Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 819 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128520 08/08/08 01:21 PM
T
tgello Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
i was wondering if others have that same sick feeling when shopping for windmills as they do when shopping for a new vehicle? i have called and emailed most all the "major players" and get a different story each time. they are very evasive to answering your questions and tell you just enough. one co. i spoke with this morning blew me away by answering my questions to the fullest. no bull or smoke and mirrors. his name was mike from (website deleted by Bob Lusk). and to top it off he sells the windmill brand that i had chosen to buy. his prices were actually cheaper than the factory. go figure. anyway, upon finishing this little rant i will be calling mike and ordering a 20' windmill. upon receipt and installation i will post my thought on the quality and customer service provided to me..thank you

Bob Lusk here....I deleted the website listing because I don't know this company. Pond Boss is picky about our advertisers and solicitors. We have several reputable windmill aeration companies whom I personally know the people who own, sell or run them. I trust them. I don't know this company. If you wish, have them get in touch with me through the contact information on the website.
Since you just registered yesterday and this is your first post, I think it wise to read and understand the rules of the forum. The main mission of the forum is to exchange ideas and teach landowners how to be better stewards of their land and water. For that, we appreciate your comments. At the same time, I am picky about solicitations. If I don't know the company and approve of them, I proceed with caution. We have paying advertisers who we have built relationships with. I trust them.
Both Outdoor Water Solutions and Koenders are long time supporters of Pond Boss and both are producers of excellent equipment. If this company wishes to build a relationship, we would honor and respect that attempt. Thanks for understanding our position. And, thanks for posting on the Pond Boss website forum.

Last edited by Bob Lusk; 08/09/08 09:15 AM. Reason: I don't allow solicitations for sales until I know the seller and they understand our selection process
tgello #128527 08/08/08 02:21 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Welcome tgello, I hope you do keep us updated. I too am intrested in a windmill system. Glad you found one you like.

Get out and fish.
jakeb #128541 08/08/08 03:53 PM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Just a question of how much wind do you get at your site I am not knocking windmills but have several customers that have installed them and not one that has returned the investment to the customer.
If you are going to invest $2000.00 why not spend the additional cost of electric[ $40.00 per month] for a system that works 24/7. If electric is at your site you can deliver over a mile easily air to your pond. If a stream water powered pump or solar if depth is not greater than 12 foot.
Good luck

Scott Trava
Catskill Pond
http://catskillpond.com
scott@catskillpond.com
Returning Catskill Waters To A Simpler Time
EST. 1923
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Very interesting, Scott! Thanks for posting.

The going rate, I think, is $5,000 per windmill per year from the commercial wind farms around here. I wondered whether that was a reasonable price to provide access. Of course, 1) those commercial windmills are BIG, and 2) the wind blows "once in a while" in South Dakota. \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
tgello #128641 08/09/08 07:59 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: tgello
i was wondering if others have that same sick feeling when shopping for windmills as they do when shopping for a new vehicle? i have called and emailed most all the "major players" and get a different story each time. they are very evasive to answering your questions and tell you just enough. one co. i spoke with this morning blew me away by answering my questions to the fullest. no bull or smoke and mirrors. his name was mike from (website deleted by Lusk) . and to top it off he sells the windmill brand that i had chosen to buy. his prices were actually cheaper than the factory. go figure. anyway, upon finishing this little rant i will be calling mike and ordering a 20' windmill. upon receipt and installation i will post my thought on the quality and customer service provided to me..thank you

There was a windmill at the PB conf. that comes with a generator on the shaft for charging a battery. I believe it as Koenders?sp.
I'm sure they all will be coming with that option soon. I have often wondered why it has taken so long for this idea.

Last edited by Bob Lusk; 08/09/08 09:55 AM.

T
tgello Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
we get a decent amount of wind where we are located. as for the electric set ups , i did not want to be dependent on the electric co. i will post about it once it is up and running. i will try to keep some type of log as to how much wind we receive and how the wind mill reacts . a quick note to my reference as to (website deleted by Lusk) being cheaper than the factory was misleading. his price for the windmill was the same. it was the misc. items that were quite a bit cheaper along with shipping. i did order a set up on fri. mike was professional . there was no pressure to buy anything other than i needed. i can't wait to get the windmill and set it up....

Last edited by Bob Lusk; 08/09/08 09:54 AM.
tgello #128663 08/09/08 10:23 AM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
tgello - If you plan to keep a log as to how much wind you receive I suggest that you purchase one of those hand held wind meters. They are fairly economical. I got mine on ebay. The wind speeds on your property and at windmill height can be a lot different than that measured at the local weather station.

Advice, if you are using the mill for aeration keep an eye on the clogging of the diffuser and check valves. They are the weak links in windmill efficiency and operation. I suggest check them annually.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/09/08 10:26 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
tgello Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
bill cody,thanks. i planned on purchasing one. what is the deal with the strict sensorship? i mentioned where i bought my windmill by web site and they removed it. i am not a payed solicitor , just stating my opinion. it is too bad that $$$$ overshadows honesty! the owner "mike" from morganwinds was a great guy and you would think that your forum would be happy to have people hear some positive feedback especially in these hard economic times. i am sorry if i offended any of your paying customers. it was not intended. maybe if there wasn't so much deception out there it wouldn't have been a problem....good day.

tgello #128705 08/09/08 03:40 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: tgello
i am not a payed solicitor , just stating my opinion. it is too bad that $$$$ overshadows honesty! the owner "mike" from morganwinds was a great guy..

Do you honestly think "mike" wants you to come on the most respected pond forum in the world and call all of his competitors scam artists? Including valued advertisers on Pond Boss magazine?

I think you're absolutely ruining any chance Mr. Kispert has to make inroads into this particular group of potential clients.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Tgello, I think you are missing the point entirely. On your very first post to the site you rave about a windmill vendor. We don't know who you are (incomplete profile) or whether or not you are in any way affiliated with the vendor. Included in the post is a link to a vendor's website which is in violation of the forum's posting rules. Then Bob Lusk (who just in case you don't know owns this site) edits the web page out of your post.

You then post ANOTHER post that includes the website link (AGAIN) after the first post had been edited. So the second link had to be edited out.

Your wisecrack about dollars overshadowing honesty is unfounded and uncalled for. This forum is very careful about who they let become sponsors. Had you bothered to read Bob Lusk's reason for editing you, or had you been active on the forum for any length of time you would have determined that on your own.

Also had you bothered to participate in the forum for any length of time you would have also determined that this forum is actually very lenient in it's moderation so your strict censorship crack is also not appreciated.

I am not a moderator just a forum member. One that appreciates this site. If you would have taken the time to review the forum rules (or just simply have read Bob Lusk's edit explanation) and follow these meager rules then I think you would have found this site a blessing. Free access to some of the nations best known pond experts (including Bob Lusk).

If you choose to follow the rules I am sure you will be welcomed back with open arms (inspite of beginning your forum membership with criticizing this site). If you chose not to follow the rules then it is not good day, it is good riddance.

But that's just this members perspective.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Very good job JHAP. Anytime someone comes on and in there first post is selling something such as this thread and is also criticizing other vendors (Pond Boss advertisers or not)it raises concerns about impartiality and truthfulness. Direct personal attacks are not allowed here and neither is direct selling. Prior to criticizing someone or some product great forethought and private confirmation should be undertaken first. Even then anyone undertaking such efforts should first be real sure they are right and be ready to defend your position.

This site has been scammed by people coming on and saying here is a great product and posting a web site. When we check it is a company rep who will not reply to requests to stop or explain. When that happens and we post the situation that company has severely harmed its reputation and any possible sales to this audience.

ewest #128733 08/09/08 07:37 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Unfortunately, now "morganwinds" name is mud. If indeed "tgello" doesn't represent them in any way, they should be very upset. If a representative for morganwinds were to come on this forum, and properly present their product in a respectful way, and not slam other vendors, then I think some of this harm could be repaired. One thing about this forum that has been consistent since the day I joined is that the people who represent a product have always first and foremost been here to help the forum members with information and assistance instead of trying to ram a product down their throat. I think Ted Lea is a really good example of this. He is always willing to assist others with excellent unbiased information, but if they are a potential customer he keeps that behind the scenes. People like Ted are a fantastic resource for the users of this site. There's nothing wrong with trying to make a profit. There just happens to be a "right" and a "wrong" way to go about it.

Heck, look at Bill Cody. The guy knows more about pond water and pond mud and pond organisms than anybody in the world. I'm not kidding--he's probably the world's foremost authority. Who else would it be? But do you ever see the guy trying to tell people that they should send him money for water testing? No. He just helps and helps and helps and helps...But his reputation grows, and those of us who may need his service sometime, or may know somebody who needs his service know exactly where to go if something needs tested. If anything, Bill goes out of his way to NOT let people know what he does. He's probably passed up the potential to make tens of thousands of dollars, but his integrity is absolutely spotless. Most of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Cheers to people like Bill and Ted. ;\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Ewest
Very good job JHAP. Your genuis has shown through in this post and I think you should be nomitated for the Nobel Peace Prize {ok, I admit I added that last part}

Thanks Ewest, It's good to know that every once in a while I get a post right. I think I'm up to 5 good posts now. \:D

Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Cheers to people like Bill and Ted. ;\)

And their excellent adventures (sorry, that just get's me every time).

Very true what you said Bruce. Although I personally have never had any interaction with Ted (and he's probably better for it), I have in fact spent one on one time with Bill. He was very generous with his time discussing with JWHAP and I our particular pond issues. He even gave us a suggested action plan to follow.

Plus he gave the GSA terrific exposure at the conference. That kind of publicity you just can't buy.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Tgello, I think you are missing the point entirely. On your very first post to the site you rave about a windmill vendor. We don't know who you are (incomplete profile) or whether or not you are in any way affiliated with the vendor. Included in the post is a link to a vendor's website which is in violation of the forum's posting rules. Then Bob Lusk (who just in case you don't know owns this site) edits the web page out of your post.

You then post ANOTHER post that includes the website link (AGAIN) after the first post had been edited. So the second link had to be edited out.

Your wisecrack about dollars overshadowing honesty is unfounded and uncalled for. This forum is very careful about who they let become sponsors. Had you bothered to read Bob Lusk's reason for editing you, or had you been active on the forum for any length of time you would have determined that on your own.

Also had you bothered to participate in the forum for any length of time you would have also determined that this forum is actually very lenient in it's moderation so your strict censorship crack is also not appreciated.

I am not a moderator just a forum member. One that appreciates this site. If you would have taken the time to review the forum rules (or just simply have read Bob Lusk's edit explanation) and follow these meager rules then I think you would have found this site a blessing. Free access to some of the nations best known pond experts (including Bob Lusk).

If you choose to follow the rules I am sure you will be welcomed back with open arms (inspite of beginning your forum membership with criticizing this site). If you chose not to follow the rules then it is not good day, it is good riddance.

But that's just this members perspective.

Well stated, and I belive a sentiment felt by most if not all.

Tgello,
Breath and relax. This is a great place for info and Bob Lusk runs a very congenial site. There are reasons for the few rules on here and the were cleary and politely stated.

Just my 2 cents.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Hmmmm... it's been over 3 months and no response from tgello and no apparent follow-up from the company (unless "Mike" talked to Lusk and we just don't know about it)...... interesting.....

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Weissguy #139303 11/22/08 10:57 AM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I just reread this post and missed Ewest's comment "direct pesonal attacks are not allowed here".Ive called myself(or implied it at least) a complete idiot on numerus occasions and nobody ever moderated me.I feel so left out,so unnoticed,so unloved. \:o \:\( \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

TOM G #139312 11/22/08 01:28 PM
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
I just reread this post and missed Ewest's comment "direct pesonal attacks are not allowed here".Ive called myself(or implied it at least) a complete idiot on numerus occasions and nobody ever moderated me.I feel so left out,so unnoticed,so unloved. \:o \:\( \:D

How perceptive of you. :P ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
TOM G #139316 11/22/08 02:07 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gosh Tom, we didn't want to hurt your feelings. Actually, unless you're a vendor, we try to be nice and not disagree with you. Why would we disagree with you anyway?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Don't feel so bad Tom. Heck people have been implying that I'm slightly less that sane for quite a while here on Pond Boss and they don't ever seem to get moderated. Heck I've heard it all when describing my mental status: One foot short of a full pool, one taco short of a combination plate, two species short of a stocking plan, etc, etc. And does any ever get moderated when questioning my mental acquity - NO. Sometimes I get quite angry with these unfounded classific ....wait a second, one of my other personalities keeps yelling at me, dang interlopers.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Don't feel so bad Tom. Heck people have been implying that I'm slightly less that sane for quite a while here on Pond Boss and they don't ever seem to get moderated. Heck I've heard it all when describing my mental status: One foot short of a full pool, one taco short of a combination plate, two species short of a stocking plan, etc, etc.

Two nuggets short of a happy meal, a few bricks short of a full hod, ...

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
tgello #142673 12/29/08 12:44 AM
I
Lunker
Lunker
I
got the mill up and running yet?
ive been using one for two years now
any major problems with the install?

chris garton
Wow that's all I am saying about this one!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy