Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9
18,509 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,977
Posts558,147
Members18,510
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
17 members (Fishingadventure, RAH, Treebanger, catscratch, FireIsHot, Bigtrh24, jludwig, Theo Gallus, Sunil, nvcdl, phinfan, Boondoggle, lafarmpondguy, TEC, J. R., Jason D, Brandon Larson), 1,174 guests, and 168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Theo probably has some duct tape involved somewhere, so we know it's safe.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I had a Small heron recently, who was a plague, several times a day he visited and ate his way around the pond.
I have an air gun, but had failed to sight it in. I have an Aimpoint sight with the red dot. One day I saw the bird, grabbed the gun and cranked off a pellet, direct hit. The problem was the co2 was almost gone so the effect was to scare him off for a week, but no permanent damage. Upon his return I adjusted the sight with each shot slowly closing in on my prey, he would taunt me by fishing at the edge of the pond nearest me and would ignore my near misses.

Until today, ha, ha.

He was working the far end and hiding behnd the plants near the water, he would only show himself of a short period of time, milliseconds, then dash for cover. I followed his every movement, keeping the red dot on his head until he was clear then a slow squeeze of the trigger and clearly through the scope I could see the pellet strike the water 6" short of where he was standing. Worse was he didn't even flinch. I reloaded took careful aim and the shot hit an inch to the left of him at 70 yards. Concerned with my accuracy he flew to a tree 30 yards further out. I spotted him then turned to reload another pellet and lost sight of him. Oh, well I will pop a round through the tree and scare him out, I fired and couldn't see any leaves move, then took my eye from the scope and watched him fall from the tree.
Now, I don't know whether to feel bad or good.

Last edited by Rad; 05/24/08 10:50 AM.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Good story, Rad. As they say, better to be lucky than good. Feel good. You still have your best shot in you.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Feel bad for a while, say a quick good-bye to the fallen adversary, and place a notch on the rifle. Then re-load and PRACTICE ! More are coming !!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Eastland
Feel bad for a while, say a quick good-bye to the fallen adversary, and place a notch on the rifle. Then re-load and PRACTICE ! More are coming !!!

Yep just like nuisance weeds in your pond if you build it they will come!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
We had two of these guys passing through this weekend.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Shorty, what is that bird? Not a Great Blue Heron...is it a crane or egret?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I have a terrible problem with thhe GBH's. After a while, these birds get smart,very smart.

I believe, don't remember the actual facts as I heard this at a local, early morning coffee drinking establishment: a Sako 75 in 7mm/08 with Nosler ballistic tips was good medicine for wary blues.

Guy claimed to be shooting them at 200+ yards from his bathroom window-down to his pond. I took all of this with a grain of sugar. Think he also said something about a 3.5/10 Zeiss scope sighted in at +2" @100 and was getting 1/2 groups with factory loads.

But you know how all these fellers pumped up on caffeine like to stretch the truth!

Last edited by michauxii; 05/29/08 12:52 AM.

Plant Oak Trees!
Catch Tarpon!!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rad
I had a Small heron recently, who was a plague, several times a day he visited and ate his way around the pond.
I have an air gun, but had failed to sight it in. I have an Aimpoint sight with the red dot. One day I saw the bird, grabbed the gun and cranked off a pellet, direct hit. The problem was the co2 was almost gone so the effect was to scare him off for a week, but no permanent damage. Upon his return I adjusted the sight with each shot slowly closing in on my prey, he would taunt me by fishing at the edge of the pond nearest me and would ignore my near misses.

Until today, ha, ha.

He was working the far end and hiding behnd the plants near the water, he would only show himself of a short period of time, milliseconds, then dash for cover. I followed his every movement, keeping the red dot on his head until he was clear then a slow squeeze of the trigger and clearly through the scope I could see the pellet strike the water 6" short of where he was standing. Worse was he didn't even flinch. I reloaded took careful aim and the shot hit an inch to the left of him at 70 yards. Concerned with my accuracy he flew to a tree 30 yards further out. I spotted him then turned to reload another pellet and lost sight of him. Oh, well I will pop a round through the tree and scare him out, I fired and couldn't see any leaves move, then took my eye from the scope and watched him fall from the tree.
Now, I don't know whether to feel bad or good.

Now that's funny!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I had another green heron fly over this morning but he or she decided not to land after it saw me. (I was feeding the fish). There were two green herons. Not sure what happened to one of them. \:\/

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 12:31 PM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by jludwig - 05/02/24 12:24 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 12:02 PM
1/4 acre pond digging it Monday
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 12:00 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:25 AM
How much feed?
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:20 AM
Northern Midwesterner thinking of Tilapia
by esshup - 05/02/24 09:20 AM
Iris vs Pickerel