While in North Carolina last week, got a phone call from Pond Boss' good friend, Ray Scott.
After the end of the conference in July, Ray suggested we take the conference to New Orleans next year. He asked his office manager, Vicki Bender, to get us some quotes on room rates from one of the nicest hotels in the French Quarter.
She got those numbers and Ray called.
He was interested in what was going on in North Carolina, especially since he was instrumental in re-designing the lake bottom when the lake was empty several years ago.
And, since we had spent a couple of days together in south central Georgia just a week and a half ago, Ray said he wanted to talk.
Then, he popped the "real" question. "Would you and Debbie like to meet Susan (his wife) and I at the Royal Sonesta in New Orleans next weekend to celebrate my 75th birthday?"
Seems today is Ray's birthday and he wanted Debbie and I to spend a few days alone with he and his wife.
What a flattering invitation!
We couldn't say no!
So, I caught a plane late Thursday, arrived too late to eat supper, and met up with Ray Friday morning.
He had set up a meeting with hotel management to take a tour of the facilities to look at the potential to bring the Pond Boss conference to this hotel.
Ray's sales pitch has been strong, but when I got there and began to look at the facilities, I have no doubt we could have the greatest conference and symposium ever. This place is spectacular and affordable...so far as room rates go. Now, they put together a bid package with minimums for food and beverage and we'll see how competitive it is.
Looking past that, I have been to New Orleans several times...once in 1988 to the Republican National Convention, again in the late 90's to go watch A&M play Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl and a couple of times in between just passing through. I have always thought the French Quarter to be a dirty, wacky place to go...erotic and offbeat and a little uncomfortable.
Since Katrina, New Orleans has worked hard to keep the French Quarter the center of attraction and they are doing a good job of it. The streets are much cleaner and there are definitely some great places to eat and shop. The main theme is still the same, but, for us, it was easy to overlook it and go do the fun things we love to do. We ate some of the best meals I have ever had and met the friendliest people we could see...but, it helps to be holding the coat-tails of Ray Scott.
After we toured the hotel, Ray wanted me to go see Brennan's, one of the most famous eateries in New Orleans. We had no intent of eating there, but as soon as we walked in the door at 1:30, the maitre' d saw Ray and flashed a huge smile, "Mr. Scott! It's great to see you! Your regular table, sir?" Ray smiled and told him he was just bringing me by to take a look at the restaurant and maybe book a Pond Boss breakfast there next year for our special friends. The maitre'd wouldn't have it. "C'mon in, I'll fix you both one of our famous bloody Marys." I've never tasted one of those and soon I had one in my hand and we were seated at Ray's regular table with a bowl of turtle soup on its way for each of us, gratis. As we made our way to the table, every server in the restaurant came to greet the father of Bass Fishing. Talk about celebrity! I was humbled just to be the fly on the wall, watching all this stuff happen.
One of the executives came to the table, talked a minute and left, then came back and presented me with a hardback copy of their cookbook of all their famous recipes...autographed. What a treat!
Next, Ray and I walked up and down several streets, shopped, talked and strategized about the Pond Boss conference, a new prospective client in Georgia, the lake in North Carolina, King Fisher Society's new business as we bought a few comfortable, informal shirts at a small boutique he knows.
As we walked into the little clothes store, called "California Drawstrings," Ray said, "May I have your attention please?" Everyone in the store turned their heads and looked at him. He announced, "Everything in the store is now 50% off!" In a flash, the store manager shouted, "I recognize that voice!" And, just as quickly, she shouted, "Ray Scott is buying everyone a shirt!" When all saw it was a gag, the mood was set for some fun. I bought three shirts. I NEVER buy three shirts.
Debbie's plane arrived at 2:30 and we soon were together, planning dinner with Ray and Susan.
Debbie and I headed to our room, opened the door, and got her settled in. Just as she was settled, room service knocked. We hadn't ordered anything.
But, to our delight and surprise, we were honored with the gift of a bottle of wine and some delicious gourmet chocolate decorated greeting candies and treats, compliments of the hotel manager, Mr. Groos, whom I had met earlier in the day.
We were being treated like royalty.
That evening we went to Tony Angelo's, one of Ray and Susan's favorite restaurants. Ray ordered. "Feed us." Soon, one at a time, the waiter brought servings of each house specialty. It was Italian food, and each serving, starting with appetizers, was fabulous. Before we were seated, Ray walked through the swinging door, straight into the kitchen to greet the staff. With huge smiles, the busy bunch waved to one of their favorite customers and friends.
During the middle of eating 12 different courses that made their way one by one to our table, Tony Angelo himself came to greet Ray and his friends. Tony is 76 and Ray has been eating at his restaurants for nearly 40 years.
It was a thrill and special honor. We were having the times of our lives.
After dinner, we headed back to the hotel to rest and reflect on the day. It was one of the most fun things I have done in quite a while.
Saturday, we had brunch at Brennans at Ray's table and enjoyed the specialties of the house, eggs benedict, followed by banana's foster. We felt like kings.
Then, we went to Jackson Square, did some shopping, looked at the mighty Mississippi River, shopped some more, bought some clothes for Debbie and some olive salad as we tasted more samples of the great fare of New Orleans.
Then, last night, we were treated to supper at Mr. B's Bistro, about two blocks from the Royal Sonesta, compliments of a mutual client who found out we were there. With a bottle of Jordan Wine and more fine food, we were definitely inside an element that would soon be hard to depart. We were being spoiled.
Folks, the last few days has been fast, enchanting, fun and relaxing...true memories made to last a lifetime.
My attitude about New Orleans has been refreshed and I think all of us could have a blast there. While Arlington is good, this place is great. There is so much to do inside the hotel and then you step out into the French Quarter. Within three blocks of the hotel sit 5 world class restaurants and some great shopping and fabulous music venues. There's the eclectic and stuff not so family oriented, but's it's pretty easy to get past all that stuff into the wholesome side of the area.
Here's a few photos to share.
Fish on.

The lobby of the Royal Sonesta fronts Bourbon Street. It is a truly beautiful, classy hotel.

Debbie and I await Ray and Susan to celebrate Ray's 75th birthday at Mr. B's Bistro in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

This photo was shot immediately out the door, looking left down Bourbon Street at 8 pm last night (Saturday).

Ray with a bottle of Jordan Winery's Cabernet Sauvignon. I have done some work with Jordan, in Healdsburg, California. They have a great wine...

Debbie, Ray, Susan, (Ray's bride), and I.

As we shared the wine and awaited a spectacular supper, we all savored the moment. I must tell you, our lives are exceptional and fun. All those years wading in ponds, figuring out about fish and water and vegetation, has led to a life with fantastic people with fabulous success stories and many, many friends.

We are truly blessed.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...