Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,000
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, Sunil, Cliff76169, jmartin, JasonInOhio, FishinRod, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328), 1,433 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ewest,

Has it ever been considered to put Pond Boss on a magazine stands around the country to pick up potential subscribers? A one shot deal may be all it takes.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
IIRC it is in BASS PRO shops this month.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

That what Bob was saying at the conference. So you should be able to go into Bass Pro Shops and see the magazine. I'm not sure if it is just select BPS or all of them.

Dang, if I were Bruce I'd spend the day standing next to the magazine rack wearing the same shirt as he wore on the cover.

Everytime someone picked up the magazine I'd say, "Yup, that's me on the cover right there, want my autograph?"

Is that vain?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
Not if you're Bruce.

"If it's in the Record Book, it's not bragging."
-Bobby Knight

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
What cover is Bruce on?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
GQ
did you miss the pink hat?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
What cover is Bruce on?

Didn't get your magazine again yet huh?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

That what Bob was saying at the conference. So you should be able to go into Bass Pro Shops and see the magazine. I'm not sure if it is just select BPS or all of them.

Good deal! I guess I missed that as I was only at the conference the first day.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
What cover is Bruce on?

I haven't got one yet.

-S. M. Stirling
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Here is another way to look at the question. If 60% in Arlington are local and thus have no/minimal travel or hotel cost (big factor on attendance) , then what happens to attendance if 100% have to fly/drive and get a hotel (as in N.O.) ?

On both the cost and attendance factors it will be hard to overcome the loss of most of the DFW locals ( my estimate 125 people) and replace them with 15 or so N.O. locals. My guess for discussion purposes is a N.O. PB convention if marketed as in the past will have about 75-100 attendees. If it can be marketed so that we get 100 N.O. attendees its a different story.

That does not factor in the higher cost in N.O. for attendees , vendors and PB staff.

Isn't it a given Jeff that those who live close will want it there again? The question is, is that good for more exposure for the magazine?

What about the rest of us that live at least a 1000 miles away? We made the trip didn't we? ;\)

Again sorry for repeating this but from my experience organizing conventions in the taxidermy industry, the suppliers will go anywhere you have it (Unless they only offer regional supplies and services). And when you relocate you lose some people but you also GAIN some people. But in this case those who won't make it will probably continue to subscribe to the magazine. However you bring in potential new subscribers if you move, that may not have even heard of the magazine or the website. I can assure you when I talk to taxidermy customers that also have ponds, NONE of them have heard of Pond Boss previously. Not one! This tells me Bob needs more exposure! Can you imagine how many people all over the country Bob cold tap into that at this point know nothing about Pond Boss?

And as far as the risk here's one of my favorite axioms:

A ship that never leaves port doesn't go anywhere. (Or something to that affect).

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/31/08 11:23 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
What cover is Bruce on?

I haven't got one yet.

Neither have I. I was teasing Sunil.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/31/08 10:57 AM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil we discussed a lot of those points and much more at the PB retreat with Bob and Mike. Several instances of offering to put mags out to public so far BASSPRO is the first national type one.

There are lots of ways to advertise for mag sales that are more efficient than through PB conventions. There are quite a few possible ways to cross sell the mag. Good thoughts to consider Cecil.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We should consider having a PBOSS think tank get together somewhere? New Orleans, LL2, a fishing resort somewhere (kentucky lake or something), or a family resort somewhere so families can come too.

To be completely honest, I didnt really attend the conference to listen to the speakers, but to get to know and hang out with the PBOSS members. Some sort of Pond Boss Members get together would be awesome once a year.

Pond Boss magazine would rake in subscribers and new members by traveling around the country and putting on the local pond seminars. Wont be a big financial risk or even a big headache for them either, especially if the seminars are organized by local members like what Dave Sefton and Bing are doing in Southern Illinois. I bet when the Pond Boss Seminar tour comes back through that area for a second time there will be 5 times as many attendees (and new subscribers as well). I will also be scheduling Pond Seminars up in my area at some point in the future and dont think I will have much trouble at all bringing in folks who are starving for info about their ponds.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nate Bob and PB have been doing that for a while. That is the genesis of the regional meetings. DFW , Atlanta , Lincoln , SDSU , NY , and a bunch more. They are great events.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil, like you I've never been to NOLA but have always thought it would be interesting(not today).

Being local, I've been there and done that a bunch in Arlington. No thrill.

Like most conventions or get togethers, the location doesn't matter that much to me. It's more about the facilities.

I think it will be hard, from a financial standpoint, to go elsewhere.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Isn't it a given Jeff that those who live close will want it there again? The question is, is that good for more exposure for the magazine?

Sorry Cecil I wasn't ignoring you I just didn't that you addressed this question to me before. Yep it is a given that those who live close will want it there again. I concede that. And since I will have to fly in to any city that it is hosted in (unless it's in California, Nevada or Arizona - which is unlikely) I will fly into where ever it is held. Like you I have been to quite a number of conferences (on a whole variety of topics (Accounting & Taxation, Auto restoration, Tortoise Raising & Breeding (bet ya didn't know that I use to raise South American Red Footed Tortoises did ya). We both can put forth arguments for moving the conference or keeping it in the same place. Yes you may gain new members by moving the conference. You may also loose some of the largest attendance block (Texans). Some of the largest conferences in the US stay in the same place and are held during the same time year after year. So I think you could support either argument with evidence.

I believe that magazine sales are a completely different topic than the convention. I suspect that the percentage of conference attendees that were non-subscribers or non-forum members would be very low. I'm guessing but I don't really think that the conference does a lot to increase magazine sales - obviously this is pure speculation on my part.

We had a couple of round-table discussions regarding increasing magazine circulation, one at the conference and one at the LL2. Bob Lusk is an amazingly open person and welcomes new ideas readily (or at least that is my opinion of him given the limited amount of time that I have spent with him). Some great ideas were put forth at both of these discussions. The folks on this forum come from all walks of life, have a multitude of life experiences and an enormous amount of education (both formally and through the "university of life") and it really showed during these discussions.

Where ever it is held, when ever it is held, I just would like the conference to be a glowing success. Obviously I have no financial stake in the outcome of the conference, but I do have a personal one. The conference was a GREAT experience. I learned a lot, I made new friends, and I created memories that I cherish.

I feel the same way about the magazine. I would like it to be a glowing success as well. Just because I really like it.

I don't what any of that has to do with your question, but I'm on a roll and can't seem to stop. \:D

I have been involved both professionally and personally in quite a number of groups and I can say this without hesitation. Never before in all of the groups that I have belonged to have I ever found a feeling of "family" as I have here. We enjoy each others victories and are saddened by each others losses. I really enjoy the pond boss family and I'd like to see it grow.

We are family,
I got the pond meisters with me,
We are family,
Get up ev'rybody and sing.

Ev'ryone can see we're together,
As we walk on by,
and we swim just like fish that are clever,
I won't tell no lie,
ALL! all of the people around us they say,
Can they be that close,
Just let me state for the record.
We're giving pond advice in a family dose!

Heyyyyyyyy, We are family,
I got the pond meisters with me,
We are family,
Get up ev'rybody and sing.

Come on, everybody dance!!!!!

Sorry, I lost it there for a moment. Does seem kind of fitting that I stole these lyrics from "Sister Sledge" though.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
Lunker
I vote Thailand...Where the love for RAD????

kidding, I am like nate, I am there for the people ,not so much the info (but it is a nice bonus). I would go just about anywhere to hang withyou boys (and girls Mrs JHAP).

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
I vote Thailand...Where the love for RAD????

kidding, I am like nate, I am there for the people ,not so much the info (but it is a nice bonus). I would go just about anywhere to hang withyou boys (and girls Mrs JHAP).

Same for me - I've had enough "scientific" conferences to last me several life times - like Mexico City - N.O - Houston -Dallas - San Antonio - Denver - Calgary and some I've missed and others more than once.

I vote Calgary for the Stampede and fun and fellowship...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Lunker
if we goto a place outside of Texas, Mrs. McButterpants might go too!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I would go just about anywhere to hang withyou boys (and girls Mrs JHAP).

Thank you Mr McButterpants

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
JHAP posted:
 Quote:
Tortoise Raising & Breeding (bet ya didn't know that I use to raise South American Red Footed Tortoises did ya).

That explains everything \:o
Please tell me the red feet were a natural occurance.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Ric Swaim
JHAP posted:
 Quote:
Tortoise Raising & Breeding (bet ya didn't know that I use to raise South American Red Footed Tortoises did ya).

That explains everything \:o
Please tell me the red feet were a natural occurance.

The Red Feet were a natural occurance. However if you were at a tortoise show and you were competing in the Miss Global Geochelone Pagent, you may, and this is just pure rumor mind you, you may consider making the red feet "pop" with some Revlon Cherry Berry nail polish, or so I've heard.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
I don't want to know where you put the duct tape and vaseline in a turtle pageant.

-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: JWHAP
I would go just about anywhere to hang withyou boys (and girls Mrs JHAP).

Thank you Mr McButterpants

NO.....thank you! You and your roundish husband were a delight!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
NO.....thank you! You and your roundish husband were a delight!

\:o \:o \:o

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/28/24 09:32 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner