Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#103641 12/20/07 09:34 AM
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I remember the forum being pretty slow after the software upgade a few months back, but things eventually went through OK. With this server I have to log on twice every time and a post may or may not go through, but either way I have to close all browsers and re-connect twice again after trying. I'm definately no programmer, but it sounds more software related than hardware, especially since search and links don't work properly after the software upgrade....Just my 2 cents. I know it is being worked on and you guys do a great job!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Rainman, I don't think the issue is hardware related. To me it seems to be software. Time will tell once they go to the dedicated servers. So don't drink the Kool-aid!!!! I personally think that this is a very bad business decision from the powers at Pondboss to allow this issue to continue. I just hope that this is not a lame way of turning this into a pay site.

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I don't see any underlying conspiracy here, or bad decision. I am always amazed at the VERY educated information that is shared here by so many that make a living doing this very thing, albeit way over my head far too often. I can say I have learned lots of cool new words and acronyms here too!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Now, now, Tim be nice. It's free! But of course you're entitled to your opinion.

Could be worse though. One of my favorite poltical sites has not be accessible for three days now. I don't have the emails of any of the participants so I can't email them and see if they are having the same problem. I hoping it's just temporary, but don't know what I will do if the site is permanently down due to a hacker or something!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Tim Stuart
I personally think that this is a very bad business decision from the powers at Pondboss to allow this issue to continue. I just hope that this is not a lame way of turning this into a pay site.

I don't know you at all Tim so perhaps I'm miss reading what your intended point is but I think that statement is a little harsh. This forum cannot be a money making proposition. If the powers that be only wanted to derive income from a website then they would not have an attached forum, they would just have a traditional information/shopping website. Forums rarely make ANY money. Even forums that require an annual fee. Software and upgrades cost money, computers cost money and internet bandwidth cost money.

This forum has been a blessing for me and I'll bet a lot of other pond meisters as well. I have learned so much on this forum and have had access to pond gurus and industry professionals that I would probably never even known existed had it not been for this site. Not to mention meeting all of the interesting and fun folks to boot.

I have no official capacity (or unofficial for that matter) with this forum, or Pond Boss or any vendor but I gotta tell ya if it were up to me and it was either charge an annual fee or have the forum suffer as it has then I would charge an annual fee.

A car forum that I use to belong to suffered the same dilemma. Eventually they went to a voluntary contribution. No one was forced to contribute but if you did a line appeared below your name that said something like "Forum Supporter." They had Supporter, Silver Supporter and Gold Supporter depending upon your level of contribution (I suppose if you were really active you would receive an Athletic Supporter designation :). Anyway this system worked and the forum survived and thrived. And as I have stated before this lowly member would gladly pay an annual fee to have access to this great resource.

But that is just one lowly member's opinion.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Ditto Jhap

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
All I want to add is that I am so thankful this forum is here.

The fact that it is free to all of us just blows me away every day.

Last edited by Sunil; 12/20/07 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Guys, Do not take me wrong on my quote. I think this place is the best thing since sliced bread.The reason I feel this decision is bad and feel the need to speak out about it is you only have 1 chance to make a first impression to possible new members. With new members this site continues to grow. (think about as if you were shopping for a car)On the other side of that coin the problems has caused established members to turn there head also. But with my professional background I am well aware of the cost that are involved. I realize this website can not continue to be a charity site with the cost of hardware, software , bandwidth, and administration cost the way they are these days. But the way to cover that cost is through advertisements. Pondboss has gotten a lot publicity over the past year and I think they should be capitalizing from it. Just yesterday Mr. Lusky was on a TV program on RFDTV called Animal Makeover it took me 20 minutes to throw a alert into the forum. Now think if that was a possible new member that was watching the the program and had came to the website/forum for more information that person would be lost forever.

My comments are not meant to be hurtful or derogatory in any way. I feel there has been enough time passed to get though this issue and just maybe there has not been enough focus on the problem.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Tim Stuart
I feel there has been enough time passed to get though this issue and just maybe there has not been enough focus on the problem.

That just proves how addicted you are to Pond Boss. \:D

To anyone interested, there are great FREE forum softwares available out there. My personal favorite is called PHPBB, and here's a sample forum: (disregard the color and font... they're flexible)

http://sixfiles.com/forum/general-offtopic-f3.html

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
JHAP,Did I miss something lately? I too have been having some difficultys getting on and posting but Im dealing with it cause this is such a great and informative sight.I dont remember you posting such a serious post without any wisecracks.Please reinsetr humer,thats part of the reason I visit here......
MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
JHAP,Did I miss something lately? I too have been having some difficultys getting on and posting but Im dealing with it cause this is such a great and informative sight.I dont remember you posting such a serious post without any wisecracks.Please reinsetr humer,thats part of the reason I visit here......
MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody

Sorry Tom and I also apologize to Tim (I didn’t mean for my post to sound so harsh). I have just been diagnosed with Pond Boss Malfunction Syndrome. This is no joking matter as Pond Boss Malfunction Syndrome (commonly referred to as PBMS) affects thousands of Pond Meisters.

PBMS symptoms include:
• mood swings
• irritability
• depression
• anxiety
• angry outbursts
• confusion or fuzzy thinking
• tearfulness
• fatigue
• insomnia
• changes in libido
• overeating
• cravings, especially for salty or sweet foods
• alcohol intolerance
• acne
• hives
• bloating
• weight gain
• headaches
• breast swelling and pain
• edema (visible swelling, particularly in the hands, feet and legs)
• asthma
• sinus problems
• sore throat
• worsening of chronic conditions like arthritis and ulcers
• difficulty with coordination, being more prone to accidents
• dizziness, decreased balance
• heart pounding (palpitation)
• nausea
• fainting
• urinary problems

My wife is really getting tired of my behavior. The other day I was just sitting in a corner of my office blubbering uncontrollably. When my wife asked what was wrong all I could say is “can’t log on, can’t post, I feel so fat and ugly.” I’m not in the mood lately to whisper in her ear about Red Ear Sunfish and Aeration and forget about any naughty spawning banter. The doctors think that the problems with the Pond Boss website is somehow interacting with my Personality Suppression Medication (the dosage of which I was forced to increase after the entire Red Ear Sunfish cartoon fiasco) to cause abnormal seriousness. I think that my PBMS will subside once Pond Boss is back to normal operations – if not I will go off my personality suppression medication completely. But if I do I can’t guarantee that Pond Boss won’t suffer the brunt of my unbridled warped sense of humor.

I miss not being able to interact on a regular basis with all of the great folks at Pond Boss. Thanks for asking. And I wish you all a very Merry Christmas as well.
Now lets see if this will post…..

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Seems like the post made it just fine. At least you don't have the stuttering problem that seems to be affecting Theos right now.

He seems to want to repeat himself twice now.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
What are you talking about, Sunil?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
What are you talking about, Sunil?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday