Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Hey Guys, remember me? I have really missed this place. I couldn't stand the "Pond Boss" torture once I sold my property & pond and I became an outsider. STOP and take the time to "smell the roses", you are all very fortunate to have and manage a pond.

I'm now over my Pond Envy and will return as a regular around here, financing is in place and the new project begins in 2 weeks ! My new property (80 acres) has approximately 170-210 acres of watershed, it will be interesting to watch things develop. Large rainfalls will let in a lot of water fast, it will need to exit just the same at full pool. I have an older 1/3 acre pond upstream that will act as a silt trap. The silt trap pond has an interesting design because it was build to flow the water horizontally over a 500 foot area and exit back uphill, there are several areas along the dam area that have been breached, but it has roughly 7 feet of freeboard space so the water must reach pretty high levels when the breaches occur. It’s probably 40-50 years old and could be expanded to an acre given the design, but I’m electing to clear and build below it. Here is the silt pond at full pool, it's generally 3 feet lower than this. The picture is looking back up the watershed area, the spillway exit is at the upper left.

Bulldozers will begin rolling in approx 2 weeks on the new pond, I will take pictures and post them as things progress. This project will be different than my first building experience, I have a lot of watershed, but only a 5% gently rolling slope which will require a lot more dirt displacement. I plan on financing the development thru multiple stages and will elaborate more after we clear the initial site.

It was great news to read there's a 2nd PB Convention this year! I will be there and look forward to seeing everyone and meeting all the new members that have arrived !

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Welcome back Eastland!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
About time. How is the hunting?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Damn glad to hear from ya, Eastland!
Whoa...this is gonna be a cool project. 80 acres provides plenty of room for a guy to get in trouble....spend dough, too.
-
How does the backwards silt pond drain after it exits the spillway? A creek that winds around the outside, I presume?
-
Is the entire 80 ac wooded?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
WELCOME HOME........

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good to have you back!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Lunker
Welcome back. That's a really nice view.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Wondered where you'd been.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
No place like home !! Any fish in the silt pond?

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Eastland, Welcome back, that is one nice looking silt pond!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome back and beautiful place! What county is the property in?

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow Eastland, that is the silt pond??? Dang look beautiful to me.

I'll be at the convention. Hope to see you there.

Welcome back!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Wow Eastland, that is the silt pond??? Dang look beautiful to me.

I'll be at the convention. Hope to see you there.

Welcome back!

Couldnt say it any diferrent.See you at the convention

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
welcome back Eastland. Nice looking silt pond!

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Thanks for the welcome, it's great to be back ! Answered in the order received \:\)

CB, you are coming down for PB2 right ?

Dave, I saw several nice bucks during bow season, then a lot of does. My Pop missed a freak 5 cull, that was the only shot fired. I'm still evaluating the population.

B'ski...lol, I have about enough $$$ left over to build on 1 or two ! I'll try not to kill myself on the remaining acres \:\)

George, you are a true friend, and I will build my new pond deep enough for some HSB too !

Bruce, you probably need to focus your attention on the equipment you will be using at the PB2 convention, you were a stand up comic my friend...you did recover very well, plus your swaggar made you look pretty cool in the end.

Theo, I will never be able to take you serious after those pics about sinking pond structure...priceless \:\)

Sunil, That does look like you drinking those imports, they really put the weight though...you look almost good to go for another 6.

Eric, you flat out rock, thanks for giving me one of Bob's PB T-Shirts at the last convention ! Oops, hope I didn't get you in trouble \:\) I put in 100 CNBG, 100 RE, 100 CC & 5LB GS. LBM in the 6" range are also present. With the watershed and the new pond being downstream, they will get in...I plan on a fast paced BG stocking plan (with tilapia, GS, & threadfins) to try to offset their presence.

Dwight, you really need to think about coming down for the convention...it should be a blast!

Davatsa, It's in Brown County Texas...if you look at a picture of the State, it's just about smack dab in the middle.

Jeff, it only looks that good because the water level was up, it's generally 8 ft. deep, and the weeds got very thick toward the end of last summer.

Tom, likewise...bring pics of your pond if you can ! When we had a small meeting at the DFW Airport (about 14 PB peeps), the pictures were the easiest things to discuss in such a short amount of time.

BarO, I hate to disagree, but the future TX Private HSB record will go to the guy who bought my property !!! Yikes \:\)

I have many other friends out here and I can't wait to hear how everyone has progressed...I'm assuming you all have close to 100% Relative Weights, right ? \:\)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images