Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
3 members (bmo, Boondoggle, Blestfarmpond), 844 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Guys keep the ideas coming - what do you want to hear about (topics). Other than rooms when available lets see what Bob plans before we setup any events. I know he will have some outside the box plans.

George I will be driving and you can hang out with us at the booth. Start thinking about a Pond Boss III Big Cedar fly.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Well, great news!

I suppose the wife might finally get to meet you all.

I don't know if that's good or bad for her.

Heck, might have to bring the kids too.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
This would be a great family event location and a good way to introduce them to people from other areas and backgrounds safely.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I bet everyone's wife will want to attend this conference, if your wife isn't convinced have her try this site:

http://www.bransonlanding.com/current_leases.html

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
We will be less than 2 hours from World Record producing trout waters below Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes as well!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
One event the conferance should try to book as an "after-event" is the Passion Play.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
You can count on a room for JHAP & JWHAP. I have already marked this in my calendar. We will definately be going. As soon as you give us the info I'll make reservations. Dang that place looks beautiful!

We'll fly in Wednesday or Thursday (most likely Wednesday) and fly out probably Monday.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
Let's go have some great times together. Part of our intent is to schedule plenty of time before and after the conference for everyone to be able to participate in the activities around the area. Also, the program will be more relaxed (as far as time goes) than the first two.

icantwaiticantwaiticantwaiticantwait. Just remember, What happens in Missouri stays in Missouri. Well unless of course I get a photo of it. Then it'll be plastered all over the pond boss website.

We will have some intense time together with speakers, etc, but we will definitely schedule plenty of "social time" where we can congregate in small groups and just talk and brainstorm. That seemed to be important for everyone last time.

That format worked great last year. Speakers/mini seminars plus the informal time. I really enjoyed the both the brainstorming sessions and the seminars.

It's great to see the enthusiasm.

Are we there yet?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I live about 5 minutes from Lambert-St. Louis Airport and will be happy to provide transportation and if you're driving in from the east you have a place for a rest stop for anyone that wants it.

Also, if anyone wants/needs to bring small children, My 15 &16 year old daughters will be thrilled to babysit.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
I suppose the wife might finally get to meet you all.

I don't know if that's good or bad for her.

She already puts up with you - how bad could the rest of us be?

On second thought, you might want to steer her clear of JHAP, FMcB, Brettski, myself, ...

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
We will be less than 2 hours from World Record producing trout waters below Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes as well!

I got the ok from the wife, we'll be driving out, as we have relatives, and friends on the way out and back.(1247 miles)
Those trout waters sound good, I wonder if I can fit a cold water recirculating system in the back of a Ford Focus!! \:D

Last edited by adirondack pond; 01/11/09 04:15 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
AP no problem! Dry ice is sold like water around the trout areas.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
The location comes as welcome news to this Nebraskan! I would like to suggest a topic that was discussed for last year's conference I sadly missed: Fly tying for the pondmeister. If it wasn't covered last year I would definitely benefit from such a presentation.

I would also like to know how to determine the age and growth rates of a fish using scales [counting the rings] if it's not common knowledge to everyone already. Seems an important skill for pondmeisters to master.

Just my two cents - see you in 8 months!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I am so EXCITED!! I have been dying to go to this location for a meeting/convetion for years! I can't think of a better group than the Pond Boss to share it with!!! Thank you Bob! I have no doubt this will be the best convention ever! I also have no doubt that we will easily fill 100+ rooms! I will be telling every one I talk to about this meeting. The location will be ideal to actually get outside and learn "hands on" different management practices. Thank you again Bob!!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

icantwaiticantwaiticantwaiticantwait. Just remember, What happens in Missouri stays in Missouri. Well unless of course I get a photo of it. Then it'll be plastered all over the pond boss website.

Jeff, Just remember to stay away from the banjo players in the Ozarks!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Jeff, Just remember to stay away from the banjo players in the Ozarks!

Just wear a green sunfish around your neck and they won't bother you.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
My guess is we will have some hands on stuff like flies . Maybe we can get Dave or his students to do some aging (scales , fins otolith etc) as a hands on topic. That would be neat. We have some very good slides on that in the mods slide show. I think we will also have more on the cool/cold water fish species in addition to the usual bass and BG.

BUT WE NEED TO HEAR WHAT YOU GUYS ARE INTERESTED IN - and SOON as the planning has started.

Last edited by ewest; 01/11/09 05:44 PM.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I'd like to see info on cool & cold water species, and problems associated with winter kill. Mark Cornwell, Mike Mitchell,and Dave Willis have written excellent articles dealing with northern ponds.
Thats my wish list.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 01/11/09 06:20 PM.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
The advantages, disadvantages and how-to of Winter Drawdown.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Lunker
Lunker
I have a topic I think Bruce Condello and others may be willing to provide research for: Using Tilapia in Northern Waters. I never [and probably most Northern pondmeisters] considered them as forage as they aren't cold water tolerant - but changing one's views somewhat as establishing them as a resident species is what was key for me. IMO - a small, annual Springtime investment to restock Tilapia in order to keep algae growth down, waters clear, and providing a great forage base enabling my BG and YP to remain less on the SMB, LMB and HSB menu list is worth it. I like the fact they will spawn several times during the Summer, and that when waters cool they become lethargic and provide a great final feast for everything headed into winter.

Pondboss mag article covered a lot of this including the fact that predator species AND BG growth rates improved significantly with Tilapia stocking - which are big benefits in my mind. Is this something that would generate interest for anyone else besides myself?

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
teehjaeh57 Great topic, just somehow wish some beauracrats from Illinois and other no-talapia Northern states would come and see how banning them is so backward.

Bing

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I have a topic I think Bruce Condello and others may be willing to provide research for: Using Tilapia in Northern Waters. I never [and probably most Northern pondmeisters] considered them as forage as they aren't cold water tolerant - but changing one's views somewhat as establishing them as a resident species is what was key for me. IMO - a small, annual Springtime investment to restock Tilapia in order to keep algae growth down, waters clear, and providing a great forage base enabling my BG and YP to remain less on the SMB, LMB and HSB menu list is worth it. I like the fact they will spawn several times during the Summer, and that when waters cool they become lethargic and provide a great final feast for everything headed into winter.

Pondboss mag article covered a lot of this including the fact that predator species AND BG growth rates improved significantly with Tilapia stocking - which are big benefits in my mind. Is this something that would generate interest for anyone else besides myself?

TJ

Specifically, I'd like to know what date to stock depending on how far north you are, and what size to stock, and if you can still expect multiple spawns. It gets plenty hot up here in Nebraska.

Yes...great topic.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: ahvatsa
george
I am absolutely positive if your Doc gives the thumbs up we can ALL SHARE time assisting with any needs you may have. Count my son, and I in on this. We will probably fly in but once there it would be an honor and pleasure to spend time with you.
al
and I'll sign for my son david also!

Thanks much Guys ……

George, you can ride with me. I'll be driving the manly Dodge and there's nothing I would love more than hanging out with you, in a truck, listening and learning and sharing stories. I'll probably go up a couple of days early and head home either on Sunday or Monday afterward. And, it's no more than a 6 hour drive from here.

Many thanks for the invitation to hitch a ride to the upcoming conference - much appreciated.
Lots of time and lots of fun for planning.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Lunker
Bing;

Does this cover ALL Tilapia species? I know someone who stocked Blue and Nile - would those species slip 'neath the radar, or is the ban not that specific?

I can't understand how a fish that finds water temps below 54 degrees lethal being illegal to stock. Zebra mussels, Snakeheads, et al I understand - but the beauty of TP IMO is they are self regulating!

I hate to be always be the bandit...but could one employ the triple S proceedure: Stock, Shush, and Smile?

Originally Posted By: Bing
teehjaeh57 Great topic, just somehow wish some beauracrats from Illinois and other no-talapia Northern states would come and see how banning them is so backward.

Bing

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I'm afraid I'm not the guy to answer questions about this fish. I think Rainman raised a different type of tilapia, perhaps they were "blue". I had a very, very brief telephone conversation with an Illinois Conservation agent who told me in no uncertain terms that if I stocked them and the state found out they would either drain my pond or poison all of the fish. Since that time I have not openly considered stocking them. Interesting alternative SSS theory tho. The reason the conversation was so brief was because I don't think he reacted too well when I called the Illinois policy backward, stupid, uneducated, or something slightly less flattering.

Bing

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use