Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (Swamp_Yankee, catscratch), 856 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I wouldn't mind some semi competitive fishing as long as it's not green carp. \:\/

...and no wormy live bait allowed ...

What no live bait allowed?! \:o

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I am so excited to see the change to Big Cedar! My husband and I will plan to be there! We missed not being able to go last year. My suggestion would be inviting someone from the Missouri DNR to speak about pond/fish issues/topics. They have a great department in Missouri - much better than Illinois, IMHO. How about a golf outing to a nearby course? Any golfers planning on attending?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A lot of conferences I attend have several different activities planned at the same time and people can choose to do what interests them most. There could be a golf tournament at the same time as the fishing tournament as well as some kind of shooting activity. It would be a good idea to schedule the activities the day before the actual "conference" starts up. I'm sure most will be showing up atleast a day early.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You guys are nuts trying to jockey for a slot with Condello as a fishing partner.

I'm taking Sue Cruz as my fishing partner (the bidding is closed now!).

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: george1
I wouldn't mind some semi competitive fishing as long as it's not green carp. \:\/

...and no wormy live bait allowed ...

What no live bait allowed?! \:o

I'm movin' you guys UP a notch - fly fishing only ....

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
You guys are nuts trying to jockey for a slot with Condello as a fishing partner.

LOL \:D \:D

I'll withdraw my shotgun call!

Unless I can fish w/dynamite, I'd ruin a guy's chance at winning. \:D \:D

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Sunil, I'm not much of an angler - I hope to learn a lot next September though! I figure if I want in on the tournament I am best off to pay someone to be my partner, hense the "sponcer" idea!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

Originally Posted By: Sue Cruz
I think no matter what - laid back fishing, competitive or both, there should be beer!

Now, there's a partnership that makes perfect sense.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sue - with all that knowledge and talent - not a good fisherman - no way !

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If there's a calcutta, I'm buying Bruce.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bing
I'd even like to watch JHAP try to get through airport security with a couple of spoons or a filleting knife.

Sheesh I have enough problems with airport security as it is. If I showed up with a fillet knife they'd probably shoot me on the spot.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I don't know about you guys, but I'm dying to hear how the rest of Bob and Debbie's day has gone!!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I agree Sue. I was a little concerned yet glad to see Debbie bending some in front of the fireplace. Glad she is doing so well after the surgery!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: claybird
Any golfers planning on attending?

I may be interested in playing a round.

I have played at most of the courses in Branson. I would recommend Branson Creek. It is a beautiful course. Top of the Rock is really close to the Lodge and is a Par 3 course.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I have a new suggestion (let me know if you think it's dumb).
How about something like a Pond Boss convention yearbook, everyone could have their picture taken so we would be able to remember which face goes to what name.(I realize some members might not want their picture taken cause it's already in the post office).
Also events and happenings at the convention. If Pond Boss put this together they could sell it to us later.
This would be extra work but attendees could submit photo's of activities to make it easier for someone to put this together.
What do you think?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
A Pondboss facebook/yearbook is a good idea, but I don't want anyone to know who I am or what I look like.

But seriously, as Pondboss grows more and more, it's nice to continue to be able to put faces with screen names.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
M
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
M
Here are some of my thoughts after seeing some of the others. The potential of this conference could be overwhelming because of the time of year, location, people behind its location, family environment & activities but mostly because of Pond Boss family enthusiasm. I believe the purpose of the conference is to entice new subscribers & increase the family, to get out messages of management & being better stewards of our land & resources. Yes, I know many of these important topics have been covered in past issues of Pond Boss, but for all the new subscribers, they have to be brought up to speed. Past conferences have achieved part of these goals. I see three goals - 1) A good mixture of basic management info; 2) After the stage is set & some of the management practices have been incorporated, give them more food for thought, bring it up a level or two; 3) And for those that have survived the first 2 levels & still want more - feed them all the indepth info. I like Greg Grimes idea, also, get flyers out. It does make a difference. Last conference, I personally invited five guests to come & attend. Only one family made the commitment & journey & were glad they did. This year there will be more! As far as the extra-circular activities, I'm all for it, be it shooting sports, fishing tournament, or a "Sunil" toss.

See Ya,
Mongo

"Pushing to Please"

Pond Boss Conference Attendee 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 & 2015
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Mongo
As far as the extra-circular activities, I'm all for it...or a "Sunil" toss.

How politically incorrect can one guy be!
It's "Sunil bowling"

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Mongo, don't make me come after you; I can be deadly from the fetal position.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
 Originally Posted By: Mongo
As far as the extra-circular activities, I'm all for it...or a "Sunil" toss.

How politically incorrect can one guy be!
It's "Sunil bowling"

Whether it's for Sunil tossing, Sunil bowling, or Sunil bashing, dibs on Mongo for my team!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"You just made the list" Theo. (taken from Francis in Stripes)

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Well, yesterday was exciting, too. We met up for breakfast at the Worman House for a "conference" breakfast, as they call it. It was a buffet of eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit and pastries...and the food is excellent, prepared by chefs. It ain't no short order place, that Big Cedar Lodge. Every detail is attended to...that's Johnny Morris' way.
After breakfast, about two dozen folks (everyone there is looking to use Big Cedar for an event, conference, etc.) boarded two shuttle busses and headed out for a property tour.
The night before we toured the conference center--a classy, brand new facility.
But, next we took a look at the different lodge rooms and cabins. They have lots of choices. There are three lodges. Two are close to the conference center, just step out of the lodge and go less than 100 yards, about like Arlington, but a much, much nicer setting. We have asked them to block 100 rooms of different styles. But, when we sign the contract and you guys are ready to book rooms, you can book any available rooms or cabins they have. They also have four different places to eat, but what we've decided to do is give you choices. For the conference, we want our group to stay together, so I've asked Big Cedar to help us put together three meals a day. But, they've got several places to eat, as well as a bar.
After the property tour, Debbie and I sat down for two and a half hours with Carla Springer and Courtney Munday. Carla is our sales rep and Courtney will be our event/activities manager. We discussed a wide range of topics, from the agenda to wives to children's activities.
Here's what we roughed out.
Some folks want to arrive Wednesday. That's great. Book rooms as soon as we get the contract in order (within the next four days, we expect). There is a long list of activities from fishing to boating to golf to horseback riding to hiking to...we'll have a list from Courtney soon. We think most people will arrive Thursday, hence the idea to have a fishing tournament. But, there's plenty to do, for everyone...just look at the list and make reservations in advance for most of it. We'll get the list out as soon as we receive it.
Then, Thursday afternoon, we have booked one of their swimming pools and surrounding areas for an icebreaker (we need a sponsor for that). The icebreaker will be 6:30-8:30 pm. We will have a speakers dinner at 7:30 (anyone can sign up to hang out with the speakers, but space will be limited...first ones to sign up on the registration form can have dinner with the speakers, everyone else will be on your own at one of the restaurants).
Then, on Friday, breakfast from 7-8, trade opens at 8, first speaker at 9. Speakers from 9-10:30, coffee break, speakers from 10:45 to noon, walking-talking lunch in the trade show (included in registration fee) until 1:30, then speakers until 3. Then, head outside. There's a nice size pond where we can do electrofishing, set up some aeration systems and fountains, water chemistry lab, etc...good "hands-on" stuff until 5. Then, we have cool dinner planned on the lawn next to the conference center...cash bar at 6:30, then dinner at 7:30, then use the huge foyer for small group get togethers, etc. (Plus each lodge has nice foyers for small groups).
Then, Saturday, similar format with a banquet at the end of the day.
As soon as the contract is signed and we can put together a registration form, we'll get it on the website and in March-April issue of Pond Boss. But, I suggest you call and reserve your rooms as soon as they are available. The minute we finalize the contract, I'll post the room types and their costs and you can start calling in for reservations. Then, you can register for the conference.
There are tons of things to do. Debbie is working with Courtney on a spouse package. Big Cedar has a spa and all kinds of girlie stuff. Bring wives. They will even do a very cool culinary workshop and then the gals eat what they help make. Big Cedar also has a cool Kid's Club with organized activities for not much money. I think they said $25 per child for three hours of organized activities such as nature studies, tie-dying t-shirts, games and a snack. We'll find out the details about that, too.
We had lots to do in a short time, so we stayed focused on negotiating a contract and working out those details, first.
I'll tell you...this is a great destination for a vacation. Although, for the conference, we won't have much time to leave the property, there is so much to do, we won't be able to do it all. Some of you may want to plan a family vacation around this event. Branson is ten minutes away and that place is amazing. After we left Big Cedar, we just did a quick drive through. Although I've been to Branson a number of times, I still smile when I drive down the Hwy 76 strip.
We headed home at 3 pm yesterday and 6 hours and 15 minutes later, we were back in LL,2. 380 miles door to door for us. That's only 20 miles further than San Antonio.
Here are some photos for your review.

The Grandview Conference Center. Brand new, plenty large enough.

The big picture of the Grandview

Inside a small section of the ballroom

One type of conference set up in half of the ballroom

Lobby of the conference center

Big lobby of the conference center

The first place you go...to register for your room and pick up your Pond Boss packet.

Heading into Falls Lodge, close to the conference center.

The lobby of Falls Lodge

All kinds of cool stuff appoints the lodges

Typical room in Falls Lodge

Some of the rooms have remote-control gas fireplaces.

You'll see cool wood carvings all over the place.

Here's the view from your balcony at either of the two large lodges.

Look a little to the left and this is the view. The larger of the three ponds is the one they will let us survey and work on with the hands-on part of the conference.

Here's the pool for the first night ice-breaker.

A closer look at the pond where we will do the electrofishing and other watery hands-on stuff.

They have a 2500 square foot suite called the "Governor's Suite" It has 3 bedrooms, a loft with two double beds, a great room and two balconies. Great place for a hospitality room...I wanted to book it, but there were two things in the way...$1,400 per night and it was already booked.

Here's a typical double in the Valley View Lodge, right next to the conference center. This is where we blocked the most rooms.

More details as we get them.

Fish on!

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
This is gonna be sweet!!!!

Centrally located, any amenity desired, just don't get any better!

FWIW, if I can regain access to my porerty in time, I'll plant several acres of sunflowers to provide for some dove hunting for anyone wishing it.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I just wanted to echo everyone's thoughts on how great this place looks for a conference. I'm very happy that it is centrally located. It allows me and the family to go, since it is within a reasonable driving distance... something we couldn't do for a Texas or New Orleans location. Flying would be too cost prohibitive for the family. Anyways, just wanted to give a thumbs up, and say that my wife is as excited about going as I am, so I plan on seeing you all there.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
All the spouses are really going to miss the "locked-door" van tour of Retention Ponds in the Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Area.

It was a smash hit.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!