lot of Bluegill. If I could teletransport myself back in time then I would not have added Bluegill. I would have added the RES and Sacramento Perch and therefore had a LMB, GSF, RES and Sacramento Perch pond. It's not that I dislike BG, they are fun to catch and very good eating, it's just that they are such a prolific breeder that I think I'm going to have to really concentrate on removing them in order to ensure any viable populations of the other species of sunfish. And by the way I have no idea if this is going to work or not. I do know that I would rather be able to catch a multitude of fish each outing. Fishing on our pond in 2008 was poor. We stocked our pond in spring of 2007 and then had a massive fish kill in summer/fall of 2007 (we had Elodea that had grown to about 70% coverage on our pond and my theory is that this ultimately caused an oxygen crash). The numbers of fish in our pond by late 2007 was significantly reduced. But in a way this was a good thing. In 2008 we embarked on an Elodea war and reduced to about 5% coverage, we allowed some american pond weed to claim some territory and now I believe have a reasonable amount of pond vegetation. We witnessed excellent recruitment of all of the fish species in 2008, we saw fry and young of the year in all species and I caught the largest LMB in 2008 that I have ever seen in our pond (four pounds and well fed, nothing trophy sized but it was fun none the less). I'm planning on adding Sacramento Perch this year (just because they are native to our area and grow to a decent size) and will continue on vegetation control. I just want to catch fish, they don't have to be huge and I'd like to be able to throw the line out and have the opportuninty to catch any one of a number of species. If that's crazy then I'm ready for the asylum.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Oh and here's a photo of the LMB that I caught on our pond in 2008. It's nothing compared to the size of the LMB that other pond meisters here have but it was a fun catch on ultra light tackle.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
davatsa Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Good discussion, guys!

James, I agree with the pyramid theory. I think that's what many ponds would look like if you drained them. The smallest types of forage, added together, would form the bulk of the biomass. The pyramid would taper for each larger species (each type of predator). I think you hit the nail on the head with the "2 ponds in one" theory: it's difficult to have large numbers of trophy fish. The reason is because you'd have to keep FEEDING large numbers of trophy fish to keep them at a healthy Wr, and it is a rare pond that can sustain those sorts of populations.

That is why fertilization, aeration, etc. are important--they allow you to alter nature just a little to get more biomass. You can have a little bit of cake and eat it too.

Jeff, that's a pretty bass. At least you didn't bend it. I also like your multi-species idea. It sounds similar to what Norm Kopecky did, except I believe his method was put & take with almost exclusively predator species. I'd love to have a pond dedicated to growing trophy fish of choice, plus another pond with a hodgepodge of all different species and sizes of fish. If I could only have one, I'd rather have better catch rates with multiple species and try for an occassional trophy fish as a bonus.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
davatsa #146075 01/23/09 11:26 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
There is nothing wrong with wanting 1 trophy LMB , or 2 trophy BG or 3 a balanced pond. Good review of the tradeoffs Jeff.

Here is why if I had one pond I would manage for a balanced pond. You might catch a trophy LMB or trophy BG or #s of LMB or BG or RES etc. A balanced pond is a healthy pond for all fish species. Often (not always nor necessarily) a trophy pond has one species that is overcrowded and thin (not the most healthy situation for that species as they are under stress). To much stress leads to problems. You can have a balanced pond population with bigger fish by feeding pellets. Notice I did not say it would be a trophy pond just fish a little bigger and healthier. But you have to watch #s and water quality.

ewest #146082 01/23/09 12:53 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
James,

That's a nice LMB. Personally I would rather catch those all day long as opposed to searching for one big LMB. That size of LMB puts up a good fight. I was like you at one time also (I kind of still am). I cant decide whether I want to be able to go out and catch a bunch of decent sized LMB or just a couple realy Large LMB. I would like to have both scenarios available (imagine that an pondmeister want's it all :D) After a lot of thought a blanced pond with a good catch rate of healthy LMB is a more suitable goal for me (but I still have a dream of catching a 10 lb+ LMB from my pond).

Brett295 #146086 01/23/09 01:05 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Having only a few species is boring to me.

I love not knowing what is on the end of the line until you get your eyes on it.

Like last summer, I had a fish on, and it was fighting like a freight train. I told my care taker dude to get his camera ready.

I get the fish in, and it's this 15" HSB which BTW is the small for my pond. Most all of my HSB are 18" and up.

The caretaker is ready to take a picture and I was like, don't bother dude.

I thought I had a huge LMB or a channel cat on.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #146089 01/23/09 01:16 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
whatever the goal, the trick is maintaining yer ideal state of pond over multiple seasons....things change so fast, especially in small ponds.

JHAP, best not to stick fingers in gill area for fish intended for release......i'm guilty of that alot too but was recently reminded of this on my OTHER forum.

GSF are people too!

Sunil #146096 01/23/09 03:09 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

I love not knowing what is on the end of the line until you get your eyes on it.

Like last summer, I had a fish on, and it was fighting like a freight train. I told my care taker dude to get his camera ready.

I get the fish in, and it's this 15" HSB which BTW is the small for my pond. Most all of my HSB are 18" and up.

The caretaker is ready to take a picture and I was like, don't bother dude.

I thought I had a huge LMB or a channel cat on.
I agree with Sunil .... "thought i had a big LMB and it was only a 15' HSB ...
LMB are boring and a pain in th a** to control without making fun into work ... but what's a "SHARECROPPER" gonna do when his landlord loves LMB? \:\(

I LOVE SMALlIES ...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

george1 #146126 01/23/09 09:16 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Jeff what was the rw on that fish it looks really fat?

Sunil #146153 01/24/09 05:47 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

I agree, I am the same way! A pond with only LMB, BG, RES and CC is nowhere near as fun as a hodge podge pond!

CJBS2003 #146154 01/24/09 05:52 AM
D
davatsa Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Beautiful lab by the way, CJB!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
james holt #146188 01/24/09 10:08 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Jeff what was the rw on that fish it looks really fat?

I don't know for certain. Unfortunately the day that I caught it I had a scale with me but not a measuring tape. The bass weighted just over 4 pounds. When I caught the bass I posted it on pond boss and the general consus was an rw of between 115% and 130%. I now make sure that I have a measuring tape in the tackle box at all times - at least I had a scale and a camera. Oh and by the way this was a MAJOR improvement of LMB rw for us. Prior to that we had been catching LMB in the 70% to 80% rw range.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
JHAP, best not to stick fingers in gill area for fish intended for release......i'm guilty of that alot too but was recently reminded of this on my OTHER forum.

I didn't know that. See there you do learn something every day. That bass was thrashing like mad. Ricki took a bunch of photos of it to come up with one where it was holding still.

Oh and as an also and besides, I caught that LMB on an Ultra Light rig with 6 pound test. It hit on a 1/16 oz rooster tail (I know super small jig) in very shallow water - I was actually fishing for GSF and BG at the time, it didn't occur to me that a 4 pound LMB would hit such a small jig, of course admittedly I am an amature fisherman at best.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

ewest #146192 01/24/09 10:21 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Here is why if I had one pond I would manage for a balanced pond. You might catch a trophy LMB or trophy BG or #s of LMB or BG or RES etc. A balanced pond is a healthy pond for all fish species.

This is what we are striving for. A balanced pond with decent relative weights (at least not skinny fish). Admittedly this might be difficult given the variety of species that we have. We are going to actively track RW during 2009 to try to make so assessment of the various species and then develop a culling strategy accordingly.

Originally Posted By: ewest
You can have a balanced pond population with bigger fish by feeding pellets. Notice I did not say it would be a trophy pond just fish a little bigger and healthier. But you have to watch #s and water quality.

Feeding is not a option for us (absentee owners, the pond is 500 miles away). I guess the question is (at least in our pond) will it be possible to have a pond with a variety of species that have decent relative weights without feeding?

I realize that I have probably made my life more difficult in selecting a variety of fish but for those of you that know me, you know that if there is a way to get to a place and back by walking up hill in both directions then that is probably the route that I will take, it's just the way I roll.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

davatsa #146197 01/24/09 10:25 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Jeff, that's a pretty bass. At least you didn't bend it. I also like your multi-species idea.

Thanks davatsa, and no I did not bend it. I did however plunge my fingers into it's gills and have been properly reprimanded for that.

It sounds similar to what Norm Kopecky did, except I believe his method was put & take with almost exclusively predator species. I'd love to have a pond dedicated to growing trophy fish of choice, plus another pond with a hodgepodge of all different species and sizes of fish. If I could only have one, I'd rather have better catch rates with multiple species and try for an occassional trophy fish as a bonus.

I'm going to have to look through my Pond Boss magazine collection and find the article. I didn't realize that he used exclusively predator species - OOPS!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

davatsa #146383 01/26/09 01:43 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Beautiful lab by the way, CJB!

Thanks! We love her and think she's beautiful too... HAHA

CJBS2003 #146407 01/26/09 10:10 AM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Guys great discussion. Keep in mind another thing, size of pond. Many folks on this board have smaller ponds say less than 2 acres. It is difficult to grow many large bass in pond this size. Most of the bass in my photos came from ponds/lakes 8 acres or more. We have many clients that have multiple ponds and I encourage exactly what you guys are talking about. It is so much fun to have a pond designed just for kids fishing, another for growing forage, etc.

Keep in mind most of these bass are coming from lakes I consider quality bass not trophy. You can catch plenty of bass from them b/c they are larger and we are using techniques to grow as many lbs/acre as well.
Jeff you said you cannot feed? Whatcha talkin bout willis, that is what a automatic feeder is for. You are missing out on a big aspect to growing more fish in that pond especially with your goals by not feeding. It may not fit for other reason but if you visit once every 6 weeks or so might want to give that some more thought. Also not surprised by the Wr the bigger bass in the pond should be healthy they have the desired food they need. Run a Wr on the smaller 11 inch bass to see how they look now. Also invest in a measuring board vs. tape measure, you can be off by 1/2” or more and throw off the Wr quite a bit on smaller fish. Run the Wr on your bluegill and greenies also.

We started selling a pond mgmt kit with a good kitchen scale and ruler or this is what we have in our packet along with data sheets to track pond info. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...rset=ISO-8859-1
With this in your arsenal you have the tools needed for DIY pond manager. Feel free to call us about the kit we will have on our website soon I hope but excited to offer it b/c we think it is what folks need.

Last edited by Greg Grimes; 01/26/09 10:13 AM.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Greg Grimes #146420 01/26/09 11:15 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Jeff you said you cannot feed? Whatcha talkin bout willis, that is what a automatic feeder is for. You are missing out on a big aspect to growing more fish in that pond especially with your goals by not feeding. It may not fit for other reason but if you visit once every 6 weeks or so might want to give that some more thought.

Unfortunatly there are times of the year (like now for instance) that we cannot visit the pond for several months. I am sure that you are right that we could do much better with feeding however right now it's not in the cards.

Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Also not surprised by the Wr the bigger bass in the pond should be healthy they have the desired food they need. Run a Wr on the smaller 11 inch bass to see how they look now. Also invest in a measuring board vs. tape measure, you can be off by 1/2” or more and throw off the Wr quite a bit on smaller fish. Run the Wr on your bluegill and greenies also.

We started selling a pond mgmt kit with a good kitchen scale and ruler or this is what we have in our packet along with data sheets to track pond info.

Wow, interesting you show that Haug Trough measuring board, we have that exact measuring board - I just didn't have it on the boat at the time. We now keep it in the fishing duffle bag (we keep a medium duffle bag with all the fishing gear in it because it's easier to move around in the alum boat and kayak). I am going to track Wr (that seems backwards to me) on everything that I catch this year. I like your kit idea, I would have purchased that through you if I had known that you sold something like that. I would much prefer to go through a pond boss vendor than a big store outfit.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...