Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#142752 12/29/08 05:34 PM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Thought I would start here for advice. I just bought a 2005 L3710 Kubota tractor. Who here might help me out. Either let me know answers or where I might find them. thanks
email greg@lakework.com if you like

where can I get a manual?
Does most any front end loader work if retrofitted?
New ones are expesnive where can I find used loader?
What "Bush Hog" would you suggest I have always used 5' model but any good used one work if blades are sharp?
What maintainence is most important?
Do I need disk or harrow for food plot prep?
What other attachements would you suggest?
Augers work well?, what size for planting small sawtooth oaks, fruit trees?
What size disk for plowing up .5-5 acre food plots, need rake also, again any good websites to start looking for used attachements?

ok enough for now, just excited since first tractor purchase. Just gave Wyatt a ride he loved it. We will use the loader for lime, etc so company write off. ALso plan on using on KL land and side work on clients ponds as needed. Great deal $9500 and only 130 hours.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Greg, I am also a newbie tractor owner bought in anticipation of our small pond and a deal we could not pass up. I think that Eddie Walker is very knowledgeable - maybe drop him a line. Also check out http://www.tractorbynet.com. They have a lot of 'experts' on their discussion boards and lots you can search. I am sure you will find lots of help on here, too.

I got my technical manual off of ebay for $5.00 - you can get tech manuals and owner's manuals pretty readily for the green tractors, anyway. Best of luck. Be careful.

Victor #142766 12/29/08 07:53 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Greg I have a kubota and absolutely love it. I would reccomend that anyone that owns a tractor that is parked outside to try and keep the rats and mice out of it. For some reason they love to eat the wires and build nests under the hood. I like to keep bait boxes all around. I had a mouse that built a nest under the hood catch the tractor on fire and cause considerable damage. I got in the habit of always checking under the hood after that happened and last spring lifted up the hood and there was a nest bigger than anything I had ever seen. I was like what the heck! I put some gloves on and started pulling out wads of grass and straw when out jumped a big squirrel. It scared the crap out of me. I spent an hour pulling that stuff out including some baby squirrels. Lift the hood and check the oil and the hydraulic levels and change the oil every 100 hours. Good luck finding a used loader they are hard to find. I would stick with the same brand loader that the tractor is because the tractor will be rated for a certain loader size. The mower requires a lot of power and so be careful about getting one bigger than the tractor is rated for. The bush hog brand is excellent and so is rhino. Don't forget to keep grease in the gear drive on the mower.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Greg,

The website posted by Victor is a good one. You might also try http://www.tractorhouse.com I got rid of my International 484 last year and got a NH TC33D. I love it. When getting a loader, it might be worth it to get one that is easily removable and has quick exchange features on the business end. For instance, I can drop my bucket and pick up my pallet forks very quickly. This system is very similar to what you might find on a skid steer (e.g. bobcat).

There are lots of brands of "bush hogs" on the market. Make sure you look at the gear case and make sure it is heavy duty. Go to a dealer that has multiple brands and this feature will be obvious. Remember, if you buy quality, you'll only cry once.

I got a back-hoe attachment and have had a lot of fun with it and even made some money digging footers. I personally don't like power take-off driven augers ever since using hydraulic driven systems with reverse and pin-point accuracy but it beats using the alternative- manpower.

A great attachment to have around the farm is a box scraper. Works great to level out ruts, smooth over gravel, etc.

Wait until you see the cost associated with buying filters and fluids!!! I'm glad you're looking for a manual. They are priceless.

Unlike a 4-wheeler or car, make sure you don't run out of fuel. you'll only make that mistake once. Just make sure you always have some extra diesel with you and don't let the tractor run out before you add more.

Just be careful. I can tell you more stories than I care to about folks around here having horrible accidents. Just on Christmas Day, a friend of a friend (you know Paul) was pulling a log out of ditch. The tractor flipped over backwards....game over. In Sept, just 3 miles away from my farm a 4 year old boy got both his legs chopped off by a bush hog while riding with his grandparent. I'm not trying to discourage you, but be careful.

I'll check with some friends that have Kubotas to see if they have any resources worth passing on to you. I know this, everyone I know with a Kubota absolutely loves it.

Lastly, don't forget to check http://www.craigslist.com for used tractor implements. I've seen some awesome deals on that site.

If you get in a bind, give me a call. My employee Steve is a tractor genuis and he can talk you through anything. His blood pumps JD green but he'll help out a brother with orange.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
What HP is the 3710? Is it a 4wd? Loaders are tough to use with 2wd. Diesel or gas? Do you have the needed hydraulics for a loader?

If diesel, make sure that you blow out the air cleaner filter(s) every 10 hours.

Either get the fluid put in the rear tires or get a lot of life insurance.

Yep, Tractorbynet can answer just about all of your questions about the loader.

I just tore up my mower. It is a Hico and I found out that they were junk.

The most important maintenance is a grease gun. Make sure you grease it every 10 hours. Get some extra grease zerts. You will need them.

Make sure that you have fluid put in the rear tires.

Get a disk AND a chisel. You will also need, maybe not immediately, a box blade with rippers.

You will also need a 16 ft, tandem axle trailer, to haul it around. Make sure it has loading ramps or get a welder to build some for you.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
4WD makes a front end loader about 20 times more useful. ALWAYS keep the bucket low to the ground when loaded. Raise/lower it slowly when loaded, especially while moving. The first time you get the tractor rocking, you will understand why.

If 4WD, load all four tires with calcium chloride solution. If I were loading tires on a tractor for the first time, I think I would pay extra to be sure they had tubes in them, on the assumption that the rims would last longer this way. I will be getting a new set of rear rims on a couple of loaded tire tractors without tubes some ("Surprise!") time in the future and am not looking forward to it.

Grease all tractor and implement fittings for every major use occurrence. In the Summer I grease everything once per hayfield; since I started this, I have not had to rebuild any shafts with universal joints (a pain to fix and dangerous when they break in use).

NO RIDERS WHEN YOU ARE WORKING! You don't need to concentrate on a rider when you are bush hogging, plowing, etc. - you need to concentrate on the job at hand.

If you will be mowing rough, unimproved fields, strongly consider a mower (bush hog) with a "stump jumper". This is a big, round-bottomed center hub that the blades attach to. When you drive over a stump/big rock while mowing, the blades will flod out of the way and then the stump jumper lifts the mower up over the obstruction. You and the tractor get all shaken up (Fish Wife missed an earthquake while bush hogging once because she thought she had just mowed over a stump), but the obstacle DOES NOT stop everything abruptly (and break something).

If you have a gravel driveway, and box blade with ripper teeth is wonderful for maintenance. You can tear up and smooth the hole surface down for a few inches, eliminating potholes, washouts, and other problems. Since we got a box blade, our need to get new gravel has dropped to about 1/3 what is was before - we just re-dress the gravel a couple of times a year instead. Box blades are also great for fields, new lawns, riding arenas, and presumably ball fields and other places.

When something goes wrong in use, stop everything, lock the brakes, and wait for all parts to stop moving before investigating and attempting corrections. Don't let the tractor have a chance to roll over you, don't let attachments have a chance to grab you. Moving PTO shafts are extremely dangerous, especially if you have any loose clothing.

Wear long pants and boots while bush hogging. Your legs and ankles will thank you when a rock or a heavy stick is thrown forward into them by the mower. (It actually feels like pain rather than thanks, but they won't bleed or break nearly as often with protective clothing rather than bare skin receiving the impact.)

Hearing protectors!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Greg,IMHO

1)You just cant be careful enough on a tractor.After you get one end off the ground while working,you will realize this even before the "pucker" effect has passed on(sometimes the "pucker effect" has a tendancy to leave brown stais too!)
2) Learn to love your greasegun.An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.Buy GOOD grease.Cheap grease isnt worth taking the time to use it.
3) Mind your maintenance,keeping it serviced saves a lot of repairs,and trust me,"they aint cheap Bubba".
4) If you have a day to waste,run out of fuel,thats always good for a wasted day.
5)Dont operate with low tires,thats a good way to roll it over.
Now go grease your tractor,ck the fluids and have a nice safe day.
By the way,does it have a beerholder?I had to bolt a piece of 4" pcv pipe on mine.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Greg - I second the recomendation to spend some time at Tractorbynet. You should be able to get all your answers over there. I spent quite a bit of time at TBN before making purchases of all our equipment(tractors and attachments).

I bought my service manuals from Carver Equipment a few years back.

I'm using 3 Kubotas a L3830, a BX22 and a BX1800 at my place and my parent's place. Went with Kubota loaders/backhoe because they match....not just fit . The attachments I'm content with are box blade, landscape rake, rotary cutter, rototiller, pallet forks and rear grader blade. I went with Rhino brand equipment with the exception of the rototiller being a Howard. I found Rhino and Howard are a little more expensive than most of the common brand names but their specs and resulting durability justified the additional cost for me.

You should be good to go with the Kubota.....I looked at all the colors without any bias and Kubota just fit. I haven't looked back!!

Chuck

ETA: As Tom mentioned......Grease should become your and your tractor's best friend

Last edited by ChuckC; 12/30/08 09:00 AM.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

If 4WD, load all four tires with calcium chloride solution. If I were loading tires on a tractor for the first time, I think I would pay extra to be sure they had tubes in them, on the assumption that the rims would last longer this way. I will be getting a new set of rear rims on a couple of loaded tire tractors without tubes some ("Surprise!") time in the future and am not looking forward to it.

I really agree on getting tubes in tires. However, even if you do, I'd suggest using something other than calcium chloride. It is quite corrosive. I've got RimGuard in mine. It is made from beets. In my last tractor, the tires were filled with automotive window washer cleaner (winter version). Some people use RV/Boat antifreeze -- don't use automotive anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) in case you puncture a tire. It can poison a well, or your animals. Some dealers also have some safe propylene glycol mixes.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I don't know anything about tractors so I'll offer no advice here.

I will say this however, using beets to fill tractor rims is one of the best use of beets that I've ever heard of. Now if we can only find an alternative use of brussel sprouts.

Oh and congratulations Greg!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Man where do I start you guys are great.Thanks so much for taking the time in helping me out. I will be safe and respect this machine. I have a skid steer (‘83 New Holland) and when picking up big stumps and slamming them to ground to get dirt off flipped it ‘bout soiled myself. Lesson learned about safety.

I will make sure to get good grease and do that regurally. I will change oil and blow out air filter. We ran out of diesel yesterday when picking it up. I had to bleed the lines going into spark plugs. Nice start to getting it. I have a duel axle trailer and it worked but would not use it for long distance. L3710 is older version of the 3830 so chuck basically same tractor. Dave it is 37 HP, diesel and will run a loader.
Thanks for websites. Thanks for attachment advice. I will take the time to get quality attachments. I do plan on used vs. new. Still curious your thoughts on what size harrows, chisel, disk for breaking ground on 0.5 to 5 acre food plots?
Also I do not get it on fluid in tires? What is that for? James had mice under my 4 wheeler seat cut wires so thanks I will be on lookout for that. I only drove Wyatt on driveway did not get over 5 mph and he will not be with me on working assignments, thanks for advice. Shawn is Paul ok on roll over?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Thanks for attachment advice. I will take the time to get quality attachments. I do plan on used vs. new. Still curious your thoughts on what size harrows, chisel, disk for breaking ground on 0.5 to 5 acre food plots?

Also I do not get it on fluid in tires? What is that for?

Greg,

A while back we had another thread that had quite a bit of good tractor info:

Tractor Poll

As for the liquid in the tires, it adds a lot of stability and assists with traction. If you've got a loader on a tractor, it really helps with keeping the back end on the ground, even if you have a good sized implement or counterweight on the 3-point hitch.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
thanks Ken I had not noticed the old thread. I got some reading to do. Ok I get it its for weight I had no idea.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Greg, you've gotten a lot of good advice here. The plow & harrow questions depend on whether they are 3-point or draw type. Personally I like draw type. You can pull wider equip than you can lift. Generally, one shank on plow per 10 HP, so for yours a 3 shank plow. The harrow I would say a 5-8' depending on hook up. Same on the mower specs. The advantage of a 3-point mower is you can turn sharper & go around trees easier & go across small creeks etc that you can't with a pull type. A pull type will allow you to mow with a wider mower & they do a better job of cutting.

david u #142854 12/30/08 03:39 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Cat:

Calcium Chloride solution is indeed a corrosive PITA.

JHAP:

If I loaded them with bacon grease, would you be a tire biter?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
thanks david I have some homework don't even know diff in pull or 3 point. Theo yes I think Jeff would be tire biter then.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Greg, one other thing. You mentioned food plots. If you believe you will be doing this season after season or possibly planting grass seed with any regularity, then a cultipacker would be a good piece of equipment to buy. I bought mine used at auction for $1000.00 in real good shape. Suggest you not buy a USED front end loader! Replacing the hydraulic cylinders is very expensive. If the rod is bent just a little or nicked up then they can't be fixed with new seals.

david u #142864 12/30/08 05:25 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Watch out for soft dirt.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Chris I will not try to repeat. I will be doign food plots txice per year in each plot. I have a cultipacker on my 4 wheeler already. I hope to actually plant up to 10 acres in soybeans or corn but still working on local farmer doing this as coop.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Kubotas are awesome tractors. I have a 4wd 47hp one with FEL myself. Great tractor.

You've already gotten some fantastic advice, so no need to repeat it. However, I'll add one extra thing. NEVER EVER leave the keys in it, no matter what. Even if you are going to come right back to the tractor. Kids (and even some adults) have an overpowering curiosity with tractors and can quickly get into trouble, hurt or even killed in mere seconds. They are great tools in the right hands and deadly in the wrong ones.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Weissguy #142884 12/30/08 07:16 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Greg,

This thread may also have a few good tidbits on what implements you might want. My dad has a Kubota and absolutely LOVES it.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=97624&fpart=1

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
davatsa #142915 12/30/08 10:42 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Greg, my JD is a 39HP diesel 4wd. I am comfortable with 6 ft. equipment.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
LOL, I like JHAP's sentiments regarding the beets.

My tractor used to run out of fuel every time I cut it off if it sat over night. Got pretty good at bleeding everything to get it started. I guess I finally found the leak that was causing the problem.
Greg since you'll be using it alot around ponds, watch out for muskrat dens or any hidden low place in dense cover especially with a load in the bucket. Try not to drive horizontal too close to the water or on too steep a grade. Approach the grade or water perpendicular. That way if something caves in you'll just get stuck which is much better than having a tractor on top of you esp. under water. When things go haywire on a tractor it usually happens fast.

The 2 most important items for food plots is a sprayer (easy to build yourself) & a seed drill. With those you can eliminate all the plowing & disking & have great food plots even on the side of a hill without erosion.

Last edited by Ric Swaim; 12/31/08 09:26 AM.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
You should never play around with bacon or bacon grease, that's how people get hurt. Besides what's so unusual about biting the tires. Heck my dad taught me from a young age, son, he said, when your're buying a used car, always check under the hood and bite the tires.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
The only advice I can give is to get 4wd. I have a 60hp 2wd that cant dig with the FEL as well as my neighbors 25hp 4wd. Mine moves dirt fine but sucks at digging. My next tractor will be in the 45hp range with 4wd and some type of shuttle shift.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??