Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99857 10/18/07 09:07 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
After a two year battle with a heart problem my cat “Conan” (named after the movie character due to his fierce nature) died on Tuesday. Conan was a Bengal cat that I had for 11 years. He was a daily companion. I bought him long before it became popular to own a Bengal (in fact before them became a recognized breed). He was 18% Asian Water Leopard and loved water. I use to have a fountain in my office and had to remove it because he would sit in the base pool of the fountain and splash in the falling water. Since my office is in my home he was with us virtually every hour of every day (he was an indoor cat).

Two years ago he had a heart attack, a very rare occurrence in cats. Fortunately we were home at the time and my wife (being an RN that has extensive ER experience) was able to stabilize him while we rushed him to a pet hospital. Although we were able to save him his heart had been damaged (approx 20%). We were told initially that he would only survive 2 months or so. But we were able to nurse him back to health and he recovered nicely. Unfortunately about a month ago he had a second attack which destroyed another section of his heart. The past month has been a very difficult one. He began a downward spiral, losing almost 1/3 of his weight, and he was never able to recover from until last attack and then he passed away in our home on Tuesday.

He was a friend and companion and will be missed. I haven’t been able to find much humor in the past month or so which has probably been reflected in my posts. It’s difficult to watch the decline of a loved pet and feel much joy at the same time.

Here’s a photo of him on the back of my office chair…

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
That's one handsome kitty.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
You have my sincere sympathy Jeff. That's got to hurt.

I have 2 elderly cats myself, and I'm facing the reality of losing my friends all too soon.

I'm amazed every day at how attached I have become to them. Cats are true friends, in the most pure definition of the word. They just need a little food, an occasional pat or rub to become your unconditional lifelong friend. There's something about that special friendship that can make losing a pet hurt more than losing a human friend.

Conan was a beauty, BTW. I have always admired bengals, but was afraid to get one because they say half of them turn out "testy". You obviously had a winner there in your buddy Conan.

Now what Jeff? Do we get a kitten to fill the empty place in our heart, or do we make do with fond memories of our old buddy? Maybe you can help me with that one.

bobad #99871 10/18/07 11:21 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm sorry to hear that Jeff. Put a dog down when I was a kid and it took a while to get over it. I will be really torn up when my present dog goes some day. She's already about 12 years old.

She is spoiled rotten (has her own couch) but I love 'er.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Peace be with Conan, JHAP.

Sorry for your loss.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #99876 10/18/07 12:07 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sorry about that Jeff. That's about the best looking cat I've ever seen. I'm glad you had such a good friend for so long.

Bruce

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm sorry too Jeff. I lost a cat I had about 11 years too about 6 months ago. No special breed just a free black kitten I got once. I still think about her and miss her. But she had her quirks that made her special.

Take care,

Bill

I wish I had the tenacity of GSF!
Sunil #99883 10/18/07 12:46 PM
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
I rescued a stray kitten over 19 years ago. He's still in pretty good shape and manages to boss the other 5 cats in the house. My girlfriend is hopelessly attached to this cat. Even though Cindy is a veterinarian I know that she will be deeply upset when this cat passes.

I'm glad that you had the opportunity to have such a great pet/friend jhap.

GW #99886 10/18/07 01:08 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
[/quote] I'm glad that you had the opportunity to have such a great pet/friend jhap. [quote]

GW makes a good point. Think about the fact that you gave the cat a good home and he reciprocated with his unconditional affection. Then think about all cats out there that are dumped by irresponsible people that are just trying to survive.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/18/07 01:08 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Jeff sorry about the loss. \:\( I know the feeling but you have the satisfaction that you did your best for him and he did likewise. Your fish can be pets for a while until you are ready for the next step. Maybe Dave (DIED) will let you adopt his big cat or a couple of turkeys.

ewest #99905 10/18/07 02:55 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I too am sorry for your loss Jeff.

I have heard of Bengals but had never seen a picture of one. When I was about 13 we found a kitten in a milkshake cup on the side of the road. We gave it to my Aunt who lived alone and it grew to be huge, around 22lbs if I remember correctly and not all that fat. It would go out and catch adult rabbits and bring them up to the house and would jump in the bathtub with my aunt, both I would consider non-typical for a common feline. It looked a lot like your cat but the stripes weren't as broken and it was a little bit more orange. At times it also acted more like a dog than a cat. Could it have been a Bengal?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Lunker
Lunker
RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and
comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
- - - - - -Author Unknown - - - - - -

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeff-man...
Theo's heart-felt post sums it up in my book. For strength in these times, I always reach out to the knowledge that, in divine time, we will someday be reunited with the loved ones that have moved on from this earthly existance.
-
Nice touch, Theo....very nice.
-
Jeff...your PondBoss family sheds united tears for your loss.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Jeff,

The ache will slowly subside, the memories will not.

Pet friends we have lost along the way, gone but not forgotten!

Tubby
Samson
Bear
Brandy
Gizmo

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
hey jeff, jean and i are deeply sorry for your's and ricki's loss.

perhaps sharing our current story will help a little. i'm afraid we are in a similar position as our big orange tom "joe", that i've written about here before
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=16446&fpart=1
he is a mere shadow of his former self and will likely not make it to christmas. he has gone through alot as well. much to the vet's surprise we have kept him going beyond his time. his little body is fighting both kidney failure and hyperthyroidism and he's gone from 18 pounds of solid muscle to about 8 pounds of skin and bones.

frankly, jean is the cat person around here, and i've attempted and learned to cope as best i can (personally my thoughts are that all animals/pets should be outside in the barn or whatever).....that said, as much as i love cats \:\/ , i will miss joe when his time comes, and through this, i feel your pain today brother....hope to see you guys sometime.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Thank you friends for you warm responses, you folks are the greatest. We're (wife and I) are doing better with it. After losing a pet it's strange the little things that you miss. We haven't got use to him not being around yet. I imagine that will take some time.

Time to just refocus I guess. Hopefully my sense of humor will return although perhaps this has given Pond Boss a little break from my pestering. \:\)

Thank you all again for your kind words. You all do feel like family to me, even though I'm probably the one at the family picnic that no one really wants to admit that the're related to.

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 10/21/07 12:42 PM. Reason: lame attempt to insert humor.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
bobad #100045 10/21/07 12:51 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: bobad
I'm amazed every day at how attached I have become to them. Cats are true friends, in the most pure definition of the word. They just need a little food, an occasional pat or rub to become your unconditional lifelong friend. There's something about that special friendship that can make losing a pet hurt more than losing a human friend.

Very true Bobad and well put.

Originally Posted By: bobad

Now what Jeff? Do we get a kitten to fill the empty place in our heart, or do we make do with fond memories of our old buddy? Maybe you can help me with that one.

I don't know the answer. As for my wife and I we are done with pets for a while. We are going to make something positive of this situation and use a pet free life as an opportunity to get up to our property (where the pond is) much more in 2008. In 2007 because of my wife's post car accident surgery and the decline of Conan we stayed in So Cal most of the year. For 2008 our goal is going to be to visit our property as much as possible and begin preparation for construction of what I hope will be our final home.

To fill the pet void I'm going to take to naming some of the deer and squirrels and miscellaneous other critters around the ranch. As far as what's right for you Bobad, I don't know. Other folks immediately replace a lost pet, as for me that just doesn't feel right.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Ryan Freeze
It looked a lot like your cat but the stripes weren't as broken and it was a little bit more orange. At times it also acted more like a dog than a cat. Could it have been a Bengal?

Yes it could have Ryan. There is a huge amount of variety in coloration and stripe (or spot) pattern in Bengals.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Theo, thanks for the poem. I cut and pasted into a word document and have read it several times. What a great sentiment.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
hey jeff, jean and i are deeply sorry for your's and ricki's loss.

frankly, jean is the cat person around here, and i've attempted and learned to cope as best i can (personally my thoughts are that all animals/pets should be outside in the barn or whatever).....that said, as much as i love cats \:\/ , i will miss joe when his time comes, and through this, i feel your pain today brother....hope to see you guys sometime.

Thanks Dave I appreciate it. And be nice to Jean (although I know you always are) because watching the slow demise of a friend is a gut wrenching process that I hope not to have to endure again in the near future.

We are going up in November, I'll email you more about it. Ricki and I hope to see you and Jean then. Thanks for the link. Reading through that gave me a well needed laugh - who'd a thunk that a bunch of pond geeks (and you know who you are) could be so darn funny.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Jeff Man I'm sorry to hear about Conan. I will think of him every time I go through the little town of Cross Plains, Texas. The guy who wrote Conan the Barbarian, believe it or not, was from there. His last name was Howard. They have a festival in his honor every year. He was so saddened by the loss of his mother that he committed suicide at the age of 48, I believe. Anyway, Conan had a Texas connection, so I will say a kitty prayer for him when I pass through Cross Plains.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?