Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I have been trying to put eyes to a fathead minnow since I put 9 lbs in my pond a week ago with no luck. I have walked the edges and all I see are tadpoles. I have even held a light out to the water at night with no spottings. Do FH's come to a light or am I just wasting time? If there are no predators will they seek deep water all the time or am I just not seeing them? I keep hoping they are all spawning, making thousands of little ones, but surely that doesn't take up all their time eh??

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Have you tried using a minnow trap?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I will try that, it would seem to me that you would at least see one in a weeks time. I saw them all over immediately after I stocked them, the next day it was as if they were invisible, or vanished, or had moved to Sunil's place for the rest of the summer maybe....

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
JoeG, I had the same experience when I first stocked FH into my neighbor's pond. He wasn't present when I stocked them and I felt somewhat uncomfortable because for a few weeks there was no indication of any fish in the pond.

After feeding them for a while they started coming to the surface.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I have a night light in my pond and the FHM are attracted to it as well as the CNBG/BG/LMB. They will also train to come to fish feed. I see them quiet well in my forage pond where I have just FHM and a few GC. I can't see them in the bigger pond at feeding time because of the rucus from the bigger fish. I started seeing the eggs and fry from my FHM before I started seeing the minnows. Look under floating logs/sticks/etc. They attach their eggs underneath submerged objects. A plastic chair blew into my pond and had eggs attached to it in several places after being in the water for just 3-4 days. I have also noted that they swim in schools. I am no expert, these are just observations. They are there, just give them time.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I didn't see any FHM after stocking them in a new pond earlier this year until after they spawned. I still don't see many, compared to the Gambusia that are much more comfortable in the upper water, but I get a few in an unbaited minnow trap each day.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Well I saw them yesterday, a gang of about ten FH minnows looking around for a big fish to kick it's butt, probably looking for a redear sunfish...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: JoeG
Well I saw them yesterday, a gang of about ten FH minnows looking around for a big fish to kick it's butt, probably looking for a redear sunfish...

I wouldn't doubt it. Don't know about being attracted to light, but FH are definitely attracted to death.

J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I even saw a male with spawning colors come out from under a rock and clear out some intruders from his yard, very cool.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"...but FH are definitely attracted to death."

Oh, the brutality.

JoeG, I'm sending you a PM.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Saw another male in spawning colors yesterday, I'm pretty happy about it too!!!!

J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Ok, now I have literally thousands of FH fry around the shore, tiny schools huddled in inches or less of water, some are just little tiny things, like thin lines drawn on the bottom, others are as long as 2 CM already. These buggers must grow fast because I put them in back around the first week of August and they are everywhere now. I'm still planning on waiting to stock until spring, the pond isn't completely full yet either. Should I feed these little buggers to help them along? They seem to be growing quite rapidly as it is.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I would feed them if for no other reason just to watch them eat.
Feeding will also multiply their growth to maturity so they too can spawn.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Good point, I hadn't thought of it like that.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Joe I was orginally using Purina sinking fry food, can't remember the number. I ran out & the only dealer around couldn't get it in unless I special ordered it. So I bought game fish chow. I soaked it in water until I could mash it up so it would sink (usually took 30 min or so) & they ate it like crazy! I never bought the expensive stuff again. But it was higher protien.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I think I will do that too Ric, I am going to buy some cheap stuff from TSC and give it a try, each day it looks as though there are more and more little ones showing up. I still see spawning adults too, so if the indian summer holds on and water temps. stay stable I may have more mouths to feed yet, heh heh. Yeah, I'm hooked...no pun intended.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images