Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic), 843 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#136377 10/18/08 10:27 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Just spoke with son Jeff on cell phone at deer camp and he and nephew Frank are finishing working on deer stands and blinds, cutting firewood, and general maintenace on old camphouse that my sons and I built in 1975.

About this time two weeks from this morning deer season will open, and my hunters will be strangling into camp with all sorts of stories and excuses.
Sons, grandsons, nephews, grand nephews, and maybe a couple of good friends.

They have even built a box blind for me this year - I won't shoot anything except maybe a feral hog that might wander by.
They are taking over the country.

I'm going for the fellowship, food, and stories around the campfire.

Life is good....!

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

george1 #136378 10/18/08 11:12 AM
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Sounds like a great time George with some good folks. Wish I was there to dutch oven cook for you guys, but have a group of my own that is hungry. Have a great time and take out one of those big feral hogs.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
heybud #136405 10/19/08 08:03 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Life is good George. Sounds like you are going to have a great time. Take some photos. I like to see pictures of your "old camphouse."

So you are entertaining also Heybud?

Ricki and I are leaving for Las Vegas in about 3 hours. I'll be gone until Friday. Then we're back here until the following Thursday, then we go up north to our ranch for 19 days! Then we're back here for about a week, then we spend 10 days in Pennsylvania with her folks. It's gonna be a busy month.

TAX SEASON'S OVER BAYBEEEE, JHAP IS ON THE LOOSE!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
jeffhasapond #136409 10/19/08 09:44 AM
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
JHAP & JWHAP, sounds like a fun-filled next few weeks.
Hope y'all have a great time.
Will you be able to check in with us - at least from PA?

Just do it...
rmedgar #136430 10/19/08 01:57 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
JHAPpy, don't forget...my pond is an hour from where your Bride's folks live.

No, that's not a threat.

See you soon!

I'll PM you my cell #

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #136471 10/19/08 09:38 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would rather eat the pig meat than the deer meat anyhow George.

n8ly #136487 10/20/08 06:46 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Deer season starts next Saturday afternoon for me. Texas reserves the weekend prior to opening weekend for childrens hunting. It will be my Grandsons 10th birthday and his Mom has a party scheduled for 11:00. DAMN!!!!!! So, he and I get to leave after the party and hunt that afternoon and the next day.

I really no longer get that heated up about shooting a deer but do enjoy taking him.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I'm now ready for deer season.... all the wheat has been planted, and is looking good with some of the recent rains I've had. The feeders are feeding, but the deer and pigs are on the acorns right now. The oaks are really dropping them right now, so activity at the feeders has been light. I did get a few good pics of some decent bucks....

Good hunting and fishing to all!!

GaryTexas #136686 10/21/08 09:48 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Those suckers look healthy.

I got my wheat planted and some feeders going. We got 2 different rains that totaled 6 inches. It came slow enough to help the land but I got absolutely no run off.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gary,

That last deer (pics 2 and 3) looks mature. Neck blends into shoulders like it's one big muscle, his back is starting to sway, and, well...let's just say his belly resembles DD1's belly. Definitely mature. \:\)

(Not to worry, Dave, I'm well on my way to the same look).

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
davatsa #136702 10/22/08 05:08 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, I know that you are a competent judge.
I just put out a camera a couple of weeks ago. Nothing large came around as of last Sunday. And, they were 90% nocturnal.

Interesting thing. Wife and I went up last Sunday after the Cowboys had humiliated themselves. About 6:00 I went to replace the camera. There was a doe and yearling in the area. Ok, so we left. In the 3 or 4 miles before getting to the highway, we counted 14 deer. That's an unusually large amount but we enjoyed it. I told a guy about it the next day and he looked up the solunar tables for the area. He said that was a major feeding time. I've never paid a lot of attention to those tables.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 10/22/08 05:13 AM.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I saw a real corker yesterday and the bucks are making rubs and tons of scrapes...2 cameras up and a third will be soon but insultion in cabin project is kickin my old butt! I need a powered ladder and two extra arms.

davatsa #136712 10/22/08 07:36 AM
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Gary,

That last deer (pics 2 and 3) looks mature. Neck blends into shoulders like it's one big muscle, his back is starting to sway, and, well...let's just say his belly resembles DD1's belly. Definitely mature. \:\)

I was going to say those would be nice looking yearlings in Ohio. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
davatsa #136713 10/22/08 07:43 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gary, It doesn't look like you have the legs on your feeder t-posted down. How do you keep the hogs from knocking over your feeder?

david u #136718 10/22/08 08:14 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
David U,

The 8 pointer is definitely mature... depending on your definition. This is the third season I have been getting pictures of him, so I'm guessing 3.5 years old. He's got a good chance of getting bigger and older... he's smart, and stays nocturnal. I've never seen him, but he is a resident deer.

In my area of north Texas, this is a good deer. Too many small tracts and indescriminate trigger pullers, so the bucks have a tough time growing 3.5 years old. That may change next year...TPWD is talking about putting in a 13" spread minimum for most north Texas counties in the 2009 hunting season. That will let the younger bucks have a chance, for sure.

The hogs knocked down 3 out of 4 feeders in one week before I learned to bury the legs in the ground. I bury them about 12 inches deep... no problems in the last two years.

Theo Gallus #136749 10/22/08 01:00 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Gary,

I was going to say those would be nice looking yearlings in Ohio. ;\)

OK,maybe everything isnt bigger in Texas after all \:\( ;\)

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

TOM G #137592 10/30/08 07:54 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Razorbacks ...
Why nowadays are they “Feral Hogs”?
I like “Razorback” terminology best .. .

Anyway they are over running the country and thwart all attempts to control ….. dogs - traps – guns…

My sons know I wouldn’t shoot a deer if it walked in front of me and have set up a pop-up blind in a baited area for me to shoot a hog.
I’m so shaky that I doubt I could hit the side of a barn door but I’ll give it a try.

george1 #137602 10/30/08 09:00 AM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have always wanted to shoot a hog with my bow, hope things work out for you George, the camp time is always worth the trip. I'm still looking for a buck but I have taken one doe with the bow already this year.

JoeG #137702 10/30/08 08:39 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Last weekend was Childrens hunting weekend in Texas. My Grandson/Pardner/Trevor turned 10 on Saturday and had a party. I wasn't there. I was too busy checking on everything to make sure hunting went well. After the party, Charlene brought him to the land. I had seen 21 deer that morning and early afternoon. He got there and about 4:30 we went out to the new stand that I had built. THE HILTON! We saw nothing that evening. Next morn, before dawn, we went over to a 9 acre wheat patch and hunkered down. After about 1.5 hours of nothing, I saw a really nice buck walking along the dam about 200 yds away. No shot presented itself so we bailed out and went after it. Trevor got his gun up once but couldn't really get a good shot. The buck went over the dam and he went after it. I followed along behind. Twice he froze and I knew he saw the deer. Then he knelt down and raised his 222. After a minute, he stood up and came back to me. He had been (in his words) eyeball to eyeball with the buck twice but it had been looking at him and he froze, When he knelt, it had gone back in the brush and didn't return. He told me that we might as well go to the house and see if Grandma was up and was ready for Breakfast. Then he said that since I hadn't come to his party that I owed him a present and WalMart wasn't too far out of the way on heading to the house. Ok, we went and I got soaked for $62.20 for some kind of game stuff. Does Bokagon sound about right? Anyway, it's the newest thing. We went hunting again that afternoon but didn't see anything. That is one more successful hunt in our rear view mirror. He fell asleep on the way back to the metromess.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
A good story from the Texas Hunting Forum. A guy there took his Grandson on a Childrens Weekend hunting trip. I think the boy was about 6. Sitting around the campfire at night with other men some stories got started. He looked at his Grandson and told him "What happens and is said at the deer lease stays at the deer lease.". A day after they got home the guys Daughter called and was laughing. She said she had asked her son about his first hunting trip. He told her "Mom, what happens at the deer lease stays at the deer lease.".

JoeG #137704 10/30/08 08:50 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No hogs here, but I was just checking out our local deer regulations.

Tomorrow (Friday) and the next day is antlerless season in our county. I figure I'll try to take one in the morning. It seems like there are always several voyeur deer outside the bathroom window when I come out of the shower. I guess I'll put my rifle just below my towel tonight.

As I looked at the regulations, if we just use rifles, my wife and I can take a total of ten deer off our property in the next eight weeks. As state residents, my son and daughter-in-law can also legally take 10 deer off our farm during this time. If we were to use archery and black powder, the number goes way up.

Geeze, maybe I could get something out of my garden, and a little fruit off my fruit trees and berry bushes next year -- if the family were to help out our friends at Hunters for the Hungry.

Good huntn'
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
catmandoo #137705 10/30/08 08:53 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good luck...I expect to see some good pics in the next few months!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman

Oh Chris,

How can you do dat? Dose are my cusins and frends!

I really wish that my Yooper relatives and friends would tone it down, but dey won't.

Dats juss plain embarreson!

Suomi Poika
(Knute/Ken/Catmandoo)

P.S. If you told them about the Second Week of Deer Camp, why didn't you tell dem the story about my "Turdy Point Buck!!!!?" Turdy Point Buck

P.S. Next -- I bet you guys tink we have akcents. We don't! You guys do!

Quote:
Second Week Of Deer Camp
Da Yoopers

ITS THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
I GOT A SWOLLEN HEAD
I'M LYING WITH THE DUST BALLS
UNDERNEATH MY BED

AN ICY BREEZE IS BLOWING IN
THROUGH THE TONGUE AND GROOVE
MY PANTS ARE FROZEN TO THE FLOOR
AND I'M TOO SICK TO MOVE

I DIDN'T DRINK TOO MANY
ONLY THIRTY CANS OF BEER
IT MUST HAVE BEEN THAT LAST SHOT
THAT PUT ME UNDER HERE

CHORUS:
IT'S THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
AND ALL THE GUYS ARE HERE
WE DRINK PLAY CARDS AND SHOOT THE BULL
BUT NEVER SHOOT NO DEER
THE ONLY TIME WE LEAVE THE CAMP
IS WHEN WE GO FOR BEER
THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
IS THE GREATEST TIME OF YEAR

I REMEMBER PLAYING POKER
THAT WEASEL MUSTA WON
HE'S WEARING MY NEW SWAMPERS
AND SLEEPING WITH MY GUN

HE'S SNORING LIKE A CHAIN SAW
THE CAMP SMELLS LIKE A DUMP
SOMEONE'S DIRTY UNDERWEAR
IS HANGING ON THE PUMP

MUKKUS IN THE WOOD BOX
EENERS PASSED OUT ON THE STOVE
HIS FLANNEL SHIRT IS SMOKING
I WONDER IF HE KNOWS

CHORUS

VITOS CRAWLING THROUGH THE DOOR
I THINK HE GOT FROSTBITE
HE PASSED OUT IN THE OUTHOUSE
AND HE'S BEEN THERE SINCE LAST NIGHT

THEN GOOFUS STUMBLES THROUGH THE DOOR
HE SAYS HE GOT A BUCK
HE WAS COMING FROM THE WAYSIDE
AND HE KILLED IT WITH HIS TRUCK

THEN MUUSTI CRACKS A BEER AND SAYS
ITS TIME TO CELEBRATE
GOOFUS GOT THE FIRST BUCK
SINCE 1968

Quote:
Da Yoopers - Da Turdy Point Buck

Let me tell you that
you no, it's not so much the heat,
as it is the gosh darn humidity.
You no when u sit there in the bed,
and your just sweaty you no?
And you just,
you go to reach for the water on the nightstand,
and you slide right out of bed
and the wife says,
"Stop making so much noise! Your waking me up, go to sleep!"
Well let me tell you,
(yeah?)
times like that,
make me think bout movin up north,
you no?
(good idea)
Ya I'd do it to.
Course then I couldn't watch the Packers.
You no the Packers are...
Cause I like the Packers.
I'd do nething for the Packers.
Who can forget Vince Lombardi, you no?
Back in the glory years?
Not me, boy.
Yeah nehow.
Gettin to be that time of year,
eh?(yeah, oh yeah)

Ya, I'm a deer hunter.
How do you do?
I got the deer huntin rep n tale for you.
I'm so excited, it's my favorite time of year.
I love to freeze my buns,
chasin trophy deer.
But don't clap your hands,
to the stompin of the feet,
because Yahey's like me,
he can't keep a steady beat.
no, m mm,

I got the great big knife,
cause the hunting is my life.
It's my chance to drink beer and get away from the wife.
It's the boys night out,
acting stupidly,
say now, "baby, baby, don't you think maybe, how 'bout u n me, ya?
haha (get away!)(ow ow ow!)

Well we partied all night,
never made it to our bunks.
And I was sittin in the tree stand,
on the tree day, drunk.
Wind was blowin 45,
temp 30 below.
I was freezin to death,
then it started to snow.
So I got out from the tree stand,
start headin for the truck,
and thats when I seen it there,
the turdy point buck.

TURDY POINT BUCK?!
turdy point buck.
turdy point buck.
(turdy point buck)

Well, he was 8 foot tall,
weighed 12,000 pounds,
with every step there was a shake,
sh-shakin of the ground.
He was ruthaful, so beautiful.
Strutted right out of my dreams,
he was created by God,
just for outdoor magazines.

Now, I'm not much for thinkin,
no, I dont do it often,
but I had an idea.
(yeah, what was that?)
To put that turdy pointer,
right in his coffin, ya.
(turdy piont buck)

Couldn't get to my gernades,
(yeah rite)
the was in the shop,
my stomach was tied into a monkey knot.
Ya, my only hope was Betty Lou,
she was the one,
a combination AK 57 oozie radar laser triple-barrel double-scoped hit-seekin shotgun.
(turdy point buck)

Ya, the women clappin in the back there, I gotta make that.
Well he was comin toward me,
gettin bigger n bigger,
but my fingers were so frozen,
I couldn't pull the trigger.
I kicked off my boots,
fired with my big toe,
I was Dirty Harry, John Wayne, n G.I. Joe.

Ya, that turdy point buck,
was only 10 feet away, ya,
still I coudln't seem to hit him,
and he wouldnt run away.
And after 20 minutes,
when the smoke cleared,
there were hunters on the ground,
and the worlds biggest dear.
There, standin tall n proud,
he looked at me and yawned,
and then a flash of white,
n there he was...gone.
(oh its alrite clyde, dont worry about it)

Then 7 men got up,
n the one fell down.
A big lump of blaze orange,
shakin on the ground.
At first I thought he was one of the boys,
but it was that no brother good in law of mine,
from Illinois.
(only cheeseheads, send him back on the next plane)

Did ya see the turdy pointer?
Did ya see the turdy pionter?

As we jumped into the truck,
and I'm gonna get that
turdy point buck.
Ya, I'm gonna get that turdy point buck.
I'm gonna get that turdy point buck.
(turdy point buck)
(Hey, there he goes! There he goes!)
I'm gonna get that turdy point buck.
(Come on guys! Lets go get him!)
Ya, I'm gonna get that turdy piont buck.
(Hey grab your gun man! I got my beer, and I got that hit-seeker)
If it's the last thing I do,
I'm gonna get that turdy point, turdy point buck.
Haha
(tury point buck)

catmandoo #137941 11/03/08 11:26 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
This is what it's all about ....

Friday night sat in a pop-up blind at feeder hoping for a hog.
Nice buck walked within 25 ft of me and ambled to feeder and circled feeder couple of times eating, and spotted me in the blind. We had a staring contest and deer finally ambled into the brush.
Must have known deer season not to start until next morning.

Next morning same thing but a yearling buck - he knew he was safe with me. Enjoyed watching the sun come up and the woods come alive.
Still no hogs - they were all down in the bottom rooting up the pasture.

Great weekend - no deer taken - sons all experienced hunters and they have a "ten point" rule - lots of deer seen.
"Thirteen Inch" rule aplies to grandsons and grand nephews when it's their week to hunt.

Lots of food and fellowships and one on one time with my sons.

Here's a photo of "pre-installed" retro-fitted Out House - talk about upscale ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images