Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 26 1 2 3 4 25 26
Weissguy #111265 03/12/08 08:19 PM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
9. Storm Shelter

After the town of Greensburg, KS was all but destroyed (90%) by a tornado, my dad began thinking about a place to hide during a severe storm. They say, "you can run, but you can't hide". In the case of a tornado, "you can't run, but you can hide". So if the big one hits, and we're at the farm, we'll hide.......

Here are some photos of Jerry Donner and Company setting in the storm shelter, which they built for us.

Last edited by Scott Krehbiel; 03/21/08 07:29 PM.
Weissguy #111267 03/12/08 08:27 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i just read this thread, dittos to all the envious kudos above, and thanks alot for sharing this story scott, very impressive.

i hope you find great resources here to help keep things going with the fish and water quality.

GSF are people too!

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Thanks, Dave. Yes, fish and water quality is very important to us. We've found the web site and magazine invaluable. Mike Otto came up to Kansas and helped us design it, and Shawn Banks is our pond consultant. We've made various blunders, but I guess it's part of the process. As far as tree planting goes, I'd rather not start a post, as our survival rate is less than 10%......... Scott

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow! Mike Otto and Shawn Banks! That's like starting a basketball team with LeBron James and Kobe Bryant.

Nice job. I'm really enjoying the photo show. First class all the way.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
10. Fun - the aftermath

Family gatherings, birthdays parties, boys weekends, etc, etc, etc,.....

Last edited by Scott Krehbiel; 03/12/08 09:40 PM.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Scott:

Ain't it amazing the things a person (or family) can find to simply waste away the hours around a pond? I find myself hanging out all summer long, just STANDIN' AROUND.

My wife constantly tells me to just slow down...relax. She finally sees why I built our two ponds. That's the only place where I can actually just sit around and soak it all in.

REALLY cool that you are able to share in this fantastic playground with your kids AND your dad.

Congrats...beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

Matt Clark #111438 03/13/08 10:11 PM
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Scott -

You mentioned having issues with tree survival rates. Sometimes we learn best by learning what NOT to do, so do you mind sharing with us why you believe you had such a low (I believe you mentioned 10%) survival rate?

I will be planting about 500 native bareroot trees (seedlings) this spring, so I am knee deep in research on the subject... and apreciate any input you might have.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Matt Clark #111542 03/14/08 05:01 PM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Matt- agreed. I'll just drive to the farm to be there for one or two hours. My dad will go down there and trim trees. He loves it. It's about a 40 minute drive door-to-door. When I'm there, I just de-stress and wind down.........wierd that trimming trees is fun and relaxing, but it's true!

Scott

Weissguy #111548 03/14/08 06:09 PM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Weissguy- OK... Here is a text book example of what NOT to do.

IDEA:

We bought approximately 400 bare root seedlings from Kansas State University. They all arrived perfect. We then proceeded to try to plant all 400 in a single weekend (or two). We invited friends to the farm for the ‘tree planting’ party. Great on paper, not so good in practice.

Some were planted too deep and some not deep enough (roots exposed). Apparently, with seedlings you have to be precise with the depth when planting. Lots of the planting took place around where the lake shoreline had been dug out and it was pure topsoil. Weeds overtook these areas, thus crowding out the seedlings. We didn’t have the resources or time to water any of the trees. Seemed like a good idea to purchase 400 trees since they were so cheap………….or were they?

RESULT:

Most trees died. Only the ‘A’ Alphas made it. All pines died. Cottonwoods lived provided they had 100% sun and a water source near. The cottonwoods that had both water and sun, but were surrounded by weeds/tall grass died. A few (the A trees) made it, but had to fight so hard to get above weeds that they are so flimsy and tall they need to be staked/tied down.

We had really good luck with the Bald Cypruss on the islands. We kept the grass mowed and they found water, as we planted them around the edges. They are doing really well (80% survival).

Also, the eastern red cedars have done really well. They haven’t grown much, but have managed to live despite being engulfed in the grass/weeds.

MOVING FORWARD:

Last year we planted 10 trees. This year we are going to plant 20.

We’re buying less and giving more care. No weeds. Water source.

The trees don’t take a ton of work, but require some. We gave the initial 400 none.

It seems so basic, but we overlooked it.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Krehbiel; 03/14/08 06:13 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Scott -- have you run into that "fabric" technique for tree planting? That really keeps out the weeds and grass. You still need water, but at least you don't have to cultivate.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Dave Willis #111720 03/17/08 06:31 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Scott, that reminds me of something an arborist once told me. It is better to plant a 50 cent tree in a $5 hole than it is to plant a $5 tree in a 50 cent hole.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Theo Gallus #111780 03/17/08 02:30 PM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
I finally got time to look at ALL the pictures. Fantastic!

I thought Kansas was flat with no rocks - you've got a nice elevation change to work with there (envy). How big did the big pond end up?

I drove this weekend from N. Oklahoma to Ft. Riley, Kansas this weekend (hope you all felt safer, I was on Army Reserve Duty!). I was actually surprised myself to see that there is a lot of rock around KS, topsoil is only a foot deep or so and the old farms all have stone foundations and/or buildings on them. Even some really old stone walls are still around.

Shawn

Svoberts #111783 03/17/08 02:56 PM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I also tried the "mass planting" method. I might still have one or two trees out of 5-600 attempts. I am going to try fewer trees of better quality this year, that I can focus on and baby along.

Shawn

Dave Willis #111864 03/18/08 08:28 AM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Dave- we tried the fabric technique to kep weeds out, but the black fabric got hot and fried lots of the trees. The muclh blew off the plastic and left it exposed.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Krehbiel; 03/18/08 08:30 AM.
Svoberts #111865 03/18/08 08:33 AM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Svoberts- we're located in the far eastern part of the state where there is way less rock. The central and southeatern part of the state by Fort Riley is in the Flint Hills which is much rockier. They also get far less rain.

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
11. Spillway
I forgot to add pictures of the spillway. It has an 18 inch pipe. Additionally, there is a 6 inch pipe with a hand lever to let water out of the pond if it needs to be drained. We currently have been using this feature a lot. We keep lowering the level of the pond (approximately four feet) so we can pour the foundation for the cabin. However, it keeps raining and filling back up! It's been so wet that we can't get the equipment in there to start. The forecast looks good for the next week so we are crossing our fingers.

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Finally, a break in the weather! We have lowered the lake four feet and now only 50% of the surface area remains. This was very frustrating as we would lower it and then get rain and it would fill right back up. It took almost a month to get a break in the weather.

Jerry Donner came in and had his team push dirt out even further by creating a mini dam. We want to get the cabin surrounded by as much water as possible (shooting for 90%).

Once that was done, we spent the weekend pumping out the area as there was a small leak in the mini-dam.

Monday, the work started.

The site was then measured, trenches dug, and the foundation poured.

Here is the current status. Scott

Last edited by Scott Krehbiel; 03/26/08 06:51 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A well orchestrated attack. All the right equipment. A very impressive and ambitious plan. Well done.
Tell us more about the foundation plan. Stuff like: Will all the footers be below the normal pool elevation; is the plan to pour walls that reach above the emergency spillway elevation and then frame up from there; what are going to be supported by the stepped footers?

Brettski #113235 03/27/08 05:43 PM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Brettski-
We're going to put a 5' deck surrounding the cabin. Deck level is 3ft above spillway and around 1’ 10” above emergency spillway. The width of the emergency spillway is double or triple normal. The foundation walls range from 8 ft to 3ft with about 60% at the three foot height. All footers are below normal pool elevation and the foundation wall top is 2’6” above normal pool elevation. Foundation work will be finalized tomorrow and that is a big relief. With rain in the forecast, this thing can fill up fast!

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
OK. Foundation is complete. Once the forms were taken off, we applied a foundation water sealant since the foundation will be in constant contact with water. This crazy goop stuff was like tar. We spent an entire day applying it with rollers and were basically covered from head to toe in the crap. It required about a 1/4 inch layer. Later that night, I called my Dad and asked if he had been in the shower and he responded, "Hell yes"! I then asked if he had any luck getting the stuff off and he responded, "Hell no"!

After the foundation sealant had dried, we brought in Jerry Donner Services for the dirt work. We packed the area where the footers meet the foundation walls with clay on both the inside and outside. We then filled the inside of the foundation with clay and dirt. We will cover the dirt with a few inches of gravel. Tommorow we will continue and hopefully be finished with the dirt work. Then onto the construction of the cabin.

Scott

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
The lake is now 6" from being full. We finished filling the foundation with clay and gravel. The exterior is packed with clay as well. We are putting a 10' strip of plastic around the side walls and covering it with gravel. We started and almost completed the north wall on Sunday (photo). It was back breaking work, so we're going to recruit some friends to help this weekend with the south wall. We've got a tractor, but it's tough running the gravel out in 5 gallon buckets 10'. We're also going to run the 10' gravel strip from the cabin to our gravel beach (about 50 yards). SHould be good for wading out and also bluegill spawning areas.

The center beam has been placed on the foundation. Thursday, our builder is going to begin putting in the floor joists. They are going to hang over the exterior of the foundation 5 feet so we can put a deck on it.

Scott

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hoorah! Nothing like seeing some LVLs getting placed that close to water!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #116330 04/22/08 01:04 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Scott,
This project really intrigues me. Thanks for the progress pics and reports.
-
I don't want to ASSume anything, but is there a sump pit to remove any possible seepage?

Brettski #116419 04/23/08 04:54 AM
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Scott
You and your dad have done a great job. Thanks for the pic. and follow ups. The story usually goes like this. The lake will be here long after the house is gone BUT NOT THIS TIME.

Otto

otto #117774 05/05/08 10:06 PM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Thanks Mike. You gave us some good ideas and guidance. We truly appreciate you coming up.

Lyle & Scott

Page 2 of 26 1 2 3 4 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??