Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
james, these are native to the area, so they really dont require much care at all. we had a couple scraggly old plants in this area when we moved in. all we ever did was to collect seed heads every (late) spring, spread them on ground where we wanted them, and kept the weeds away from those that sprouted the following year. you could probably get a much higher germination rate by scouring the existing soil, placing the seed, and be vigilant on keeping weeds down in the sown area. i'll try and collect some seed for you this spring and you can give them a try. if you want to try and find seeds online the genus and species is "Lupinus albifrons".

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great colors, Dave. Pretty tuff to one-up God's paint brush. I am hoping that the wet spring in the midwest gives us some decent results from our native grasses and forbes planted spring '07.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
james, a couple of the plants have seeds ready to pick, if you want pm me, gimme yer address, i'll throw some in an envelope to you.

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i managed a few poppy pics yesterday, along w/ a visit from JHAP and his wife, a nice mini pondboss meeting was had.

its so much drier than last year, mixed in are a couple other types of lupines (we have at least 6 lupine species on place).

enjoy the pics..

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
oxcellent, Dave
Pic #6 brings it together for me...or is it pic #7...?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I realllly like # 4 . Natural mix.

ewest #116894 04/27/08 05:10 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks bski and ewest, compared to last year, there are only small patches of the wildflowers to photograph and enjoy, i already hope for a wetter spring next year, and sufficient seed bank to keep it going.

JHAP started treating his elodea w/ cutrine and sonar the other day. looking forward to his report when he gets back to his puter in san diego.

GSF are people too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Nice tranquil place where it looks like all of nature is in balance. And then, right at the end, you show what looks like a big chunk of JHAPweed.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/27/08 08:12 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Nice tranquil place where it looks like all of nature is in balance. And then, right at the end, you show what looks like a big chunk of JHAPweed.

Yeah...THAT would be pic #7

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

As you can tell from the photos JHAPweed, is able to obtain and store copious amounts of nutrients from it's surroundings.

Although it can be obnoxious at times, JHAPweed is mostly a friendly plant with relatively few thorns. However as you can also tell from the photograph, the vegetation at the top of this species is rather spartan. The above photo is reflective of what happens when you over-feed JHAPweed. Currently JHAPweed is on a diet so hopefully you will see less of it in the future.

Although JHAPweed will survive in various climes and environments it seems to prefer being watered with either a nice Ale, a glass of wine, or "Captain and Coke".

There is no need to fertilize JHAPweed as is seems this species produces more than enough fertilizer on it's own.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
Just how we can get JHAPweed at our ponds? I'm sure many PMs are as interested in this as I am!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
you a funny funny man JHAP... \:D

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Theo, thanks for the kind words.

DIED, you should seen me in person after several beers or a couple bottles of wine - oh wait, you have!!!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thought i'd update the summer (habitat) conditions out here. back in june there were 100's of fires started from a dry lighting storm that covered a large portion of nor cal. while we were out of harms way, the smoke was oppressive. here's a couple shots of a sunset from my front yard:

given my adverse horticultural conditions, i can only successfully raise spiney and poisonous plants here..............sounds fun huh?....... despite the smokey conditions the datura in the front yard has been spectacular this summer:

over 30 blooms one night and morning:

on the spiney side, here's some photographic mileage from a cactus bloom up above the pond:

and here's what happens to a pond habitat in el dorado where the pond has no summer supplemental water:

for scale, there's a 10 ft jon boat at the upper end of pond to the right....

hope you enjoyed the pic show.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I did. I'm in love with your ranch.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Given the conditions Dave, your pond looks like an oasis.

Russ

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DIED outstanding pics. What is the small dark green plant in the background of cactus bloom ?

ewest #127433 08/01/08 05:42 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks guys, eric i think the plant to which you refer is the "blue" agave. its the one from which they make only the finest "to kill ya".

there is also a yucca in the bkg.

GSF are people too!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
GREAT!!! THANKS!!!!

Even in a drought the wildflowers look great.

otto #127687 08/03/08 10:49 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great Photos Dave.

Growing tequila plants eh? Hmmmm, One Tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor. (not like we don't get into enough trouble with wine and beer now you're growing your own Tequila plants?????)

I'll be up in a couple of weeks and we'll have another mini Pond Boss conference.

Oh and as an also and besides were you able to see the six acre fire off Sand Ridge road? (Note for others: Sand Ridge road is a road that is sort of between Dave's place and our place. A guy was mowing a dry field (real genius eh?) when grass built up underneath the mower and caught fire, according to the guys own words fire started in approximately 10 spots, he (in his own words) ran around the field trying to put out the fire spots but was not able to contain them, the fire ultimately burned down his house and burned six acres. The Dept of Forestry had to use both airplane and helicopter support to put out the fire).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks otto and JHAP. its so dern dry and brown here this time of year that a cactus bloom like that grabs yer attention big time....it was worth the camera time in my book.

heard about the fire, didnt see it from our hole. we've been relatively clear of fires in our immediate area this summer.........KNOCKIN ON WOOD HERE......

i think that fire near yosemite was caused by a guy target practicing, which is something we do here, but i seldom think of lead sparking or causing sparking.....guess it does depending on what it hits.....

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
going back in time a bit just to post/document some of the actual hydroseeding pics here:

shows clay patch and dozer cleats, also type of slope along top of dam...pretty dern steep, probably close to 2:1 for a short ways anyways

this guy's day job believe it or not is rodeo clown......great hydroseeder too BTW..

more cleat marks and steep slopes (although cleat marks are not the ideal direction, should be 90 degrees from this)

other areas that were done:

GSF are people too!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Looks great.

What does something like that cost?
How available is that service?
Otto

otto #132441 09/14/08 11:27 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks otto, i dont know what it'd cost in yer neck of the woods, around here bids ranged from a low of ~1000/acre to a high of ~2000 per acre.

this type of service should be available anywhere....anywhere there is road/highway improvements, commercial or large residential construction/landscaping......it is typically used for post construction erosion control and (somewhat) instant beautification.

i imagine there's alot of companies that have this service in the houston or dallas metro/suburb areas who'd be willing to mob to remote locations.

died

GSF are people too!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Thanks. That price is not bad at all.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts