Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 650 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Lunker
Lunker
I have had similar looking films here (in the warm months) without ill effects. IIRC stuff that like has been identified as "organic proteins" or some such. I have always figured mine were the result of some (small floating) algae growth.

Sorry to see the CC pond basically gone, but you are right to use the silver lining and plan some remedial dirtwork. Those pics really demonstrate how far it is between Ohio and South TX - everything up here is soaking wet and freezing today.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I agree with Theo. Sorry about the pond.

D
davatsa Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
We never dreamed the CC pond would go dry, but we also never thought we'd see a drought this bad. Most of the area ponds are dry. We created the LMB pond 18' deep (max) and the crappie pond 23' deep (max) so this won't happen to them. We're about 9' low on the ponds.

With the water out of our way, we figured now would be a great time to add more shoreline structure to the LMB pond. We do not have enough yoy BG based on Todd's electrofishing survey even though there are plenty of larger ones. The pond is so low that there is no shoreline vegetation or structure for them to survive. We added even more structure now so that when (if?) we ever get rain, there will be plenty of cover.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ditto the pondal condolences, Dave. Never say never, eh?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
You have some really good sized bass in your pond what did Todd think think the growth rate was. Sorry about the drought I can really understand that part. I think everyone in Texas needs rain.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Are you going to stock more of the forage base after the report?

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Yes. GS fry and lots of Talapia. This is provided we get rain. Probably give BGs time and see what they do. I am convienced the Talapia take alot of pressure off them. May do a purge of Fhs. I like to add 100-120 lbs. a couple times a year. Fun to watch.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow, sorry to see that. You guys must be near Heybud?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
davatsa Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Actually, Heybud is over 250 miles away from us (he's pretty much due north).

Texas is just that dry throughout most of the state. It really is getting critical down here. Many ponds in our area are dry. Livestock and wildlife are losing places to water. Forget crops...those have been long gone.

I take back everything bad I said about alligator gar and carp washing into the ponds when the creek runs. Without the creek running, two of our ponds won't get water. We need the water--we'll take whatever else washes in.

P.S.- Theo and ewest, thanks for the help re: the filmy substance in the crappie pond. The fish seemed to be doing fine, but the surface of the pond on the wind-driven side is unsightly. We'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it will clear on its own.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Can you drill a water well? I thougt the water table was shallow where you are.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
James around 900' to do any good. (supplement a pond). I flipped a coin last year for a well or high fence and wish now I had drilled. For an irrigation well, diesel motor and pump to the 'Carrizo' water (much more than 900')... around $120k turn key. The shallow water is almost dry and can pump 6-8 gal a minute max.

Last edited by ahvatsa; 01/11/09 09:14 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My water holes also look real sick. My main one near the house is 7 ft low and the one acre has now become about .4 acre. It still has about 7 ft of water in the bowl. Still have BG, LMB and CC but spawns just don't have a prayer in a bowl.

My other one acre pond is shallow. It is down about 4 ft with about 18 inches left to go. I doubt that there is much left alive in it. Nothing comes to pellets. It is now about 1/2 acre.

Pondmeistering is impossible under these conditions. I kinda live vicariously thru you guys and keep switching between looking in my rear view mirror and scanning the sky for clouds.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Pondmeistering is impossible under these conditions. I kinda live vicariously thru you guys and keep switching between looking in my rear view mirror and scanning the sky for clouds.

We see it a little differently, Dave. We see it more as you breathing life into our projects. Many of the advances we have made have come from your boost. It bums us when it ain't workin' well for you.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I've not seen this type of filmy stuff before. Maybe Ewest can dig something up for us.....

It's ALL about the fish!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Maybe it's oil and with the money from it you can drill a well to china.

L
Fingerling
Fingerling
L
Hi everyone! I would like to introduce myself as ahvatsa's daughter and davatsa's sister. My husband and I moved out near my dad's place 3 years ago to establish local relations. (In reality, dad said we should stick to the old testament ways, in which case my husband owes him 700 days of labor for my hand in marriage). I am obviously new to the posing thing, but with the bar coming up next week, (good luck bro, I KNOW you will do well) I wanted to give it a shot!

Dad (ahvatsa) finally took the “bull by the horns.” The bull being the South Texas Drought and the outcome is a well to show the drought who's boss! The well started pumping on Easter weekend. We ran a 2”PVC line from the hill (where the pump is located) down to the ponds. The main line runs into the LMB pond with a split off to the Crappie Pond. Dad was prepared (or preparing himself) to drill 700+ feet after talking to neighboring well owners. However, around 300’, it was producing 90 gpm! Within a few weeks there was a considerable increase in volume; that made dad VERY happy!

Big Lake:

Crappie Pond:

The water is clean with the high sulfate content being the only slight abnormality. Todd Overton supplied us with a fresh stock of tilapia and threadfin shad in both ponds as well as some Florida LMB.

Since dad’s passing, the feeders haven’t been kept full like usual as we try to figure things out. The fish seem to think they are hungry even though in reality, they have a great habitat (for now). Last weekend, we took a 3 year old fishing for bluegill. We were using a Spider Man rod and reel with a perch hook, worm pieces and small bobber. Within seconds, we had a 3 pound LMB. The next few casts brought up our vast variety of Overton’s Tilapia. In disbelief, and in an hours time, we caught 15 tilapia on night crawlers! The Spider Man reel was singing…

Tilapia on a worm:

The 3 year old:

The overworked guide of the 3 year old/ the Spiderman rod and reel:

LMB:

Tilapia:

The Catfish Pond is still as dry as a bone. However, we have tried to take advantage of the exposed bottom by improving the layout and structure placement.

We plan to keep our pond journey updated here in effort to give back a fraction of what we have taken away form this forum and wonderful family!

"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hi levkatsa,
So very glad to have ya aboard. I knew your post would be special, but my heart skipped a beat when I got to the pic of the big pond. That was the pond that your Dad was working on when I came on board with the PB family. It all clicked and assured me that my good friend Al was surely looking down and smiling.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We all miss Big Al and are glad to have another stand in. Heck, he is impossible to replace.

I look at new members daily and had a pretty good idea who you were. Your Dad told me that he was very proud of you and Dave.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 07/24/09 10:28 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
levkatsa, it is a great pleasure to have you post and to get to meet you, virtually at least.

If I am correct on identification, you fishing guide looks much happier when not carrying around a log chain.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Welcome levkatsa!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

L
Fingerling
Fingerling
L
I guess you'd be correct! But dad always taught us, you have to put in the work to truly enjoy the benefit! I'd say we all appreciate the great things in life more because of him!

I have had a request to post my name, and while I'm not much in the market for online personal ads, her it goes... "My name is Lisa and I enjoy long walks by ponds (with my husband Jason, of course!). That's Jason with the chain and Spider Man!

"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Welcome aboard Lisa!

Needless to say, we are all very saddened at Al's passing.

He means a lot to so many of us.

He had personally told me, many times, about his life, and how proud he was of you and David.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Lisa,

It's very nice to see those ponds full of water, and it makes me happy to know that you are enjoying the resource.

It was a pleasure to meet you and Jason this spring. I hope you will continue to enjoy these ponds and I will do whatever I can to help you all keep them up to par. Al would be proud of that catch!!

Take care!

It's ALL about the fish!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to posting Lisa. We miss Al a lot but are cheered by the knowledge that his family and ponds will continue to grace our presence. We spent many hours talking about the plans he had both for his ponds and children. I reminded him often of how proud he should be of all of you. His idea that putting in the work leads to good results is proven beyond any doubt by his children and ponds. Of course , by the grace of God, he had good land and children to work with. Good job Lisa on your first posting and on the family and ponds - Al I know you are watching - well done friend , well done indeed.

Last edited by ewest; 07/24/09 01:01 PM.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails