Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328), 1,362 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Forum members (from left) Mongo, Theo, JHAP, Fatty McButterpants, George, Brettski, Ewest, Burgermeister, Bob Lusk, Princess Debbie, and Sunil.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Bruce just can't stop fishing, even at a conference, even when the only fish are in a fish tank, even when he doesn't have a hook on the line. And he darn near caught a fish without the hook. I'm telling you the guy is a fishing machine.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Ricki (aka JWHAP), Ray Scott, and JHAP. We had the pleasure the honor and pleasure to have lunch with Ray, Bob and Princess Debbie on Thursday. We won the Ray Scott books and hat, which Ray autographed with a very nice personal touch.

JHAP is modeling the GSA world class T-shirt line. These shirts will be available and the finer stores in your area soon. As you can see they are available in large sizes.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Bob Lusk and Princess Debbie after being presented with the spoils of the silent auction. One is happy, the other not so much.

Bob is a great sport and a very funny guy, generous with his time and belongings. Debbie is worthy of being called Princess Debbie, what a gracious host, and a class act she is, and she is also very funny to boot.

Ricki and I thank you both from the bottom of our hearts for all you did for us during conference week. Our lives are enriched for having met you two.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
On the way to the lusk lodge we stopped at a convenience store.

Bruce found a quality hat at an affordable price.

The vibe he was putting out was incredible.

It takes a real man to wear a pink hat and a baby blue shirt and yet he pulls it off. Unbelievable.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Speaking of Bruce, that guy's casting skills are off the charts.

He stood 10' back from Overton's tank and put a jighead into the tank through a 1" x 1" opening. Unreal

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Lusk Lodge 2. All I can say is WOW. Photos do not do this place justice. I tried long and hard to convince Bob and Debbie that they really, really needed a live-in CPA and Registered Nurse team. He told me he'd get back to me. So far the phone hasn't rang.

Not visible in this photo is the Lusk Lodge: Heliport, Bowling Alley, Lure museum, movie theatre, 7 of his 8 ponds (no I'm not kidding, eight ponds) and various other amenities.

I'm telling you the place is beautiful.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Layton caught the first fish of the day. Upon teaching me the finer points of the Condello Method of Photography, Bruce gave me the thumbs up to take this photo. Layton brought tears to the eyes of JHAP, JWHAP, Theo and Brettski with his medical stories (he is a retired physician), I'm trying to convince him to tell one particular story here in the forums. His wife is an absolute gem.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Nate found the Zip line and put it to good use.

I wanna Zip Line, I want one bad.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Don't worry folks Nate can swim.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Aaron and a bass that he caught. Unfortunately this is not the photo of the big bass that he caught (which weighed over 5 pounds). I think Bruce has a photo of that bass. Aaron and Bruce fished and fished and fished and fished. Made me tired just watching them.

Aaron is a very interesting guy and is living proof that Small Mouth Bass can be raised in warm conditions..... like Arizona.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
In an alternate universe, in a land far, far away, Bruce's polar opposite catches a Bass and illustrates the "Reverse Condello Method of Photography."

Somehow Theo transported me to this alternate universe and back using only his watch, a coat hanger, and some WD-40. I was just able to snap this photo before I was tugged back into reality. All I can say is becareful around Theo, be very, very careful.

Oh and don't ask me what Bruce's opposite is doing with his fishing pole, I figured it was one of those don't ask, don't tell situations.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Jeffhasabluegill

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Nate caught this bluegill using the fly pole he was holding.

Nate is a great guy. Ricki and I are proud count him amoungst our friends. If I had a son I'd want him to be just like Nate.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
At a corner booth in this Whatta Burger the Pond Boss empire began. Bob says the burgers are great. I never got to find out.

Whattaburger has the best fast-food hamburgers in the entire world.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
On the way to the lusk lodge we stopped at a convenience store.

Bruce found a quality hat at an affordable price.

The vibe he was putting out was incredible.

It takes a real man to wear a pink hat and a baby blue shirt and yet he pulls it off. Unbelievable.

I just forgot how to breath.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Ricki (aka JWHAP) caught her very first Coppernosed Bluegill. Bruce said her fish was bigger than any Coppernose that he had ever caught. I'm not sure if this is that particular fish or not. Things were fast and furious for a while there when we were all fishing for panfish. Ricki reeled in fish after fish. Somehow Bruce got Ricki to actually hold a fish. I think some form of hypnosis was used but I can't be certain.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
"Thank you lord for this fish that my belly is about to receive and thank for for the strength to reel this 6.25 pound monster (a personal record for channel cat) on 4 pound test with this ultra light pole and reel, thank you for the instructions from Bruce on how to land this fish, thank you for Nate's fishing lessons that made this personal best possible."

And on a more serious note, thank you all for being part of this forum, thank you Bob Lusk and Mike Otto for providing us with Pond Boss, thank you moderators for keeping the forum on the internet. Thank you Bob Lusk and Princess Debbie for so generously including Ricki and I in this wonderous day. JHAP and JWHAP are truly blessed to have found this wonderful place and have met so very many new friends.

From the bottom of our hearts JHAP and JWHAP thank you one and all.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I will try to keep up with JeffHasACamera.

Special Events

Chris and Catmandoo gave a fish-cleaning demo. It was well and attentively received despite being in the full late afternoon sun.

As JHAP noted, Bruce can't help fishing any available BOW. He came close to landing Todd Overton's Longear Sunfish (which would have been Bruce's first) despite not even having a hook.

George Glazener teaches Dave Davidson "Fly Tying for Goggle-Eyes"

As a special treat for the ladies present, Sunil & FMcB showed off their special brand of (sugarless) eye candy.
Jim Liner couldn't believe it either.

Children of all ages enjoyed the Albino-Bluegill flavored All Day Suckers

although it gave some of them a tummy-ache and ruined their appetite for the burrito bar lunch (Brettski, Bruce, Burgermeister).

-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Theo, from my best recollection you have these two photos backwards.

I think it went something a little more like this:

Sunil and Fatty McButterpants bust out a body building pose in front of the moderators both.

Unfortuately, this occured at the exact same time that Dave discovered that fly tieing goggles have x-ray properties that allow a person to see through clothes. This nervous smile was followed by a blood chilling scream that was heard for two blocks and finally the violent smashing of the glasses. Fortunately, neither George nor Brandon (barely visable on the left side of the photo) were injured during this event. Dave on the other hand is probably scarred for life.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

As and also and besides related to the photo above, the hose that is connected to the table came loose during the demonstration and water started squirting everywhere. Tom G whipped out the smallest pair of channel lock pliers that I have ever seen and immediately fixed the problem. That my friends is a true story.

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Children of all ages enjoyed the Albino-Bluegill flavored All Day Suckers

All of the Albino-Bluegill flavored All Day suckers were gone before I got to the fish snacks vendor. All I got was a lousy bite sized Carp Flavored Candy Bar, it was neither "refreshing nor satisifying" as the wrapper assured it would be.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
We did have some mind bending discussion late into the night. Bio-energetics is a fascinating subject and so are BG & LMB genetics and spawning. I am still looking for some answers. Melissa was on top of the subjects and had some of the guys heads spinning. Even talked about new research that allows the determination of fish diets past and present from scales and spines (not lethal to the fish).

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Actually, Eric -- past diet determination from scales and spines (rather than muscle plugs) is where the 2008 money from the Jesse West endowment was used. We'll hope to get Justin VanDeHey to the Pond Boss Conference next year, and update everyone on how the money was used and what he learned. How's that for a first-thought-in-the-morning? This is still experimental stuff.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Ricki and I didn't get to spend much time with Melissa but we kept hearing great reviews about her from everyone.

I am just a layman related to ponds but I must tell you that I am very excited about the calibre of people and the topics that were presented at the conference. I'm sure the presentations probably seemed "dumbed down" for you professional folks but I really enjoyed them.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Oh and Dr. Dave, I was just reading some of your newsletters on your web site. Contratulations on being promoted to department head and and for being inducted in to the Hall of Excellence of the American Fisheries Society, Fisheries Management Section (I hope I got that correct). I'm sure this was probably mentioned on Pond Boss somewhere but I must have missed it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner