Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,957
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lake8, Sunil, J. R., FishinRod, Jason D, Perch Pond, Augie), 1,533 guests, and 392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26263 05/04/07 10:09 AM
P
Phil Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Some years ago, our neighbors up the branch dug a small "oriental" pond. The, of course, put some small Koi in. The spring rains here can swell the branch well beyond the width of their little water feature. Hence, the two Koi they put in have washed into my three acre pond and are now in the 19 to 22 inch size. They must be the same sex, because there is no sign of little ones. Will these hurt my pond in any way or can the peaceably cohabit with my Bass,Brim and Pearch?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
At higher densities, Koi may stir up bottom muck/sediment rooting around for food.

If it's just the two, and they're the same sex, you might be OK.

I know some people do have koi in their ponds coexisting w/ LMB and other panfish.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
As grass carp are getting harder and harder to get around here, I'm tempted to take the suggestion of a local fish hatchery (Zetts in Inwood, WV).

I'm not sure whether to believe them or not, but they claim that koi will do a good job of keeping the weeds down, and they won't over populate in a pond with LMB. They also don't require DNR approval.

I have concerns about their advice though, as they also suggest introducing crappie and yellow perch into ponds with BG/LMB/CC.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Catmandoo,

Do you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get tilapia in WV? If you really need something to chomp the weeds, and as a bonus provide some more forage, they might be a good option-and if they weren't an optimal choice, they'd disappear in the fall....Meadowlark thinks they're great on weeds.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Koi control algae and rooted weeds two ways. Their rooting and digging physically disrupts the bottom growing plants thus young plants get uprooted. As koi numbers increase beyond 10/acre their digging activities keeps mud in suspension thus decreasing light penetration and plants will not grow in water much deeper than 2 ft. Although your pond with muddy water will not develop a normal plankton bloom due to all the silt/clay in the water column.

Koi diet is about 10-15% plant matter and not really enough quanitity in terms of plant biomass to make a big dent in rooted plant or FA control.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Yolk Sac:
Catmandoo,

Do you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get tilapia in WV? If you really need something to chomp the weeds, and as a bonus provide some more forage, they might be a good option-and if they weren't an optimal choice, they'd disappear in the fall....Meadowlark thinks they're great on weeds.
My plan was to have tilapia in my pond by now. It isn't a bureaucratic issue, it is a supply issue. I have made numerous calls, and sent untold e-mails trying to find a source of tilapia in WV, VA, MD, or PA. Besides hatcheries, I've tried the universities, the DNR, and food suppliers. Somebody mentioned trying pet stores. I'm off from work today, and I'm planning on visting every place that may sell fish in the Winchester, VA and Martinsburg, WV area today.

We also now only have two places left in WV that legally sell grass carp, and a couple from outside the state. If there are any in VA, neither me, nor a friend in VA have found them.

If we can find certified grass carp, all we need is a simple form signed by the DNR and the dealer -- and then make arragnements to meet the truck when the guy arrives in a nearby town.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Maybe one of our forum contributors/actual fisheries professionals will see this and help....I got some great tilapia from Jeff Slipke at Southeastern Pond Management-I mention him because I know he's involved with a smallmouth pond in WVa and could be heading your way sometime soon....also, Greg Grimes occasionally travels and might be coming up your way sometime.

Maybe you could swap Mensa cats for tilapia with Big_Pond!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
catmandoo, my fish guy should be able to easily hook you up w/ Grass Carp.

PM me if you want his ocntact info. He's out of Harrisburg, PA.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
HEY... I got a KOI.

After reading some threads here the fish truck came around today, so I grabbed a pound of fatheads, 30 bucks worth the albinos and a cool looking KOI... ya there was a sale on them so I said ya let me see them...oh there was a pretty big nice one OK he is good. so they guy baged um up. I get them all home, all doing great, the Koi is really nice a steal for 10 bucks, he has like a small imperfection behind his top fins but it dont bother him and it sure dont bother me I actually think it gives him characture.

Anyways I didnt want to chance breeding so thats why only one, he will have a lot to eat, maybe he will get real big...

I will try to establish the Albino cats one more time. I am begining to second quess after reading other threads here. Over the last year at various times put catfish in but I am not seeing them, I hope there gone because if there still there I got a lot. I put albinos twice before and you can see them clear as day and I cant see any and I really look. So last time sink or swim, there will no more cats stocked in my pond....

I am into sunnys.

Joey
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Joey:
HEY... I got a KOI.

... so I grabbed a pound of fatheads, 30 bucks worth the albinos and a cool looking KOI...

Anyways I didnt want to chance breeding so thats why only one, he will have a lot to eat, maybe he will get real big...
We have one big (about 24 inch) orange and black koi in our pond. He loves to sun himself in the middle of the pond during the day. In the mornings and afternoons he slowly goes around and around the pond edge -- almost always accompanied by a catfish that is 18-20 inches. This is the second season that the two of them seem to be best of friends. Maybe someday I'll have hybrid orange and black catkoi.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
catmandoo, my fish guy should be able to easily hook you up w/ Grass Carp.

PM me if you want his contact info. He's out of Harrisburg, PA.
(Sunil -- PM sent with contact info)

Geeze, maybe I will finally be able to get younger grass carp and tilapia.

I believe that my wife and I talked to Jeff Slipke at the PB convention. I'll get in touch with him to find out if he will be anywhere in my area.

Thanks guys.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have been robbed... something got 10 of my albinos. I put 1 dozen of the smallest ones in a pen. I see bird feathers and only 2 albinos. I put a cover on the pen today.

Joey
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Here is Spotter. I got a new camera, figured I would try it out. He is getting big. I bet he has more then trippled in size in like 3 months Spotter

Joey
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I put 25 koi in my pond when it was new five years ago. I think they are all still there and we love them. I don`t know if they eat many weeds, but they love purina food. Lots of different colors and they all weigh about 15 pounds. I have never seen a small one. My pond is 12 acres.

P
Fingerling
Fingerling
P
If you are looking for tilapia and you have some Chinese restaurants or shops in your town, you may give them a call. They are known to stock live tilapia to be sacrificed on your order.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
We have several(6-8) Koi in our 3.5 acre pond. They are now between 15"-24" and fat as all get out. We do feed our Cats, bluegills and Koi pellets everyday. My wife has actually named each one of them. We also have 4 Grass carp that are now 3-4 feet long! I'm sure they don't do much to keep the weeds down, but I love seeing guests surprise when they see one lounging on the surface.
I have been to Zetts many times and quite frankly they are not very customer focused. I would love to find some Talapia in the area. I could use them! Good luck Catmandoo

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I have Koi, LMB and CC etc in the Lazy W Pond. Having LMB in the pond, I don't think you will have to worry about over population. I love watching mine when they come to pellets. They are family pets.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana