Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,698
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 449 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
I am preparing to order my first stocking for this spring. I have a 2 acre pond in Southern IN which I will stock 750 BG fingerlings, 250 Red Ear fingerlings and 8 pounds of fatheads.

NOW, here is my question -- what size to stock:
I can get the 3-4 inch BG for not a whole lot more than the 1-2 inch --is there an upside to when these larger BG can spawn????????? (Bass fingerlings will go in next May).

Also, the pond will have a ½ horse aerator with 3 diffusers and 2 feeders –so does this stocking plan sound appropriate?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I like the 3-4 inch idea. Better chance of surviving and reproducing. My personal belief is that you are maybe a year early on the bass stocking. I don't believe your forage base will be established by May.

D
D
Are there any fish currently in the pond? If so, consider contacting your local game warden to set up a fish kill so you can start fresh. Summer is the best time to do a fish kill. If you do not do a fish kill, you may be buying some very expensive bass food.

Do you want a bream (sunfish, perch, panfish) pond or a sport fish pond? This question is very important. I chose a pan fish pond because I have plenty of access to bass ponds in my area.

Are you willing to let the state game commission stock the pond? If so, they may require anyone fishing on the pond to have a fishing license. Check on it before you buy fish.

You must also prep the pond by providing some cover for the babies, fish laying areas (brush piles) for the perch, flat surfaces for fathead minnow nests (wood pallets work great), also consider screening the inlet and most definately screen the overflows (1/4 mesh).

After all that, ensure your pH and alkalinity is correct. If this is a new pond, buy some minnows and verify they can live in the water (move the minnow bucket around to different spots).

Now you are ready to stock.

As for stocking numbers, I like to go to Dunns Fish Farm of Arkansas for some good information and also review the recommendations on previous questions on Pond Boss. As for size, the bigger the better but cost can add up rapidly.

Also, after you stock, keep an eye on fish eating birds and run them off as much as possible. Never kill a fish eating bird without state gamewarden permission, the fines can be awsome.

These recommendations are just that, free advice and you get what you pay for.

Purchase the largest you can afford.

400 Hybred Coppernose
400 Redear
400 Highbred Blue Gill
100 Channel Cat
10 pounds of fathead minnows.

In a year, evaluate and adjust. If you want sport fish, add sport fish a year after establishing a good base of pan fish.

Good luck, :p

Dennis
L
OP Offline
L
I should have made my dates clear. The panfish and fatheads go in this spring and the bass in the spring of 2006. It is a brand spankin new pond that filled in November 2004. Thanks for the ideas.

Bigger sounds better.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
"Hybred Coppernose"....never heard of those.

Little Dog,

You have a good plan...maybe add a few more pounds of fatheads...but stay away from hybrid BG.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Little Dog, The BIG DAWG, Bob Lusk, recommends 1,000 bluegills or coppernoses and redears per acre at an 80/20 mix. Add 4 or 5 lbs. of fatheads per acre. I might recommend Bob's book Raising Trophy Bass. You can get it on the home page here. It pretty well brings everything into perspective. I would also subscribe to the magazine. You can ask for a free copy to evaluate.

Under no circumstances stock hybrid bluegills. They are a cross between a bluegill and green sunfish. They do not provide the needed forage base and they have a large mouth so they compete with your predators. That ain't good. In other words, they don't give, they just take. They also get no larger than a plain bluegill or coppernose. The only people who like them are the hatcheries because they travel well in a truck. They offer absolutely no advantage to you.

Channel cats are a great fish but at two or so pounds, they become top line predators. You need to fish them out and restock. Nothing at all wrong with that idea. I have to admit, I'm still trying to catch them out of my place. One I caught weighed 7 pounds.

Waiting a year to stock bass is a great idea. I've always felt that you should stock bass when they can fall asleep with an open mouth and wake up with a full belly.

Oh yeah, a couple of years down the road, keep up with what some of these guys are doing with tilapia.

Keep your checkbook handy and don't lie to your wife about this stuff. You're gonna get caught.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob Lusk's book is worth every penny.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
L
OP Offline
L
Dave -- I honestly did LOL! She is already starting to remind me that this pond is costing much more then initial construction.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Little Dog: Even before goals, I think the most important question is how much time, effort and money you expect to put into your lake every year. Aerators and feeders all cost money on a continuing basis. It's like buying a car and not expecting to spend any more on gas, oil, maintenance etc.

If you plan on having a general purpose lake, then I think there is a place for hybrid bluegills. Everyone seems to think it is all or nothing. You can make 10-20% of your bluegills be hybrids. You're still going to have plenty of bluegills to reproduce. You just have to remember that you'll probably have to keep restocking hybrids that are big enough to survive predation.

Norm Kopecky
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I sell fish and I'm here to tell you save the money and buy smaller bluegill if you are not going to stock bass until next spring. I would however stock 800 bg and 200 re per acre. Thne stock 50-100 bass per acre if you want a decenet bream/bass pond. The bluegill will be spawning size this year easily. A bluegill only has to be 3.5 inches to spawn. I agree with Dave D you want to have as much fish as possible but you will have that by stocking the smaller redear and bluegill by this spring. Good luck and enjoy!

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Little Dog...you have an exciting project. Nothing takes the place of due diligence. I have some thoughts for you. First, be sure you have clear cut goals in place. Then, design a stocking and management plan to accomodate those goals. As editor of Pond Boss magazine, and a 25 year private fisheries biologist, I have had the honor and privilege to help people design, build, stock and manage many private lakes and ponds.
In southern Indiana, I would stock the following fish, if your goals are to achieve a balanced bass/bluegill fishery. Stock 500-1,000 bluegill with 5 pounds of fathead minnows per acre. After the designated wait, stock 50-100 bass per acre. Base your decision on goals. Want bass to mature sooner? Stock the bigger numbers. Stock larger bluegill if you intend to stock bass early this summer or fall. Plus, if you stock the bigger bluegill, stock only 350-750 per acre. If you intend to stock bass in a year, stock the smaller bluegill. Study management techniques such as feeding and fertilizing, then use what's appropriate.
I know one of the posts recommends Dunn's. But, I would be remiss not to add these thoughts. Pond Boss magazine and I have serious philosophical differences with Dunn's. I have approached them on more than one occasion, (by invitation of their marketing man) and my pleas have not been answered. Therefore, until they address our concerns, I won't recommend anyone do business with them.
I think you need to find a supplier or consultant nearby, while learning as much as you can. As much as I like coppernose bluegill, southern Indiana is not a good spot for them. Too cold. Look for bluegill native to your neck of the woods. Your concerns about fish suppliers may be a tad overcautious, and if you learn what you need to, you can protect your agenda from that of fish salesmen. Decide what you want, then go get it. Most of all, have lots of fun. That's why you built your pond.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks so much everyone – this site is wonderful. I can’t imagine the mistakes I would have made had I not found you good folks!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?