Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 781 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I know what you are going to say, JHAP is making up stories again (not that there is any evidence that I would actually post a falsehood on this forum) but this is actually true:

Effective September 1st "catch and release" fishing is banned in Switzerland. In addition barbed hooks are banned. Also in order to obtain a fishing license every angler will be required to take a course on humane ways to catch fish. Any fish caught will have to be stuck on the head with a blunt object until dead.

In a sweeping animial rights bill may other laws were instituted as well (and once again I'm not making this up):

Goldfish cannot be flushed down the toilet alive. They must be killed first.

Aquariums cannot be transparent on all sides and a natural day and night light cycle must be maintained.

Any animal classified as a "social animal" will be considered the victim of abuse if it is not allowed contact with other of it's species. The term "social animimals" is very inclusive from alpacas to zebras and includes hamsters, guniea pigs, parrots, goldfish, etc.

Under the law dog owners must take a two part course on recognizing the needs of the dog, and properly walking a dog.

Farmers will not be allowed to tether horses, cows, sheep or goats. Cows and pigs cannot be kept in areas that have hard floors. Pigs now have a legal right to shower after wallowing in the mud.

The legislation even mentions the appropriate keeping of rhinoceroses, although it was not clear immediately how many, if any, were being kept as pets in Switzerland.

As a side note, I've always wanted to own a rhinoceros. I think it would be so cool to look out across the acreage and see a rhinoceros wandering about the property. Of course it could make field mowing more of a challenge. I was actually thinking of starting a new type of exotic game hunting. People could come onto my property and hunt my rhinoceros but the only weapon that they would be allowed to use would be water ballons. Water ballon launchers and sling shots would be strictly prohibited. Hunters would be required to wear orange jump suits and have bells on their shoes. I am putting together a prospectus for any interested investors.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I thought for a minute you were talking about winos and I was in, but not for rhinos so much.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hmmmm, hunting winos.

I may have to rethink my prospectus. What if I stocked Rhinos and Winos.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
People for Ethical Treatment of Alcoholics

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
People for Ethical Treatment of Alcoholics

Hmmm, that could be a problem. I might have to pitch it as a "treatment center." Sort of a scared sober approach.

This could work people.

I could call it Whinoceros World.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I've always wanted to say "Hun, I'll be out on the lower 40 today fixing the Rhinoceros fence."

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Who wouldn't?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I wonder if a rhinoceros bite is as nasty as a moose bite???? Maybe I will be sacked for saying this and the credits will have to be redone at the last minute at great expense....

Last edited by JoeG; 09/11/08 09:53 AM.
Lunker
Lunker
Getting back to the Swiss, what kind of regulations do they have for keeping anti-social animals? You know, pit bulls, spitting cobras, flop-eared rabbits?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I'm wondering who gets to teach the hogs how to take a shower?

D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Jeff, I recommend stocking white (square lipped) rhinos as they are primarily grass grazers. Black (triangular lipped) rhinos are browsers and may damage your trees. \:D

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I could call it Whinoceros World.

GSF are people too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The first week in October, we'll have Dr. Robert Arlinghaus from the University of Berlin (Germany) at SDSU to interact with our students. One of his presentations will involve this exact topic -- fish use and care in Europe, which tends to be quite a bit more restrictive than in the U.S. Rob is a good one to talk about the topic as his specialty really is recreational angling. It does seem that they can get support for fishing for food, but it's tougher for catch and release.

Some of you with musical interests know that Eric Clapton is one of the great guitarists. In-Fisherman published this quotation from him a few months back.

From Clapton, The Autobiography by guitarist Eric Clapton:
"Ethically it was never a problem for me, and it is the same with fishing. My family and I eat what I catch and shoot. It is fresh and healthy and we love it. I am a hunter; it is in my genes, and I am quite comfortable with that. I also support a lot of other countryside pursuits, quite simply because I believe they are an important part of our culture and heritage, and need protecting, usually from people, or movements of people, who have little understanding of the delicate economic balance of countryside communities and who have watched too many Disney movies."

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i'm surprised clapton and nugent havent hooked up.

GSF are people too!

Lunker
Lunker
Maybe you and Bruce can introduce them.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow, I hadn't thought of that angle. Dave, next time you are hanging out with Eric or Ted why don't you mention Whinoceros World to them. Even if they don't want to invest it would be great to have celebrity hunters at the facility. Perhaps you can get Santa or Tom Cruise involved as well. I really think I'm on to something here. I have purchased several cases of Boones Farm Strawberry Hill and Two Buck Chuck. I found a wino in an alley yesterday and lured him into the garage, keeping him there has been easy. I haven't told JWHAP that there is a wino in the garage so let's keep that on the down low. Anyone have any leads on where I can get a Rhino? Seems like they are harder to get than Winos.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

H
Lunker
Lunker
H

JHAP, This was about as close as I could find

Life-size rhino for sale
A life-size rhino might not be on top of many present lists for Christmas this year, but it is exactly what a local theatre has for sale.

The Royal Court Theatre at Sloane Square is trying to find a new home for Zara, the 12-foot long star of the play Rhinoceros, after her last performance on December 15.

However, Zara, who is made in Hollywood and has circus performances on her CV, is not a cheap treat. The theatre expects a price around £6000.

In addition to a big purse, buyers of the rhinoceros costume in latex will also need a good fitness, as it takes two men to manoeuvre it around. Stephen Pidcock, press officer at the theatre, said:

“I don’t know if anyone would buy it for their own use, but it would be lovely to think that someone might buy it and donate it…For a charity for rhinos for instance where they could use it for public display”

A few offers on the life-like rhino have been made, but bidding is still open. And if Zara does not fit under the Christmas tree, her performance can still be enjoyed at The Royal Court Theatre.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Heybud, I think you are definitely on the right track.
I can already see JHAP testing the new latex Rhino during the grand opening of Whinoceros World

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It is my understanding that if you lead a rhinocerous into your home, and if he were to bump his head on the door when you bring him in, that you have to hit him on the head with a blunt object until he's dead--then eat him.

Also, if you were to give money to a wino, and if he were to use this money for something detrimental to his health, like wine, then he too would require a deadly head beating, and eating.

This all makes almost too much sense.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Lunker
Wow, I hadn't thought of that angle. Dave, next time you are hanging out with Eric or Ted why don't you mention Whinoceros World to them.

Excellent idea, JHAP. Anyone who's ever listened to Ted's Double Live Gonzo album knows that his Gibson Birdland guitar is guaranteed to drop a charging Whino at 50 paces!

Quote:
Anyone have any leads on where I can get a Rhino? Seems like they are harder to get than Winos.

Next time I am in town, I will ask around at the Porturalian Consulate. You could just skip the hybridization process, since Whinoceri are native to Porturalia.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 09/12/08 01:23 PM. Reason: Trying to drum up business for my Porturalian Import/Export firm.

-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
JHAP, I actually did get to shake hands with and talk with Ted, once (airport at Baltimore). He was very polite and a gentleman. Have not gotten to talk with Eric, but did see him play last year in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
JHAP, I actually did get to shake hands with and talk with Ted, once (airport at Baltimore). He was very polite and a gentleman. Have not gotten to talk with Eric, but did see him play last year in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I'm glad you saw his good side Dave. Being in the music business at one time and the fact that I know people that have met him I can't stand the man.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/13/08 04:49 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Quote:

That's great Dave! I have admired Ted ever since I bought & read his book God, Guns & Rock & Roll. I bought the book for my sons & of course had to read it before giving it to them.
IMO it is highly recommended reading for youn adults.
The same as I feel of Bob Lusk, I would certainly like to travel in some of Ted's circles.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Heybud, that price seems a little steep. I was hoping to get a real Rhino for about 5,000 funny shaped "L"s. Keep looking for me. Don't you guys have any spare Rhinos in Texas? Darn place is so big there has got to be some of them roaming around there somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Next time I am in town, I will ask around at the Porturalian Consulate. You could just skip the hybridization process, since Whinoceri are native to Porturalia.

I appreciate the offer Theo but I am hoping not to have any hybridization. Besides I've heard the shipping costs from Porturalia are really high.

Project update:
I've had a little set back. Last night JWHAP and I went out to dinner with some clients. We got all dressed up and went down to the garage to get the car. I completely forgot the wino was in the garage. I opened the garage door to get the car and he came running out past us screaming "Maniac, Kidnapper, Maniac". Scared the heck out of my wife. I didn't want him to get away so I grabbed push broom (the only thing I had handy) and started pursuing him down the street. I figured if I could just get close enough to knock him down then I could get him back to the garage. So I'm chasing him down the street he's yelling "maniac, kidnapper, maniac" and I'm swinging the broom at him. Unfortuantely a bunch of my neighbors were standing in their front yards just kind of talking with each other as we ran by. (I never get invited to these types of gatherings by the way). I think one of them must have called the cops or the FBI or something because when we got home from dinner there were two guys in a black Ford parked two houses down that just appeared to be watching our house. Anyhoo to make a long story short, the wino got away and JWHAP put her foot down and said no more winos in the garage. Sometimes she can be so unreasonable.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Anyhoo to make a long story short, the wino got away and JWHAP put her foot down and said no more winos in the garage. Sometimes she can be so unreasonable.

Hey, don't give up so easily, Jeff, you have plenty of other rooms in the house.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails