Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sunil, catscratch, jludwig, sprkplug, canyoncreek, gehajake, STG), 1,146 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Now that's what I'M talkin' about.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Very, very nice B-ski!! That last photo looks like a PB magazine cover candidate.

Lunker
Lunker
Lookin' good, Brettski.

Quote:
There were 30 of 'em, all pre-cut to length.
That's the way to go. Sawing metal is LOUD!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
All of your hard work is really paying off Bski. Beautiful place!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
B'ski all I can say is WOW !! Nice job. Put those folding chairs up there and get out a cold beverage (ice tea of course). \:\)

In the stretch pic is that a crib and a B'ski log above water ? What gives - I thought you were near full ? Also looks like a little macrophyte formation around the edges.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
A ll I can do is applaude, mouth agape. \:\)

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Beautiful lake and dock! Congratulations and kudos on the attention you give to everything you've done.

Psalm 24:1-2
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I give you win, I can't take it any more.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Congratulations Brettski, for making your dream come true. Eddie's sig comes to mind.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can always count on the PB community for moral support and motivation. Thanks guys!
-
Ewest asks:
 Quote:
...In the stretch pic is that a crib and a B'ski log above water ? What gives - I thought you were near full ? Also looks like a little macrophyte formation around the edges.

Yes sir, dems da cribs and logs. I measured the water depth yesterday and got 35" short of pool. We corked the drain last July. Last fall, winter, and spring provided very consistent, heavy doses of precip...then, it shut down about 6 - 8 weeks ago. We have been very dry since. After the last strong rain (some weeks ago), the depth was 25" shy of pool. We have dropped 10" due to saturation of the virgin pond zone soils and evaporation. On the upside, the lower water level allows a little more last minute adjustments of stuff like this:

...my farmin' pal brought back his tractor/frt end loader and gave the rock we trucked in another shove to get it a little deeper and under the shadows of the deck and roof.
-
WRT the pond vegetation growth, we have a fair collection of american pond weed around the shores at the shallow and gradual slopes.
-
-
Tim Sanders adds:
 Quote:
Beautiful lake and dock! Congratulations and kudos on the attention you give to everything you've done.
Thank ya, sir. Seeing your post reminds me that we have not heard (or I have missed) any further news on your project. Fill us in; it sounded like a great plan.
-
-
My pal Rocky T is back from a true R & R vay-cay...you oughta post a couple of pics of your dream pond ;\) . RT adds:
 Quote:
I give you win, I can't take it any more.
Knock it off, big guy! Crying uncle from a creator like yourself is nothing more than crocodile tears. ;\) Bear Witness
-
Thanks to all. You're inspirational cheers are killing my back, testing D-ski's patience, and pleasing my loan officer.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Por Fin...the launch, she be done...
-

We had 6-1/2 yards of 'crete hauled in for three different projects today. This one is pretty much done...finally. This last pour was cake; 12'w x 8'l. The total launch is 12'w x 70'l. I struck this last pour off with a 16" float and called it good; no rake finish on this one. A nice combo of roughly smooth. At normal pool, it will be completely exposed...and...it will likely be used as a sidewalk to get to the deck/dock from the building pad (someday).

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Your pond, deck, everything is gorgeous. You guys have done an exceptional job. I can see you enjoying some wonderful lounging in the near future. I must admit that I zipped through just so I could see all of the pictures. I can't wait to go back and 'read' how you did it now! Thanks for sharing with all of us!
GREAT JOB!

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
Brettski, I'm new to the Pond Bossing and I really enjoyed reviedwing the work you have been doing on your place. Great job, I look forward to ready more as they come in.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...just applied a secure, finishing touch.
-
Since I took the time to thouroughly document our little dock construction project, I would be remiss to not share one of the most important features. A gate.
The PB forum has kicked around safety and liability issues on a few different threads. In my mind, none of this pond stuff is worth a lick if you haven't taken a little time to make sure it's safe. Also, covering liability is huge. Therefore, allow me to present The Gate post.
-
It's all treated lumber; 6 feet wide x 5 feet tall. I knew it was gonna be a heavy bugger, so I used 1-by stock wherever possible.

-
-
It swings on a 4 x 4 vertical post. The weight of the gate, combined with the leverage, caused me to take extra steps to beef up the attachment of this vertical post. Before we started, I removed one of the 2 x 8 horizontal support ledgers from the framing beneath the dock. I replaced it with another of the exact same, except it is about 6" longer. The additional length protrudes out and provides a good place to secure one part of the bottom of the gate post. The second place to secure was directly into the continuous decking joist. The third place is a pc of 24" long 4 x 4 with 45 degree cuts bolted to the same continuous decking joist and the gate post. Between all 3, the entire gate actually hangs and swings freely.

-
-
Even though the gate hangs OK on the gate post without additional support, I know at some point somebody is going to hang on it. I installed a rubber caster underneath the free end of the gate. It hovers about 1/2" off of the deck surface. Also, the gate has 2 specific positions: open and closed (pretty slick, eh?). I bolted short lengths of 4 x 4 to the continuous decking joists; one at each position of "open and closed" to support the free end of the gate. The tops of the 4 x 4's are chamfered to allow the gate bottom to "bump up and onto" the tops of these gate support blocks as it swings to their position.
-
The locking rod is a pc of 3/4" round steel. I drilled a hole through the rod where the padlock slips thru. The rod guides are large stainless steel screw eyes. In the closed position, the padlock is stuck between 2 of these screw eyes so the rod cannot be moved or removed.
-
-
In the open position, another 4 x 4 support block is bolted to the continuous decking joist (identical to the block used to support the closed position). This support block only needs one screw eye to keep the gate in position. The lock just takes a ride.

-
-
C'mon in and grab a chair.

Lunker
Lunker
Very nice, Bski.

How secure is the lock from becoming structure in the open position shown in the next to last pic?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

How secure is the lock from becoming structure in the open position shown in the next to last pic?

\:\)
I considered it. The lock is a long shank and rustier than a scupper, so it doesn't slide easily like the original chrome finish. Also, and this is part of the engineering ( ), the weight of the rod pushes it down and jams it against the screw eye below.
It's a calculated risk....thx

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Good job, man! Thanks for the continuing pics. I think I would have to cable the lock to the eye, though. Good, well used, long shank locks are hard to come by.
Your pond sure looks fishy!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Awesome, Bski! I think you're really onto something with the gate idea...you'll be a pioneer in that area of pond management.

Beautiful place...when can I come fishing?

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Really nice, Brettski.

For the proper effect, it should be painted neon orange.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great job B'ski. Who came up with the idea of a gate that goes a little on each side of the pier in water about 3 ft deep. Nice thoughtful additions to the concept. Now you need to get a life sized blowup of the YMCA mods in plastic to put on the front of the gate. \:o - \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Who came up with the idea of a gate that goes a little on each side of the pier in water about 3 ft deep

...stolen engineering from my attorney pal in Miss. Hope I haven't infringed on any patents. ;\)

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Good job. Been in the business for 29 years and learn from you and the rest of the guys on the form all the time.

Looking forward to having a cold drink with you (ice tea of course)

Otto

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Not my idea as I saw it on a few other ponds. Just passing on the info. Can't be a patent infringement as you added to many improvements and extras.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I want to see some pictures of the smallies hanging around the dock.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length