Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,994
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (gehajake, jmartin, Boondoggle, FireIsHot), 1,272 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd really like to be able to throw a 1/16 inch feed or a 3/32.

Do you think this new feeder could do this?

Here's the Purina link, which I believe says I need to buy a Grower 400, or a Grower 300 for my little bluegill next year.

http://aquamax.purinamills.com/aquamaxproductlist.pdf

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bruce I checked for ya. Shoudl work like a champ on the 400 3/32 on the 1/16 size there mght be more within the first 5 feet because it is so small but should not pose problem I'm told.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Would AQMX 600 pellets be too large?

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
George I guess not since larger than 1/4 inch, might get Bruce to try it out if he gets one of these

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Has anyone out their bought a fish feeder by a company called diamond feeders. The reason I ask is that they make one that holds 1000 lbs (I'm sure that is corn and not fish food). I am looking for one that is coon proof or close to it. I am past the fact that I am going to spend a wad of money, the coons eat 600-700 bucks worth of my silver cup and I am tired of feeding them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cody

csmith #109950 03/02/08 06:17 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cody, have you tried hanging the feeders? I talked to a guy that was chapped about feeding hogs. He hung his feeders and tells me that it also whipped coons and squirrels.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/02/08 06:18 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I am trying to pick a feeder also. I have some deer feeders and the raccoons do get it them all the time. I have been looking at a Moultrie feeder that has a door than opens and closes. It looks raccoon proof.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for a good fish feeder?

Moultrie Feeder

12 acre lake in NE Oklahoma
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Has anyone looked at the directional fish feeders at http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/fishfeeders.html? They have 2 feeders that are under $100 that I haven't heard much about:

A) Moultrie® 6 Gallon Directional Fish Feeder Model MFH-PS1
B) AquaPro® Digital Directional Fish Feeder Model - Capacity 25 lbs

These feeders look like they come with a hopper and are similar in price to the Remington 6V feeder that requires a little more work.

Bender #112691 03/24/08 04:35 PM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bruce ordered the feeder in question at the beginning of this thread. Bruce I look forward to your comments when you can try them out.

If any are interested ok 12, others email me we sell Sweeney, Texas Hunter and Aquapro. I give PB members a 5% discount and can over the difference in the feeders and price. Just so folks are clear aquapro is the same as remington and trophy hunter that is just the fish side.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
I'm also anxiously awaiting feedback on the original feeder we were talking about in this thread. I'm ready to buy. I'm just waiting to hear how they're working out for the guinea pigs first. hehe

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just putting them together tonight. Looks like they'll be easy to construct.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Bruce,

I have access to basically an unlimited supply of 55 gallon plastic barrels. Do you think one of them would mount okay on one of these units?

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I don't see a problem with the plastic barrels. I've used them for corn feeders with no problems. However, I think I would buy a deer feeder funnel.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
weissguy for $115 PB price it is good $ deal with the barrel. However it would save on shipping as well I guess? Bruce how do you think the lower unti woudl miunt to jsut any barrell?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm about to go out to the farm tomorrow morning and set the feeders up with my nephew. I like him to participate in the installation, because he also has to participate in the maintenance. I will definitley report back. Should I try to get some pics of the procedure?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...and Weissguy you should come up to the farm sometime and see my operation. Wouldn't be too bad of a drive for you. You could look at the feeders first hand.

Lunker
Lunker
Ooooooh, an invite to the Conderosa! Say hello to M.J. and Hop Sing for me, Weissguy.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
...and Weissguy you should come up to the farm sometime and see my operation. Wouldn't be too bad of a drive for you. You could look at the feeders first hand.

I'd love to visit sometime and see the place! Thanks for the invite. I'm honored. \:\) Better keep a close eye on those big gills though. <insert evil laugh here>

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Bruce:

Any further feedback you can provide on these feeders would be appreciated. I want to buy one (maybe 2) but wanted to know how they worked out for you, first.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Put the check in the mail Monday for one of these feeders, along with 2 batteries.

Too cold to fish, so I guess I got a bit of time to put it together. Vacation next week, so I'll get it done. Hopefully it arrives soon.

Ooops...guess I should have ordered the 6V charger. Oh well, I guess I can get a cheap one locally.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Matt I will ship you a charger for free.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
live and learn I guess. Matt thought I would be a nice guy and ship you the charger since I have several. My employee Matt just handed me the receipt it was $15 for a little tiny box. There was a $5 rural surchagre and a $1 gas fee, then $9 to ship a little box that weighed less 1/2 lb. I will start going to local post office instead of UPS fro small items. Sorry for the rant, but thought folks might want to realize cost for shipping these days if nto aware. What is strange at the sametime got a 25 lb bag of fertilizer to SC for only $3 more, go figure.

Anyway wanted to let you know the feeder should have shipped to you yesterday and the charger is in the mail as well.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Got the thing installed this past Friday...wind hasn't quit blowing since until just this morning. Setup was simple, although I bought new screws to attach the feeder to the bucket...just COULD NOT get the 4th one started, a bit short. No biggie.

During test procedure, my dog, my daughter's dog, the wife and I all found out the I should put a bag over the outlet...before pressing that button.

It's been running since (feeding early AM and 7:30 PM) so we'll see how it goes. Just a 10 sec run for now, til they get back into the routine of feeding. Only hand fed a few times last summer, but prior to that, nearly every night. Fun..

Thanks Greg...our industry feeds to LTL and truckload carrier industry...I KNOW what shipping costs are doing.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
keep us updated on how it is working. My 2 yr old knows how to use mine, he hits the test button then yesterday he bumped the side of the hpopper. Kinda sad the little guy already knows it stays clogged. I'm finally after months almsot out of this feed and will see if I can enlarge the hole, etc. so it does not clog. Once it is in the lower unit it does well.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Greg:

Great little unit and a steal for the price. I LOVE to watch the fish feed, and constantly hit the test button. I must not be feeding to much, as they still eat it all. Course, I only have it set for like 5 seconds, 4 times a day, but after 2.5 weeks, the battery still indicates fully charged.

I've got a couple 30 gallon barrels, so the next one may get mounted on one of those. On the bucket, I ditched the original lid, and removed one from a hydraulic oil bucket, washed it and am using it. With a funnel, I can now just screw off the cap and fill it easily.

I'm ecstatic...now I just need to find a feed vendor closer to home. The elevator I've been using is about 20 miles away...and seems to be having financial difficulties, if the rumors can be believed. I only buy a bag at a time, as the coons living in the barn have even figured out how to get the lid off the barrel I was storing it in.

Thanks...

UPDATE
7/14 - I've set the thing up to feed now twice in the morning and twice in the eveing, plus I tend to tap the "TEST" button whenever I'm down there just watch the fish fee. Only set to run for about 5 secs at a go. I want the fish hungry when I fish for them...it's only "supplemental" feeding anyway, right? Feeding may 1 pound per day.

It's been hanging there for about a month or so now, and the battery just now reads one bar from fully charged. Probably pull her for charging one evening this week.

For the money, I can't have found a better unit. I'll definitely order another for the north pond.

Last edited by Matt Clark; 07/14/08 10:50 AM. Reason: Update

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build