Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
7 members (Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 772 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I don't think any one source of food is good exclusively. My comment was as a supplement , especially pre winter , for pellet feeding fish. I will try to locate the physiological explanation of the problem with cold water pond predator fish with low or the wrong type of lipid source.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I couldn't help myself..

I just had to photograph one of the better bluegill that's being raised indoors this winter.

This particular fish will be a big player in the reproduction phase this spring and summer. He's certainly not the heaviest, but he's the best overall body condition and desired traits that I've seen. There are others that are over an ounce bigger, but I like this guy.

I would love it if somebody can tug on Dr. Dave's sleeve so he can glance at this too.

What do you guys think? For the non-metric people, he's about 10.5 ounces, and at 8.25 inches that's pretty stout.

Wr is 140 I believe

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nice! But I can see the pale liver right through the skin.

Just kidding!

Well the pond with the Condello gills in a cage is ice free now. I removed three floaters, but the water is not clear enough to see to the bottom if there are any laying on the bottom. I'll have work on that later. Even if there are twice or three times that many that didn't make it, that's still not bad for 180 some fish.

In a cage in another pond where it's predominantly yellow perch I had two bluegill morts.

It may be the smaller holding ponds are not good for overwintering cage fish that are slightly less than four feet down in the water column. It may be since they are small ponds they cool down fast which is stressful. I had three ice ups and thaws this winter and between them there were high winds and temps in the teens before the ponds froze back up. May have super chilled the water. Max depth in the ponds is 7 to 9 feet depending on which pond.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker

Note the long, stocky body, small head, and purplish (non-breeding season) coloration. By design or accident, Bruce's BG are developing a certain characteristic "look".

(No, FMcB, not THAT kind of "look".)

Excellent specimen, Bruce. Going on 2 years old?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I like the body shape! Look at that steep head on the male bluegill, even at "only" 8.25 inches.

Dr. Bruce, I think the Wr is closer to 141. \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yes, almost 21 months old.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Love that lavender. He wont have any trouble getting the girls to donate to his nest.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Theo,

Did you mean the lavender is a nonbreeding color? If so I have seen it on breeding fish. Besides Bruce's beauties I've seen it on Lake St. Clair bluegills during breeding season. Now there's a big, big lake that has some incredible bluegill and yellow perch! Also known for musky!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/19/08 10:56 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I have lavender breeders. Color is an interesting trait. There are some very good posts here on the subject. NOTE THE COLOR CHANGE IN BRUCE'S CSBG IN THE SHORT TIME PERIOD OF THE 2 PICS. Like this color ?

Same fish - pics 5 seconds apart

Last edited by ewest; 03/19/08 11:23 AM.

Lunker
Lunker
Cecil:

I meant that CSBG tend to be lavender (even) when they are NOT in breeding coloration mode.

I see that color on some of my BG, but ONLY in breeding season and never so much of it. (Of course, I never see as much of one af my BG as you can see of Bruce's, since they're so freakishly large.)

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 03/19/08 01:23 PM. Reason: Felt like using the word "freakishly"

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
O.K. that's what I thought you meant.

You know what I think? I think Bruce puts grape KoolAide in the water! \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've wondered a few times if when I choose each years "breeders" if I'm not subconsciously picking for some other characteristics. Like color, or body shape. I would think that by the time I get to twenty generations that my bluegill will........

Look exactly like redears.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
I've wondered a few times if when I choose each years "breeders" if I'm not subconsciously picking for some other characteristics. Like color, or body shape. I would think that by the time I get to twenty generations that my bluegill will........

Look exactly like redears.

I hope not. I prefer bluegills over redears. Oops sorry!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm no Bruce Condello, but I'm happy to report that our BG are doing well in their little pond. Despite overcrowded conditions, they are in surprisingly good body shape.

I apologize for not getting the full body in the picture. I'm still working on the whole "point and click" thing.

We caught another one that appears to have the typical yellow grubs. Do y'all think it could be anything else? We do have RES in that pond, but obviously not enough to prevent this sort of thing.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
davatsa that is one round well conditiond fish. Where did it come from?

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I'll answer for him...The "nasty" pond we discussed a month or so ago. We have taken 70-80 out and put in other ponds.
edit Must be spring, Pond Bossing at office in middle of the day...lol

Last edited by ahvatsa; 03/20/08 10:57 AM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Are they from Todd or another source ? There are a few of us not on spring break - kinda ! \:D

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
ewest,

"Spring Break" = one of the few thrills of still being a student.

On the other hand, I'm actually PAYING (good money, btw) to be tortured at school. That just doesn't make sense. At least those of you with real jobs are the ones GETTING PAID when you feel like you're being tortured.

To answer your question, about half the BG are from Todd Overton, while the other half are from Herrmann's Fish Farm (Robstown, Texas). We've chosen to mix our genetics with LMB and BG, so far with good results.

We did stock some CNBG and RES with the BG, I'm guessing at a ratio of 5:2:1 (BG, RES, CNBG). We have yet to see a CNBG.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa

I am not kidding you--that bluegill is an absolute PIGGIE! I'd be personally very proud of that fish.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Oink, Oink!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Early "helmet" formation on 23 month old CSBG...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Who is that on the other side of the pond ?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow nice bluegill there Davatsa!

Bruce,

I'm happy to say the Condello bluegills are doing fine in the ponds and feeding well in either pond they are in. Many of the males are right in there with the yellow perch feeding like maniacs on the sinking hydrated feed, while some seem to have set up shop closer to shore possibly in preparation for spawning. The females are in a 5 by 5 foot cage and seem to be looking out forelornly at the other fish through the 1 1/4 inch mesh.

I have about 7 of your females and 2 of mine along with 4 of your males and 4 of mine in the breeding pond with the yellow perch fry. Hopefully I will have my perch so conditioned on feed by then they will not be interested in eating too many of the bluegill offspring. I may get the smallies off to Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas in time to put some bluegill breeders in that pond just in case. That was the plan originally but plans change.

Man I pulled a bluegill out of the holding pond today that had to be shaped like a dinner plate and just as big. Wish I would have gotten a picture. I probably should have put him in the breeder pond, but I put him in the monastery along with the other only male only bluegills. I'd like to see him come up at feeding time as my water is still crystal clear in that pond.

I had a wholesale buyer for an extra bluegills, but my contact there no longer works there. (Former owner's daughter) The new owner says most of his customers are only interested in the hybrids. Riiiiiiight.. . Just the opposite of what his former employee said. Funny my phone used to ring off the hook with people looking for "regular" bluegills.

No problem. I'll market them myself as premium bluegills. I thought after I cross them with mine I'll call them the Condello B. strain. What do you think? Or maybe I should call them Nebraska Giants.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Who is that on the other side of the pond ?

MJ

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
...I'll market them myself as premium bluegills. I thought after I cross them with mine I'll call them the Condello B. strain. What do you think? Or maybe I should call them Nebraska Giants.

You can call them anything you want--just don't call them late for dinner. ;\)

Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images