Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,008
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
10 members (Sunil, bmicek, Don Kennedy, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, Rick O, SetterGuy, Dave Davidson1, catscratch, Boondoggle), 1,026 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Lunker
Lunker
Cecil is the man! Keeps the PDF in check.

Leband lang, und prosper

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Lunker
Lunker
Whoops, that should have been PBF.
Monday is cocktail time!

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...too many PBR's

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Cecil, I don't know if this will help at all, but I'm going to try anyway. I waited too long for my golden retriever, Mandy. I still have tough feelings about making her suffer longer than she should have. On my next challenge, I have promised myself to do better.

Good point Dave. If she appears to be suffering and there is nothing that can be done I will do the right thing. But as of now she doesn't appear to be suffering, and she's such a tough dog the fall down the carpeted stairs didn't even phase her. I took in a urine sample this morning for an "ERD" whatever that is. I do know the kidney deterioration can be managed with a low protein high quality protein diet and a few other things if it hasn't progressed to far, so if she's not suffering maybe we can enjoy our time together a little longer.

At this point I don't have enough info and it could be an infection or something. We shall see.

She's scared me a couple of other times and she pulled through like a champ. One other time the vet suspected kidney deterioration and the tests came out negative. And she stopped waking us up at 3 A.M. to go pee once the humidity levels got back up to normal in the house. My guess is she was drinking a lot of water at night because it was so dry. We have a cathedral ceiling and even with one humidifier it's not enough.

Then there was the time I thought she had a stroke as she was walking sideways, stumbling, and with her head tilted weird. Turned out to be hardened ear wax up against her eardrum that was messing with her equilibrium.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil.. for what it's worth, my practice is 100% equine, but have dogs, cats, horses, chickens, birds..you name it. The only way one never loses a pet is to never have one..I hope Sandy's condition improves..don't hesitate to get a second opinion..good veterinarians don't mind, they want the same thing as you..a successful outcome...du

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sounds like you are right on target, Cecil. Best wishes.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well today is the day I lose my best buddy. Right now at 5:38 A.M. she's laying on the floor lungs filling with fluid and bloated beyond recognition. At some point her kidneys failed as although she had drank water repeatedly during the night since 7 P.M. when she got deathly ill, there has been no urination even though I took her out several times.

What makes me mad is she's suffered terribly now for 10 hours and there wasn't a damn think I could do. Can't call a vet in the middle of the night but if she's still breathing at 8 A.M. I will try and get the vet out to put her out and stop this terrible suffering. Man life isn't fair is it? I just wish she didn't have to suffer so much.

I thought of putting a bullet between her eyes to end this terrible suffering but she knows what a gun is and is scared to death of them. And if she didn't die right away and looked at me I'd remember that look forever.

Got to get back to her and lay down next to her and put my arm around here.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/29/08 04:45 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
God bless

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks Brettski. She passed away about 5 minutes after I made the above post. I laid next to her on the floor and stroked her head and talked to her. I'm actually relieved she isn't suffering anymore. She was really suffering bad.

I'll miss you ol' girl. You were my best buddy in the shop, fishing, around the ponds -- she had to be there no matter what I was doing.

If there is a heaven and God's creatures go there too, I'll be happy to see you again!

My parents who were very attached to her will be devistated. My dad who was a Green Beret believe it or not is real softee when it comes to dogs. He stopped hunting several years ago and refuses to kill anything anymore.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/29/08 05:37 AM.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Cecil, I've been following this and have been there. This is why we have decided to not have another dog.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm feeling for you, Cecil. Remember to feel blessed that you had an opportunity to spend so much time with a great friend, though.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
My dog died in my arms last Sept. 6, '07. I'm getting tears now just thinking about it, and your loss also.

At the very least, you were there for her until the end, and you provided the good life for her.

Some tough days ahead for sure...

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I'm so sorry Cecil. My heart goes out to you! She will always be with you!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
It sure is sad to lose such a good friend. It's great that you got to have such a great companion.

GW #137475 10/29/08 07:58 AM
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I am sorry for your loss, Cecil, but glad you got to spend so many years with such a good friend.

This always helps me feel better after my eyes dry up:

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
- - - - - -Author Unknown - - - - - -

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
So sorry Cecil. Pets make a special place in your heart that lasts forever. She is gone, but will never be forgotten.

Last edited by bobad; 10/29/08 08:24 AM.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i needed to clean off my keyboard anyways, salt water works doesnt it?

sorry cecil, its never easy, but is a special part of pet ownership we all must come to grips with. somehow it makes us stronger. as bobad said, she is gone but will never be forgotten.

GSF are people too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Heartfelt condolences, Cecil.

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It is always a difficult loss to lose such a close companion.

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks everybody. Her body is in the ground and she is no longer suffering. For that I am greatful. But I miss her terribly already. Got some good memories though.

One thing I'll never forget: She loved to chase off the Great Blue Herons and bark at them as they flew off and they look back at me!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/29/08 11:13 AM.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
So sorry for your loss, Cecil. Just think of all the good times y'all had.

Just do it...
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow, having a pet die in your arms. Ricki and I can completely relate to that Cecil. You have my heartfelt condolences Cecil. Take comfort in the fact that in her last moments you were there for her.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Cecil,

I'm so sorry for your loss. The pain will pass but the great memories never will. My condolences and my best wishes that you remember how much she enriched your life. I'm sure the love was returned.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Cecil, I know its tough now, but try to remember all the good times. Best Wishes.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm sorry for your loss, Cecil. You did everything you could, and I'm confident she passed away knowing you were right there with her.

Remember all of the times she made you laugh, cry, and yes, get mad. Those feelings are what having a pet is all about.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
Concrete pond construction