Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,923
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (canyoncreek, ghdmd, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, catscratch, Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, Theo Gallus, phinfan), 840 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Our pond is starting to fill to the point where we need to make decisions on what type of dock we are going to construct. We will be doing all of the work, other than digging the holes. Is there a good resource for ideas/prints for wooden and or concrete docks? Thanks.

New to the forum and look forward to the info/help on here!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Here is a string from a floating dock that I built. It has a link to a site that has instructions. http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106705&fpart=1

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
BoilerUp....welcome to the Pond Boss forum! Good to have another midwesterner on board!

my dock journey

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Welcome Boiler! I built a floating dock this past summer, holds 16-20 kids safely, (I only know cuz we tried to tip it over at our hog roast this year, to no avail), and it cost me less than 80 bucks to construct it. If interested in a non-permanent design, let me know, I can post some pics for you. (built with 55 gal. drums)

I have buried the hatchet.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Kevin, I speak for others - we're interested! please post pics, plans, material list, etc. thanks

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
We, too, kicked around wood inplace dock vs floating dock until it was almost too late. We finally went with the wooden dock and have no regrets, however, we took precautions to make sure the lumber was right size/type for submerged in water and concreted). I will post picture later today for you to see--it is a simple dock 8' x 16' with railings.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Hope these pics give you some idea of what the carpenter built for us from a simple drawing I gave him. I hang my feeder from it and have a bench to sit on. It was done latter part of 2006; our pond filled up very quickly after it was constructed. I got quotes from $1,500 to $3,000 so if you can do the work yourself it would be a lot cheaper. \:\)

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Here is my floating dock/dare I say barge in progress?

Last edited by Chris Steelman; 01/12/09 08:21 PM.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
nope didn't work, hang on.

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
K
Lunker
Lunker
K

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Framed with treated 2x6's($76.00), whatever dimensions of barrels were, stainless steel screws($4.00/box). Screwed barrels into framing at top of barrel(no water), decking came from a demo job I helped neighbor with(free, turned upside down, brand new surface on unused side. $80.00 total, less sweat. To hide the barrels, in the spring I plan to cover with more decking (vertically). Easy peasy japaneasy.? I never write anything down, so I can't tell you what the dimensions of barrels or framing, and I ain't going down to the pond in this blizzard, but I can tell you that barrels are free, at most big car washes!!! P.S. You could probably get away with less barrels than I used!

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Welcome fellow Boilermaker! I like the fixed wooden dock. This is my one of a kind. Definitely easier to build before the water but can be done after full pool. Where in Indiana do you live?

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Thanks for the info and great pics. I plan on going with the fixed, permanent style dock. Blaine, I like the layout of your dock pictured. I was thinking of a "T" shape design using 8" or 10" cardboard cores and filling with quickrete as the posts.
Blaine, where did you get the electric poles? By the way, I live in Southeast Indiana (Dearborn Co.) Your pond looks familiar...I used to deliver fish though, so a lot of ponds look familiar to me!!

Thanks

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
BoilerUp,

I live in NE Hamilton county. My initial stocking was done by Matt Rayl of American Pond & Lake Mgmt in 2006. Suplimental stocking done by Jones in 2007.

The utility company was replacing the poles along a nearby road for bigger poles. The ones coming out were in great shape and I asked the foreman if I could have a few. He was happy to give me all that I wanted so that he didn't have to haul them away. I got a bunch of heavyduty hardware that was being discarded as well. I couldn't believe the waste, nor my good fortune and timing. I have looked for used poles since and been successful in locating them here and there.

I first considered the "T" shape as well but ended up choosing the solid "Y" shape because I could eliminate two poles and maybe fit some chairs and a small table for a few people. Required a custom made steel angle bracket for mid support. After much deliberation I decided against setting the poles in concrete. I drilled a 15" X 5' hole and packed them in. 3.5 years later, still solid as can be.

Is your water line up to your farthest reach of your future dock yet?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Here is a picture shortly after completion. Dock height at the end is approx. 12' from bed of pond. Most important... Know your EXACT full pool water line before setting the dock height. Then double check it. I could go into details as to why I say that but just trust me. The picture below was taken before I had to raise the deck by 18".

Lunker
Lunker
Welcome BoilerUp!
I can't help you with your questions, but as you can see there are many people here who can, and love to help others. You have hit the jackpot by finding this site. Check out the podcast, and the magazine, and they even have books that can help.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Blaine
Most important... Know your EXACT full pool water line before setting the dock height. Then double check it. I could go into details as to why I say that but just trust me.

When possible, I like to set the posts before the pond fills and then put on the stringers and the deck AFTER the pond is full.

Nice, thick ice is good for working on to get the deep water ends of those stringers in place, too.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Blaine, I used to work for Jones...in 07 in fact, so maybe I did the supplemental stocking. The water hasn't reached the furthest post location yet, but soon will if we get much precip. Good advice on the ice and setting the joists. water line is known to the nearest .01" with our laser so that shouldn't be a problem. What I am wrestling with is how close to waterline to set the joists. We have a relatively small watershed and dry summers like the last two will most likely leave the presence of a "high dive" off the decking to the water!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Can someone resize the pictures in this post?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Boilerup,

One thing to think of when you set the joist height. When you sit on the edge with your feet dangling... Do you want your feet to be in the water or above (shoes may be on or off, water may be warm or cold).

I remember that it was COLD the day Jones was here so there wasn't much visiting. If it was you, you released right off of the dock late afternoon (BG & FHM).

Better start on setting those posts. I suspect that it will be too late come Spring. Yes it is cold but still much less of a hassle than setting posts under water. Good luck to you.

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Blaine,

Very nice deck! Great view off dock too! Man, I wish I could see a zip-line in them trees though! Kidding of course, good job. Also, very nice 'find' on them posts! \:\)

\_~ <*((((((((((((((((<
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
floating dock hardware that i tried is from mercomarine.com

there is a reason they have 2 sections mounted perpendicular, as i was bucked off in November

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Here are photos of our fixed, floating combo dock.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Nice looking dock Captain1!

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?