Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,914
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
13 members (ghdmd, DrewSh, FishinRod, catscratch, phinfan, Theeck, Cliff76169, Justin W, Shorthose, canyoncreek, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Donatello), 836 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Joseph Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Hey hey hey....Just bought a new house, me and the neighbor share a pond. When I was talkin to the sellers he mentioned the neighbor was looking into stocking it. So I was gonna start researching costs of local fish providers. Anyone had any experience with anyone out in the Nac/Lufkin area?

Anyone have any advice as far as when to plant what?

Anyone have any advice as far as what NOT TO DO? ya know first timers mistakes?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Don't stock Gams near hungry young bass. That much I know. The rest I'll leave to the experts.

Except you might want to recap:

1. size of your pond

2. Species of fish that are currently in the pond

3. Goals for your pond (huge LMB, huge BG), etc

That'll help the experts.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Hey Joseph,what not to do?Just follow me around and anything you see me do....DONT DO THAT

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Don't stock crappi. unless you have a 25 acre or more pond then proceed with caution.
Don't stock LMB with SMB.
Don't get fish from another pond.

Other than that I would consult with an expert and read some of the articles on this website.
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/about.html

There are some great articles about stocking ratios, what to stock, when to stock, etc...

Lunker
Lunker
Don't stock predators until there is properly sized forage fish for them to eat.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Like Jeff says, what is the pond size, what are your/his goals, how much $ do you have to spend?

Actually, there is a lot more to a pond than fish. I would recommend reading the archives section. I promise that it won't be a wasted effort.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 05/16/08 11:32 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Joseph Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
OK...heres the long version. I just bought a house that share a pond with the neighbor. 2 weeks before I moved he stocked it with minnows, bluegills, LMB(4"-6"). He went to the guy who was recommended by the people who sold me the house. The pond is about an acre surface area. We are going to do a bucket test to see how much ag lime is going to be needed. Is the lime going to kill off the fish hes already put in there? Wheres the best place to find feed pellets? Whats the best way to go about feeding them? Should we wait to add any lime etc. until the fish are bigger? Should we add it now cuz its going to kill the fish and then restock?

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Joseph...

Ag lime can kill your fish if you aren't careful, but if you do what they recommend on this site, you will probably be okay. People around me get their ag lime and their pellets from the co-op. You can also get pellets from Tractor Supply. Most people use a feeder that feeds up to 6 times a day off a timer. You can set it up to feed however many times you want. You can get one from $150 on up.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Ag lime should not kill fish. Hydrated lime can easily kill fish.
My guess is you need lime given the general location. You should get the water/soil tested.

TX
http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/

From the archives - Soil and water test links

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92617#Post92617

J
Joseph Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thank you very much everyone. Now I have alot to ponder,and discuss with my neighbor. I dought we are gonna do the timer feed, neither of us are rich, Ill probably just make a feed keeper and feed them when I can. I heard purina makes a pellet that has differant sizes for differant size fish, is it worth it, or a waste?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That's Purina Game Fish Chow. It's 32 % protien and is certainly good stuff.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Joseph...

As long as you feed at a consistent time by hand, a feeder isn't all that necessary. You just need to make sure you can fling it out far enough for the fish to get to. If you have any other questions, let us know.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

J
Joseph Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
"ppreciate it! We were tossing around the idea of catfish, we should probably wait to stock with cats until the bass are bigger right? Theneighbor said that he bought 150 4-8" LMB, a gang of minnows and bluegills. Im gonna try to do the bucket test this week, but I need to know how to properly deliver the ag lime into the water (if needed).

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Joseph...

As long as the catfish can't eat the bass you put in, they should be okay. Make sure you have enough forage for another predator though. The only issue I can think of would be that with feeding, your catfish are going to grow faster than the bass. However, I think you will be okay. As far as the lime goes, I haven't done it and haven't seen it done, but I am sure it has been discussed in the past. Do a search for applying lime in the archives and you should find what you need.

- Ancient Viking Proverb

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:27 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by esshup - 04/23/24 07:31 AM
1 year after stocking question
by Joeydickens93 - 04/23/24 07:21 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!