Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 838 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
[quote=Theo I'd find out for you, but there's a long standing Gallus family tradition to have nothing to do with sheep. We won't even wear those tall rubber boots.

Theo, I am not sure everyone has heard that joke. \:D
Sometimes the ones that fly under the radar are the best.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
Geez guys,the answer is sooooo obvius.If you have a bigger pond you have less grass to mow.Less grass=less gas.That saves more money.So we all need bigger ponds.Gonna run this by the boss...
....right after I get back from Rocky's this weekend

That is unless if you have a leech field of 100 by 400 feet in the front yard! \:\(

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/16/08 10:08 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Walker
3.79 I cross the river and buy it at 3.69 At the rate gas is going up and meat/mil prices are going up I think I'll sell my mower, buy some goat, let them keep the yard down, switch to goats milk, and search for recipes for goat. sigh

I've seriously considered sheep for my back yard where there are three ponds and it's a pain to mow anyway. I've got to finish fencing it in though. And how much does it cost to feed the sheep in the winter when there is no grass? You know if a farmer was a real entrepenuer he's rent out sheep for the summer to people with big fenced in acreage.

I don't think I'd want a goat. I hear they eat everything in sight.

Nothing there to eat George!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Walker
3.79 I cross the river and buy it at 3.69 At the rate gas is going up and meat/mil prices are going up I think I'll sell my mower, buy some goat, let them keep the yard down, switch to goats milk, and search for recipes for goat. sigh

I've seriously considered sheep for my back yard where there are three ponds and it's a pain to mow anyway. I've got to finish fencing it in though. And how much does it cost to feed the sheep in the winter when there is no grass? You know if a farmer was a real entrepenuer he's rent out sheep for the summer to people with big fenced in acreage.

I don't think I'd want a goat. I hear they eat everything in sight.

Nothing there to eat George!

Two pastures, two ponds, underbrush browse clean, pond banks manicured.
Two leased pastures, three stock tanks, all manicured.
Plenty to eat... \:\)
Goats are fantastic as long as I don't have to take care of them...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Holy Mackrel George. A quadruple quote - I think you may have set a record or something.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I had an interesting talk with the owner of a convenience/gas store this morning.

He told me that he paid $3.23 per gallon yesterday. Then, all of the associated taxes and fees come to another 42 cents per gallon. That puts his cost at $3.65. He is selling for $3.69. However, if a customer uses a Discover or AMEX credit card, he has to pay 5%. For Visa or MC, he has to pay 3%. OK, he loses money on gas and tries to make it up on the inside of the store.

I have no real idea of what makes up that 42 cents but I don't want to sell gas to a retail customer.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Regular grade is running $3.83-$3.90/gallon. Diesel is $4.85-$4.90/gallon.
Its like the lottery.....nobody wins so the price goes up every week.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Matt Wehland
Feed the goat/sheep over the winter?
Haven't you heard the term feeder pig/goat/sheep.
Feed them out over the summer and feast on/sell them in the fall.
Just buy a new one in the spring.
If you're not going to eat/sell it, it's a pet.

I think that diesel is expensive because of environmental concerns. It has been changing to low sulfur and now ultra low sulphur which takes more refining.
Diesel emissions are becoming more restrictive.
Engines are becoming more expensive/complicated now too.

Matt Wehland

I've never cared for the taste of lamb or sheep.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

I've never cared for the taste of lamb or sheep.

Cecil, you’ve never been hungry enough..

Don't flinch over an old geezer war story, but in WWII after the party was over, the only fresh meat available in South Pacific was New Zealand mutton - on rare occasions
You could smell it for a mile from the mess hall - never ate lamb since...

What does this have to do with the price of gasoline?
Adjusted for inflation, the current price of gasoline has just surpassed the price in the '80's....
\:\)

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Another geezer war story.....
WWII gasolene was rationed at 3 gallons a week - and we think we have it rough.
I would have traded my place of residence for the 3 gallons any day of the week...

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
They dont want to ration it now,they just want your paycheck instead \:o

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I was out bushogging today for several hours. Tomorrow I need to fill my little diesel tractor and the extra tank -- about 20 gallons total. My fuel-stingy tractor uses about a gallon per hour. Last time I filled up, it cost me about $40. It will cost me about $80 tomorrow.

That flock of goats and sheep is looking better and better.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ken, got any coyotes? I expect they will also vote for sheep and goats.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Another geezer war story.....
WWII gasolene was rationed at 3 gallons a week - and we think we have it rough.
I would have traded my place of residence for the 3 gallons any day of the week...

What we need is the right leadership in this country to get us to all work together like they did for the war effort in WWII. Wind power, solar power, drill oil in the Gulf of Mexico which the Cubans and Chinese are already, and for God's sake use the God given ingenuity this country has to come up with cars that get better milage and run on alternative energy. Did anyone know here that Europe already has diesel trucks that get about 40 mpg (converted from kpgs)?

If I could afford it I'd produce my own power from wind and solar and then invest in an electric car when they are available that I could charge every night by just pluging it in. (I work at home so I don't drive anywhere very far.)

Instead of dumping money all over the world the government could be subsidzing the infrastructure here to do this.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/17/08 09:32 PM.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Cecil

Great ideas and I 100% share your sentiments. In fact, I recently opened a new company [lawn maintenance] here in Lincoln NE called Eco Mow...we are 100% carbon neutral and use only biodiesel and electric equipment. We even charge the electric equipment using wind and solar REC's - leaving zero carbon footprint.

Biodiesel is fascinating stuff - we use B100 - that's all restuarant animal or vegetable waste grease - mix with methyl alcohol, and bingo - 100% renewable, domestic, and nearly pollutant free. It's also around 700 times more efficient than gasoline - so we convert gasoline mowers to biodiesel and sell them as well.

Might not be aware of this - the statistic blew me off my chair, but unregulated 2 and 4 cycle engines [mowers, trimmers, edgers, blowers] those typically associated with lawn maintenance are responsible for up to 12% of the US air pollution. It was high time someone did something - so I did. My kids are going to have to breathe the air we pollute today - so it just seemed the only thing I COULD do. Might want to research biodiesel - I honestly believe we can make a major impact using materials for fuel that are headed to the landfill....kinda Back to the Future-ish.....if you ever want to chat about it I'm an email away!

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
t57,

Yeah we'll have to chat. I have lots of ideas but no funds. LOL

I'd like to produce electricity from the 45 gpms I dump via gravity into the trout pond. Seems I could rig up a water powered paddle wheel and maybe store enough electricity to power my aerators at night.

Lunker
Lunker
Cecil

Anytime - I'm always open to share my ideas albeit I'm not much of a technical guy. As an business owner I certainly am not a bleeding heart left guy - but the condition of this planet is certainly something any human should care about - no matter which side of the political spectrum one finds himself. I'm just trying to change things one mind at a time - and with luck, it will snowball and clean burning alternative fuels [Hydrogen, Nuclear [sorta], Electric [sorta] biodiesel] will become commonplace and I can go back to driving my V-8 engines without hearing it from my wife daily.

If you look around RE solar or gravity sourced power on the web I would bet you could find a forum where you could postulate this plan and get with guys just as informed and helpful as on Pondboss. I, for one, would be VERY interested in learning what you get rolling as I have 90 gpm rolling down to my ponds and would very much like to harness that energy.

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 05/19/08 08:31 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Regular is 3.67- 3.70 here. Off road diesel is 4.09. I've got our goats cleaning up around the pond and I'm running my Kubota off of used vegetable oil, that I collect from work. I've got a biodiesel processor in the works and looking for a used older diesel Pickup.
I'm looking seriously at solar. I have a friend who designs systems for yachts, so I'm going to try to see how much marine technology I can adapt.

Lunker
Lunker
Sullpond

That's really good to hear. What would you estimate your cost/gallon is for biodiesel after production? Are you seeing a significant increase in efficiency vs. gasoline? How about "dirty" diesel? I have researched solar cars a little bit but would be very welcome to any information your search yields.

Please keep me in the loop!!!

TJ

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Deisel fuel hit 4.50 a gollon this morning

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Im so mad I cant type or spell this morning

I subscribe

Lunker
Lunker
HI Tom

I know...it's outrageous and I don't know where it's going to end. Everything within arms reach of you, wherever you are right now, is due to diesel fuel. We can manage without unleaded - biking, mass transit, work from satellite home office, have groceries delivered....it would be a pain, but we could survive.

But everything - electricity, food, your PC, paper, - EVERYTHING depends on diesel to get to the consumer. It's a sobering realization - we are entirely dependent on diesel fuel. Without it, everything would crumble.

Do you live anywhere near a fast food joint? Ever think about becoming 100% self sufficient by producing your own biodiesel?

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Sullpond

That's really good to hear. What would you estimate your cost/gallon is for biodiesel after production? Are you seeing a significant increase in efficiency vs. gasoline? How about "dirty" diesel? I have researched solar cars a little bit but would be very welcome to any information your search yields.

Please keep me in the loop!!!

TJ

Hey TJ,
I'm not finished my biodiesel processor yet so I can't give a cost analysis. I'm currently using waste veggie oil in my tractor and have mixed it with my #2 fuel oil to help heat the house. I filter everything numerous times, so I haven't had any trouble yet. Veggie oil has slightly less energy when burned than diesel, so I have to run my tractor at higher rpms to achieve the same result, but it's not enough to bother me. The tractor smells like French fries so I have to stop more often to eat.

I'll keep you posted.
Tim

Lunker
Lunker
Tim

Nice website, btw. I like what you're doing - am a very novice when it comes to cheese but I know I like it - too much. Very cool setup you have going down there.

Let me know on the biodiesel. One of my business partners from a company I recently acquired can help you with the biodiesel production - for free of course!

Let me know if you are serious about getting things set up - you could be burning B100 and there's ZERO loss of power and it's 78% cleaner burning that diesel or gasoline which sounds like a motivating factor for you too.

Let me know and I would be happy to hook you up.

TJ

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Gas hit $4.09 here yesterday. Diesel $4.59 I think its time to crunch the numbers for a motorcycle again. At this rate buying extra life insurance to ride a death pony is cheaper than gas.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...